Unsure of taper

[Se...]

Struggling to stop urbanol usage for 2 and a half years. Dr has me on a very fast taper with an introduction of trepiline to combat withdrawal.

Hello Seeker123,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Unfortunately some doctors favor a very fast taper from benzos. While this may work for a certain percentage of people, for others a fast taper can be difficult.

Are you able to get a supply of urbanol so you could self direct your taper?

Generally, a slow taper will help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

You'll find a wealth of good information and support here.  We understand the process and hopefully you can find a plan that is gentler on your nervous system. Please ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Hello pianogirl. Thank you, I appreciate it.

I do have a supply of urbanol. I'm worried about a very fast taper and the introduction of more medication that I've never before used.  I'm so sceptical of drs now, that I don't know if I should try the method from the Dr or if I should try manage myself.

What I absolutely do know is I need to stop this medication. It has me feeling like an empty shell of a person and it has caused much aggression as a side effect.

I did a cold turkey for 12 weeks. It was living hell and I stupidly went back on the medication. I'm 12 weeks back on them now.

Welcome Seeker:

Did you get the help you need to begin a slow taper of this medication?

I would be glad to help with that or direct you to a site where you can find help.  I'll be watching for any reply.

There is a lot to learn about this process so I hope you are still with us so that we can support you to this end.

Wishing you bright, shiny windows.

Klonkar