Anyone tried Lamictal?

[Li...]

My doctor is considering starting me on Lamictal while tapering. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for over a year now and my AD's aren't kicking in. Previously, when I went through a&d AD's (Effexor and Seroquel) gave me my life back. Has anyone tried Lamictal and tapered benzos at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor is considering starting me on Lamictal while tapering. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for over a year now and my AD's aren't kicking in. Previously, when I went through a&d AD's (Effexor and Seroquel) gave me my life back. Has anyone tried Lamictal and tapered benzos at the same time?

I know it helped some people here to taper the BZD. It is a mood stabilizer.

Pretty sure that is a med I was put on years ago. It made me go from my normal 120 pounds to 186 pounds. The most I've ever weighed in my life. All of these meds have their own can of worms. Unless you really need it. I would just ride out w/d.

Pretty sure that is a med I was put on years ago. It made me go from my normal 120 pounds to 186 pounds. The most I've ever weighed in my life. All of these meds have their own can of worms. Unless you really need it. I would just ride out w/d.

It seems that there are many people who don't gain weight on it. People react so differently to meds. Like many people lose weight on Wellbutrin. It made me eat like a pig. The chief reason why I had to go CT after three weeks.

I only took one lamotrigine pill in the past. I felt so strange that I never tried it again. I couldn't think. I couldn't move. I felt as though I were paralyzed. I haven't taken mood stabilizers for a really long time.

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't decided what to do. I am feeling slightly better. Still anxious every morning but afternoons and evenings i have been almost symptom free! Down to 10 mg oxazepam (5 mg V) and tapering 0,4 mg each day. That means 25 days left. Knock on wood!

I’ve been on lamictal as long as the lorazapam. I’m now not sure what it’s purpose was. I’m tapering off of lorazapam now/ but Dr. told me one at a time. So another drug I’ll be tapering off/ hopefully it doesn’t take as long. Was prescribed Gabapentin to help with the interdose withdrawal.                           

Tapering from 3mg of lorazapam. Started in July-using liquid form and am down to 2.44

Hi Lilly,

I suffer from Major Depression Disorder.  When I'm in an episode I also suffer from anxiety.  My episodes have become very severe over time and anti-depressants stopped working for me.  I am currently taking Lamictal for the first time.  I slowly titrated up to 200mgs. over a period of several weeks.  Finally my depression/anxiety lifted.  I wish I did not have to take medication but my symptoms are too severe.  At least for now Lamictal seems to be helping me.  I might need to stay on it forever.  I know it has become more common recently to prescribe Lamictal for Major Depression Disorder.  It is also prescribed for Bi-polar II and is supposed to especially help prevent the depression.

I wish you the very best of luck and relief from your symptoms. 

Blessings,

Luey.

Im starting it today. My doctor did a nuclear SPECT  brain scan which showed up that I have too much Glutamate and not enough Gaba. he says this med helps bring the 2 into balance but it takes about a month

Im starting it today. My doctor did a nuclear SPECT  brain scan which showed up that I have too much Glutamate and not enough Gaba. he says this med helps bring the 2 into balance but it takes about a month

Good luck! I hope this works out for the both of us.

Following. I've been struggling with severe depression and anger for 17 months now. My sleep is still bad and I feel like I'm only getting worse over time. I don't know what to do at this point.

Following. I've been struggling with severe depression and anger for 17 months now. My sleep is still bad and I feel like I'm only getting worse over time. I don't know what to do at this point.

You should consult a psychiatrist. Nobody should have to suffer from depression for this long. ADs have worked well for me in the past. Hopefully Lamictal will do the trick this time. I will keep you posted. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Two days on 12,5 mg. So far so good. Zero side effects - I am very sensitive when it comes to adjusting to new meds. 25 mg tonight and for the next two weeks. Hope to be able to continue my benzo taper soon.

Hi Lilly,

Hang in there.  It takes several weeks to titrate up to an amount that works.  It's tough waiting.  When I finally increased to 200mg, it's like my depression/anxiety lifted overnight.  I also know a couple of people who were helped with 100mg.  I haven't felt any side effects from it.  My pdoc says it has a very low side effect profile for her clients who are taking it.

Take good care and keep the faith.  Everything changes and you will feel better.

Blessings,

Luey

Continuing my taper. Hoping to be benzo free in approx. 3 weeks. Now two days on 12,5 mg L and 5 days on 50 mg. No serious side effects. Slight nausea. Feeling low every morning but better in the afternoons and evenings. My pattern. Hopefully this morning anxiety and depression will lift as a I titrate the Lamictal.

I have horrible side effects to all drugs now including g Tylenol.

Neuro has put me on Topirimate which is horrible.

You all seem to be ok on Lamictal.

Can I ask if any of you have had horrible side effects to other drugs including Benzos but have found the Lamictal ok and has helped with paradoxical effects from Benzos?

I have horrible side effects to all drugs now including g Tylenol.

Neuro has put me on Topirimate which is horrible.

You all seem to be ok on Lamictal.

Can I ask if any of you have had horrible side effects to other drugs including Benzos but have found the Lamictal ok and has helped with paradoxical effects from Benzos?

Horrible side effects from Effexor was the reason why I was put on benzos in the first place. I am really sensitive to new meds but so far Lamictal seems to be OK. Hope it will be effective. It takes a couple of weeks to titrate to an effective dosage.

I need something g to help side effects and WD from Benzos as need to be on them for severe muscle contracture.

Should never havectried to come off of diazepam.

I get horrific sysmptoms even from Tylenol and from glycerine in toothpaste atm.

Did you taper your benzo while titrating Lamictal?

Hi Lilly, Sorry I just saw this as I don't often look at other threads besides the Ativan Support Group.  No I didn't taper Ativan while titrating Lamictal.  I needed to feel better first.  Once my depression lifted I started tapering right away.  I hope you are doing well.  Hang in there it can take several weeks to get to a therapeutic dose.  Luey

OK, this is not about lamictal, but interested in what your psychiatrist says.

Is it the same with Lyrica?  You get up to a dose that works so you can function then taper down the benzo at some point?

I have not tried lamictal but seems like many people are put on gabapentin, some on lyrica.

Just wondering... I am in a bad place.  Lyrica kind of seems to help but am afraid of drugs now and cannot tolerate much.

thx, guys!

Did you taper your benzo while titrating Lamictal?

Hi Lilly, Sorry I just saw this as I don't often look at other threads besides the Ativan Support Group.  No I didn't taper Ativan while titrating Lamictal.  I needed to feel better first.  Once my depression lifted I started tapering right away.  I hope you are doing well.  Hang in there it can take several weeks to get to a therapeutic dose.  Luey

Hi Luey. Thanks for the reply! In 3 weeks I will be up to 100 mg and 200 mg in 5 weeks. Hoping Lamuctal will do the trick for me. I understand your depression and anxiety has been treatment resistant as well. I had huge long-term success on Effexor and Seroquel 10 years ago. No depression or anxiety for 8 years. When I started Effexor again 14 months ago in a stressful period - to prevent being hit by anxiety and depression -  my world turned upside down within 24 hours from taking the first pill. Terrible side effects! Benzo instated to cope. Never worked, neither Effexor nor the benzo : ( Crossed over to Cymbalta. Still no success. 17 days left until benzo free. My withdrawal symptoms are purely phsycological: Anxiety and depression. The symptoms my ADs and benzos were supposed to treat in the first place. Super frustrating.

Good luck to you on your journey!