Why do we experience depression in withdrawal?

[St...]

I understand the increase in anxiety, due to the down regulation of the GABA receptors. But where does the depression come from?

The last couple of days my anxiety has seemed to give way to a hopeless depression. I feel so grumpy and exhausted. Granted, I think it might be to do with some life issues, but still it has really taken over.

Id love to know this. depression is my number 1 symptom. its extremely dark and brutal unlike anything ive ever experienced. its very cruel. thanks to the doctor who never mentioned this happens when withdrawing. These doctors are genuinely great at NOT describing what withdrawal is.

I exercise daily. i get about an hour relief after my workout then i spend the rest of the day suffering. its been like this for 6 months. everyday.

I do not know the exact mechanism, nor will I pretend to understand it, but I do know that anxiety, in and of itself, causes depression.  I realize this whole thing is mostly physical.  However, I do believe going through the worst trauma ever (like benzo withdrawals) without the needed understanding and emotional support, sleep, etc. causes much of the deep and dark depression.  Sleep deprivation alone, can cause black depression.  Couple all that with the health aspect of it, along with not being properly cared for or understood.  Sometimes losing things whether people or possessions in our lives.  Also, the sleep deprivation is probably at it's worst (along with many other things) after the drug is gone.  Add on top of all that, the longevity of it, coupled with a new found "reality" that is more painful than anything ever experienced in this life, without even having to have stress or calamity in life.  It's just a bad combination in so many ways.  I think sometimes we forget the complexity and severity of what we're experiencing after having suffered so bad for so long.  We can also be too hard on ourselves.  There are so many factors that can contribute to the physical depression.  The list is endless.  So many "deaths inside us" take place during this journey.

Kindly,

j

PS - Keep in mind that depression itself can cause anger.  Go easy on yourself if you're being too hard on yourself.

Friends, who would NOT be depressed going through what we do? You went off a really bad drug and now are in withdrawal. That alone can caused deep depression. You are suffering though BWD which can make one feel as if hell on earth does exist.

This depression, IMO, is chemically caused. Benzos work on your brain, right?? Your amygdala is your Fear Center, and benzos " dull that, damp that part, down. When you go OFF benzos by any way., the brain over reacts. causing intense fear, anxiety and yes, depression.

This too will pass. You just have to heal more, and once you do, that depression should lift.

Keep on going forward. You WILL reach the finish line just as I did.

east

• 1 month later...
I have noticed in myself that it’s the crash from the high anxiety. Almost like in bipolar disorder where a person goes from highs (mania) and then crashes to lows (depression).

Friends, who would NOT be depressed going through what we do? You went off a really bad drug and now are in withdrawal. That alone can caused deep depression. You are suffering though BWD which can make one feel as if hell on earth does exist.

This depression, IMO, is chemically caused. Benzos work on your brain, right?? Your amygdala is your Fear Center, and benzos " dull that, damp that part, down. When you go OFF benzos by any way., the brain over reacts. causing intense fear, anxiety and yes, depression.

This too will pass. You just have to heal more, and once you do, that depression should lift.

Keep on going forward. You WILL reach the finish line just as I did.

east

This is a good n encouraging post.

Kindly

j