Help me please🙏🏼

[De...]

5 weeks off!

Last month I decided to go to a detox center and come off Clonazepam under medical supervision. I did a 7 day detox and by day 8 I was in the ER, felt like I was going to die. And that’s how I feel every day ever since. Now I know that I practically CT.  I’m barely functional, in bed all day. I’m a mom of 3, two of which are special needs and I haven’t been able to take care of them.  I called a non profit program called Point of Return, they have helped thousands of people come of benzos safely. I was told that I should reinstate and that they would help me slowly taper from it as it should have been done. I’m terrified to go back on them, but I’m going through hell right now. Is it dangerous to start again?  What’s is kindling?  Can a slow taper be the answer?  Will I ever get my life back?😭

Please! Anyone that can shed some light? I can’t do this anymore!!!!

I agree with them, definitely go back on and then when stable, do a long, slow taper.  No need to go to Point of Return and spend money on the supplements they will try to sell you.  You can get help right here on BB to do a symptoms based taper that will allow you to get free.  This is my opinion and I wish you best of luck.

Eight days is a flat-out cold turkey. Clonazepam is long-acting and the withdrawal symptoms usually continue to worsen for around two weeks, so no wonder you ended up in the ER.

Reinstatement with a slow taper (after a stabilization period of usually at least two weeks for the Clonazepam to fully be working) is certainly an option and one I personally would most likely choose if it were my decision.

Not everyone will agree. There are only opinions and personal experiences about reinstatement, and no one can predict how anyone else will react to going back on medication or in continuing a cold turkey withdrawal.

Thank you for replying!!!❤️🙏🏼  I was on .5 of Clonazepam 2 x a day.  So on what dose should I start on? Half? Is it dangerous?  Will it make things worse. I’m alone with my kids sitting in my room with the pill bottle scared to death wondering, if I get an adverse reaction, what will happen to my kids?😭😭😭😭😭

Yes, it's possible it can make things worse, since your nervous system is likely hypersensitized. If you reinstate, you should use a very small dose to start off, maybe 1/10 of the original dose, just in case you have a bad reaction.

I think you should tell us why you chose to go off and how long you were on Clonazepam.  Did you have a previous adverse drug reaction?

I chose to come off because of all the bad stuff I kept reading about Benzos.  I only had bad reactions to SSRI but I’m not on any other meds right now.  What would 1/ 10 of .5 mg be ?

First of all, its good you were on a fairly low dose. I was on Klonapin 6 mgs when I went CT. NOT good.

Challis tells me you are having trouble navigating around the forum, and I want to help you with this. Difficulty with this is utterly normal. It took me several weeks before I figured it (sot of) out. A brain in benzo withdrawal oes NOT function too well!

Please let us know what you decide to do, as all of want to help you. And let us know what sorts of troubles you are having figuring out how to USE this forum. It can be daunting, but is doable. I am NOT a techie sort of woman. I own a cell phone but don't even know how to use 'apps." NOR do I want to! Call me old fashioned, I don't care. BenzoBuddies saved my life and I will always be grateful for that. So let me know how I can help you find your way around here, okay?

Tapering does not guarantee you wont have withdrawal symptoms. Nothing can do that. Tapering is considered safer because it usually prevents the unusual  symptom of seizures. Tapers supposedly lessen withdrawal symptoms, but to be honest, I have met far too many people suffering greatly on a taper.

Here is what I can tell you in utter honesty. A taper was NOT something I could have done back then. I was deeply addicted both mentally and physically. I took benzos nightly for thirty years, die to intractable insomnia. Over time my health grew worse and worse and I did not ever think my benzos were the cause. I had a truly bad wd. But I got through it somehow.

You have to decide what YOU can endure. Choosing to taper or go CT is a totally personal opinion, one based on how YOU feel and what YOU think you can endure. I am delighted you found us!!!! First step towards a great recovery. Please feel free to drop by my new Success Story, 'Eastcoasts Trip Two." I have tried to detail what my own wd was like in the hopes it might hep someone else.

BIG HUG to you!

east

I apologize if I’m not posting correctly I don’t understand this site. 

I was on it for more or less 8 months.  And SSRIs made me suicidal and zombie like.  Why would taking half a Clonazepam cause a bad reaction?  Shouldn’t it have the opposite effect and calm me, relieve me?  I’m on my witts end because my symptoms have become unbearable.

We can only offer opinions and personal experiences here. No one, not even a doctor or someone who has also been on 1mg, or even if you yourself had gone c/t and reinstated in the past, can know how reinstatement will go.

I would also agree with reinstating cautiously and keep in mind changes to symptoms may not be quick because clonazepam is long-acting. Changes in dosing can take two weeks to take effect.

So...all those disclaimers being made, if I were in the situation you’ve described I would most likely take half or a whole .5mg tablet and would expect at least some relief within a few hours. I would not take more than 1mg total in 24 hours.

I chose to come off because of all the bad stuff I kept reading about Benzos.  I only had bad reactions to SSRI but I’m not on any other meds right now.  What would 1/ 10 of .5 mg be ?

0.05mg. It doesn't have to be perfect. You may want to read this first: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

I was on it for more or less 8 months.  And SSRIs made me suicidal and zombie like.  Why would taking half a Clonazepam cause a bad reaction?  Shouldn’t it have the opposite effect and calm me, relieve me?  I’m on my witts end because my symptoms have become unbearable.

You’re doing just fine.

In my opinion taking clonazepam should lead to relief.

Thank you for responding DelMar, you're doing really well finding this thread over and over.  At the top left of the screen under your name it says, two lines down, SHOW NEW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS.

We can only offer opinions and personal experiences here. No one, not even a doctor or someone who has also been on 1mg, or even if you yourself had gone c/t and reinstated in the past, can know how reinstatement will go.

I would also agree with reinstating cautiously and keep in mind changes to symptoms may not be quick because clonazepam is long-acting. Changes in dosing can take two weeks to take effect.

So...all those disclaimers being made, if I were in the situation you’ve described I would most likely take half or a whole .5mg tablet and would expect at least some relief within a few hours. I would not take more than 1mg total in 24 hours.

I agree with Challis. 

I’m going to post in answer to PM questions....

Yes, a slow taper is nearly guaranteed to be easier than continuing a c/t withdrawal. It gives the brain and body time to adjust to lowered drug levels. A c/t is a huge shock to the central nervous system, hence all the symptoms you’re having. 

Withdrawal symptoms are not usually dangerous other than seizures (associated with high doses and within the first week or two of withdrawal, not likely five weeks later), but they can be close to intolerable to live with.

I believe it is highly likely you will get relief from the clonazepam.  I wouldn’t expect all symptoms to go away immediately, though. I would expect them to become much more tolerable in the next two weeks. Some symptoms are likely to stick around as you taper and that would be normal for this process.

If I were in your shoes I’d take .5mg and expect some relief. I would not take more than 1mg in 24 hours.

I'd take the reinstate, slow taper route too, DelMar.

Single parent, 3 kids, 2 with special needs makes this a no brainer if you ask me. 

I hope there is some support being given by your extended family. 

Dee

:smitten:

I just took some CBD tincture that arrived yesterday and it’s not helping😭 I’ve been up since 3am again with a panic because I feel like I want to take a Clonazepam but so many ppl have scared me into not doing it.  The what if’s keep haunting me.  In your experience in this forum has anyone reinstated and had a life threatning  experience ?  If I take it now could it interact with the CBD ?  If I do decide to reinstate, is it wise to wait til later to do so ?  Plain and simple I’m scared that if I take a pill that it will heighten my symptoms and I will die or end up in the ER. Is that possible ???😭

I just took some CBD tincture that arrived yesterday and it’s not helping😭 I’ve been up since 3am again with a panic because I feel like I want to take a Clonazepam but so many ppl have scared me into not doing it.  The what if’s keep haunting me.  In your experience in this forum has anyone reinstated and had a life threatning  experience ?  If I take it now could it interact with the CBD ?  If I do decide to reinstate, is it wise to wait til later to do so ?  Plain and simple I’m scared that if I take a pill that it will heighten my symptoms and I will die or end up in the ER. Is that possible ???😭

If you're going to reinstate, you should do it as soon as possible. It should help, just don't expect miracles. I don't know of any life-threatening experiences. Just be conservative and try a small dose first to make sure you don't have a paradoxical reaction.

CBD is not psychoactive, so there should be no interaction.

If you're going to reinstate, you should do it as soon as possible. It should help, just don't expect miracles. I don't know of any life-threatening experiences. Just be conservative and try a small dose first to make sure you don't have a paradoxical reaction.

CBD is not psychoactive, so there should be no interaction.

Ok, what is a paradoxical reaction?????😳

Hello,

It seems like many people have tried to reassure you that reinstatement followed by a nice slow taper might be a good idea.

I was given ativan for a medical issue ( inner ear). I had to stop cold turkey for a medical test and my doctor said I would be fine and might have 'flu' symptoms for a couple of days. It was horrible. I could not walk without holding on to the walls, I had tremendous headaches, muscle pain, shaking.... the list goes on and on.  Sadly, no one recognized that this was due to withdrawal.  After being so sick for quite a while, I finally saw a psychiatrist believing that maybe the doctor was right and I did have an anxiety problem. This was weird because I never had one before. 

I had been off ativan for more than 6 weeks when the psych doc put me on clonazepam.  I didn't have problems with it and initially it helped me and I did stabilize.

Maybe my experience will help relieve the fear you are having.

In your shoes, I would also reinstate and stabilize and plan a slow and sensible taper.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hello,

It seems like many people have tried to reassure you that reinstatement followed by a nice slow taper might be a good idea.

I was given ativan for a medical issue ( inner ear). I had to stop cold turkey for a medical test and my doctor said I would be fine and might have 'flu' symptoms for a couple of days. It was horrible. I could not walk without holding on to the walls, I had tremendous headaches, muscle pain, shaking.... the list goes on and on.  Sadly, no one recognized that this was due to withdrawal.  After being so sick for quite a while, I finally saw a psychiatrist believing that maybe the doctor was right and I did have an anxiety problem. This was weird because I never had one before. 

I had been off ativan for more than 6 weeks when the psych doc put me on clonazepam.  I didn't have problems with it and initially it helped me and I did stabilize.

In your shoes, I would also reinstate and stabilize and plan a slow and sensible taper.

Thank you so much pianogirl🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Your experience is definitely reassuring but someone mentioned paradoxical reaction, do you know what that is and is it dangerous?

Hello,

Thank you so much pianogirl🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Your experience is definitely reassuring but someone mentioned paradoxical reaction, do you know what that is and is it dangerous?

Don't worry about it, if you overthink this it will make things tougher.  Paradoxical means that the benzo doesn't work as planned but it is not dangerous. 

PG  :smitten: