CBT today - maybe you’d like to try some of what I’ve learnt

[Pu...]

Hello

I thought it might be a good idea to put down some bits I’m doing with CBT, it’s only my 4th session but have a few new tools to help. For those who suffer anxiety low mood looping thoughts dread etc (I do along with some physical symptoms too) these ideas might be worth trying.

5,4,3,2,1 - this is to help with distraction, I do this whilst out walking or even when I’m in the house staring out of the window!

5 things you can see

4 things you can hear

3 things you can touch

2 things you can smell

1 thing you can taste

Get a note pad, write down things you have achieved in the day or anything positive, this can be as simple as taking the rubbish out to the bin, walking around the block, washing your hair, cooking a meal, going into a shop, pretty much anything that you have achieved, the idea being that when you feel you e had a terrible week you can look back over what you’ve achieved and realise you can do way more than you think

Meditate a couple of times a day, short ones are better if your really struggling with anxiety because it takes a lot of energy to keep going back to your breath so many times when your head is constantly distracted, you can build up to longer meditations when your more practiced, I use a guided body scan, there’s lots on YouTube.

Belly breathing- there are lots of techniques for belly breathing the one I do is breath in deep for 3 seconds hold for 4 seconds  breath out for 5 seconds, do this as many times as you remember through the day but obviously not whilst walking or any other exercising.

Write down what your worried about, note how it’s making you feel, score how anxious or upset you feel 1-10 then write down if it is a real worry or a hypothetical one, we don’t know the future so most are hypothetical, if you want you can also write down a more balanced view.

Mindful moments - I keep forgetting to do this! So whilst washing the dishes r folding laundry, pretty much anything even eating, take some moments to really think about what your doing, feel, touch, smell, colour, sound etc, it’s about engaging your brain into thinking about some else for a few seconds.

I know only to well what a horrible struggle this nightmare is but with using some techniques maybe not these ones you may have your own but we can change our thought process we have 24/7 negative thoughts, frustrating thoughts, sad thoughts, horrible symptoms etc so maybe give some new techniques a go I know I’m trying too, I particularly like the 5,4,3,2,1 and writing down the positive/achievement notes, also trying to get back into regular meditation.

Anyway just thought I’d update on my CBT and if this helps just one person it will be worth it.

PO

Glad the CBT worked for you pushing on I tried it but my Intrusive thoughts are so intense it didn't work for me. It does sound more like mindfulness rather than tradional CBT you are having. I think depends on how good the therapist is and how severe you symptoms are. Certainly didn't help me but we are all different. Think you need have lot sessions and I could only have 6 on NHS.

Hi Leann

It’s a work in progress it doesn’t work instantly it’s a case of doing it as part of everyday for a long time , my intrusive thoughts are constant too, we need to slowly but surly flood our minds with more things other than intrusive thoughts it’s not a quick fix.

It sounds to me with only 6 sessions that you were doing level 1 CBT which is an introduction to CBT, if you ask for level 3 you will get 20 sessions and they are more focused on changing mind set, this is on the NHS and will be a national thing.

Hope things get a bit better for you soon I know your having a hard time, you will heal, we all will.

PO

Maybe depends where you live 6 sessions then that's it where I live she just told me the same as I'd read in a book. Saw a psychotherapist for few sessions was very dismissive of CBT but glad it works for you. I'm trying low dose anti depressants for few months obviously people they work for aren't going to post on here. But when gets to point you can't go out the house calls for desperate measures. My therapist was only 1 here as was pretty rubbish good luck with yours anyway

Hey Leann

Don’t be so hard on yourself AD do work for some and I hope they help you, you have to do what is right for you that’s the main thing.

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you get you get some relief soon, it’s a very tough time.

PO

Thank you for kind words. Was very resistant to them but after 7 months felt like I didn't want be here. Very low dose and only intend be on them maybe 6 months. Friend taken ones I'm on came off them easily. Just started so early days. Glad CBT is working for you. Availability obviously different where you live I was only offered 6 weeks no choice of extending the sessions.

Have you found any help lines in UK. I've sometimes rung Bristol Tranquilliser Unit very supportive but anti taking anything else so probably won't contact them at moment. No support generally from NHS, gp referred me to a psychiatrist most probably be better by time get appointment