WHEN DO YOU REALIZE YOU'VE CRASHED AND NEED A RESCUE DOSE? DESPERATE

[Di...]

Friends...

I am 6-1/2 weeks out from my last dose of Xanax (.5 mgs/day, weaned down to .25/mgs for 3 weeks then jumped.  I don't think I weaned nearly long enough.. and wondered for those who have truly hit rock bottom, when you realized that A)  You need a rescue dose or B)  You need to go back on a longer acting med (like Valium) and redo the taper much slower.

HOW long does relief come if you take a rescue dose??  Is it fairly immediate.. or does it take a day (or days).  I've tried Gabapentin, Busaprone...with little relief, but many

I had a pretty horrific first week with bad attacks, but had improved for the most part over the last 4 weeks (with some good windows, some uncomfortable moments), but improving.

The last 4 days has seen a VERY BAD CRASH!  I have returned to the Acute Phase of attacks and now have horrendous nerve pain in my head, back and during attacks. arms.  I know this healing goes up and down, but this is a bad, bad crash and my attacks are getting worse.  I am so close to hitting the ER when this happens but I know they'll just pump me full of meds.

My regular dr is worthless...and I don't know where to turn for relief.  I know this is hard, but I was hysterical with this last attack.

PLEASE HELP!! 

You've had a rough time of it Diana.  Anaphylaxis, 2 hospitalisations, and withdrawal high dose steroids.  With this on top, it's no wonder you feel hysterical.

You are only 6 1/2 weeks out and it can be pretty rugged around this time.  I can remember it well. 

It's up to you whether to reinstate and taper more slowly, just as it is up to you if you take a rescue dose.  Listen and take heed of your body, you'll know what you need to do.  Just for the record, I took a rescue dose and it didn't do me much good.

Now, at nearly 6 months off v I can see improvement.  This too, considered early days.  :(:)

Hang in imho Diana, 6 1/2 weeks is really early days. 

Dee

:smitten:

Diana. I'm so sorry. I know what you are going through. We all have probably been in this situation, the body screams for a rescue dose. I thought my heart, and belly, would wear out. Panic and sweating.

Week 8, a little devil sat on my shoulder and shouted ”rescue dose!”  >:D Have you heard the phrase "comb the carpet to find a pill?” I did. And I was looking e v e r y w h e r e. I felt crazy. 

And I found a little blue, in a pair of pants in my closet. So beautiful! I didn't hesitate for a second. My body was ”soft and smooth”. I was in heaven 2-3 hours. No longer. And then the doors of Heaven were closed with a big bang. I was back in hell; DR/DP and hallucinations. Worse than ever.

I never forget this feeling, so dangerous. I listened to the little devil on my shoulder. And I’m absolutely sure he laughed. But thankfully, no more rescue dose. Then my suffering had been completely in vain.

I have read that many people don't experience anything at a rescue dose. But I think it can be very bad, if it is something positive. Then it can be very difficult to resist, and a very high risk that you are stuck. And everything that have been built up, will be torn down.

I know your life is very hard, but a rescue dose is not good. Probably even worse.

:smitten:

I could not have continued unless I crossed over to valium. The interdose crashes on xanax were too much for me. It's a marathon not a sprint. Slow down if you feel you need to. You will heal, we all will. I learned the hard way about too large of cuts. Follow your instincts.

I could not have continued unless I crossed over to valium. The interdose crashes on xanax were too much for me. It's a marathon not a sprint. Slow down if you feel you need to. You will heal, we all will. I learned the hard way about too large of cuts. Follow your instincts.

Good for you Joy on your progress. Don't get used to updosing. Does not always work so well when folks get lower. Try to push thru. You will get there!!!!

Translator, what a great post, describing such enormous desperation for "the pill." I have been in those shoes and did something similar more than once, but NOT after I went CT off benzos and SSRIS. Some small part of my brain just told me I HAD to keep pushing on no matter how awful wd was for me. And I am so glad I listened to that little voice.

I have an addictive personality and always have. I take after my father, I guess. At 18 I became briefly addicted to meth, and that is when I personally combed the carpet. Glad I got off that awful stuff, but of course I went on to other sorts of drugs in excess. This is NOT something I am proud of. Hardly. Deeply ashamed, but its all a part of who I truly am and I can no longer pretend otherwise. Getting off benzos was the worst thing I ever went through, and I have been through some truly awful stuff. Benzo wd was simply awful for me, but it also taught me so damn much!

Thanks for a provoking post, one that made me think.

Translator, what a great post, describing such enormous desperation for "the pill." I have been in those shoes and did something similar more than once, but NOT after I went CT off benzos and SSRIS. Some small part of my brain just told me I HAD to keep pushing on no matter how awful wd was for me. And I am so glad I listened to that little voice.

I have an addictive personality and always have. I take after my father, I guess. At 18 I became briefly addicted to meth, and that is when I personally combed the carpet. Glad I got off that awful stuff, but of course I went on to other sorts of drugs in excess. This is NOT something I am proud of. Hardly. Deeply ashamed, but its all a part of who I truly am and I can no longer pretend otherwise. Getting off benzos was the worst thing I ever went through, and I have been through some truly awful stuff. Benzo wd was simply awful for me, but it also taught me so damn much!

Thanks for a provoking post, one that made me think.

Stop feeling ashamed. That was in the past. you are a new person helping others now!!!