Has anyone successfully eliminated panic disorder?

[Xr...]

Hey fellow buddies. Need some words of hope here cause my panic disorder symptoms came back this afternoon. Has anyone been diagnosed with panic disorder and successfully healed completely? I'm having one of those blah evenings where I feel like curling up in a ball and hiding. This was one of the reasons I went on benzos in the first place alfor 3 months and now that I'm off of them I was secretly hoping the original condition would be gone (yeap I know I'm a dummy). Good news is I had a great 2 days before this.

It takes a long time to heal from benzo's, so until that happens, you can't make the determination that your original problem has returned.  I've found many, including myself who suffer so much from the benzo's that the pre-condition is nothing compared to it and life is good. 

If you had two good days, then what you're feeling now is definitely benzo withdrawal, not your original issue, just give yourself more time to heal.

Thanks, its just so difficult especially with panic disorder to know what is withdrawal and what is my original condition. To be honest my original attack that lead to panic disorder was only 3 months ago and already I don't remember how i felt between the original attack and my first pill of benzo so its hard to judge if I'm getting better or not. I would of gone crazy if it wasn't for all of you.

That was my biggest fear with stopping the Klonopin use.....Damn panic attacks. I am really suprised that there has almost only been 1 so far and deep breathing got me through it. I still feel anxiety at times that I really don't need, but it is so much better since I quit the meds. I know that forgettng my meds in the past would put me in panic mode. Lucky I found a great shrink last year and his focus was to work with me to get off the meds. The sessions were emotionally painfull at times and we worked on the underlying why for the panic. Be strong and remember that you can beat this, I promise you that.

Hey fellow buddies. Need some words of hope here cause my panic disorder symptoms came back this afternoon. Has anyone been diagnosed with panic disorder and successfully healed completely?

Yes, well at least no panic attacks for 7 months now. and believe me, I had them bad.  It took awhile, plus getting off benzos. The last severe one I had was during my taper in December 09.

Hey fellow buddies. Need some words of hope here cause my panic disorder symptoms came back this afternoon. Has anyone been diagnosed with panic disorder and successfully healed completely?

Yes, well at least no panic attacks for 7 months now. and believe me, I had them bad.  It took awhile, plus getting off benzos. The last severe one I had was during my taper in December 09.

Thanks man. Quick question. Were you originally on the K for panic attacks?

Thanks man. Quick question. Were you originally on the K for panic attacks?

Yes, My story began with lyme disease. Here is a copy/paste of the symptom I had bolded out:

Cardiac symptoms — Inflammation of the heart occurs in 8 percent or less of adults with untreated Lyme disease. This inflammation may interfere with the normal conduction of electrical impulses through the heart, causing a condition called atrioventricular block or heart block. Heart block can cause a slower than normal heart rate, lightheadedness and fainting, or may cause no symptoms at all.

I frequently visited the ER after I was cured of lyme, panicking  I was having symptoms, heart failure. This went on for a long time.. atleast twice a month (at the hospital full blown panic) until I began taking klono to keep me out of the hospital. My doctor felt I was wasting insurance money, going to the ER and I should just take klono and live a anxiety free life. 1mg three times a day    :D

[f9...]

I have had panic and anxiety for years now; and it's getting frustrating  :pokey:

I just lay down and go with it, what else can one do?

There are always breathing techniques and so on, but I find when I had anxiety and panic before any Benzo use, when I tried the breathing technique..I would hyperventilate at times.

Is a mystery to me.

Keryn.

I have had panic and anxiety for years now; and it's getting frustrating  :pokey:

There are always breathing techniques and so on, but I find when I had anxiety and panic before any Benzo use, when I tried the breathing technique..I would hyperventilate at times.

Is a mystery to me.

Keryn.

I've also been suffering anxiety and panic for years. When I was given Ativan - it was wonderful for me. I'm not gonna lie! But once I read more about the drug, I decided to get off of it. I feel my panic attacks coming back and I hate it - but I've promised myself not to take more Ativan.

I'm going to start therapy soon. I've read that cognitive behavioral therapy works quite well for panic.

[f9...]

Is a mystery to me.

Keryn.

I've also been suffering anxiety and panic for years. When I was given Ativan - it was wonderful for me. I'm not gonna lie! But once I read more about the drug, I decided to get off of it. I feel my panic attacks coming back and I hate it - but I've promised myself not to take more Ativan.

I'm going to start therapy soon. I've read that cognitive behavioral therapy works quite well for panic.

I admit when I first started Klonopin, I thought it was a Godsend and it killed the anxiety and panic until I built a tolerance.

As much as I hate Klonopin, and I do..it works, but for a short while, same as all Benzodiazpoisons.

You made the right choice by getting off it  :thumbsup:

I started out on Ativan 2mg a day but I took more than that, I couldn't tell you how many I took, it was a lot.

I thought about a therapist myself.

Keryn.

Is a mystery to me.

Keryn.

I admit when I first started Klonopin, I thought it was a Godsend and it killed the anxiety and panic until I built a tolerance.

As much as I hate Klonopin, and I do..it works, but for a short while, same as all Benzodiazpoisons.

I started out on Ativan 2mg a day but I took more than that, I couldn't tell you how many I took, it was a lot.

Keryn.

You really should give therapy a try, why not?! There are many therapists that do not push drugs on their patients, and in fact, really dislike benzos. CB Therapy is supposed to be amazing. I've read so many stories about it changing people's lives. My hurdle now is actually getting into therapy. I want to go, but my anxiety and panic makes it hard for me to actually do it.

If you do start therapy, let us know how it's working for you! Good luck.

Just called today to schedule my first appointment with a CBT psychologist. I'll start a new thread with the progress as soon as I go in.

Just called today to schedule my first appointment with a CBT psychologist. I'll start a new thread with the progress as soon as I go in.

Wonderful news!!!! I hope it goes well for you! Can't wait to read about your experiences. Here's to you!  :thumbsup:

[f9...]

Is a mystery to me.

Keryn.

Keryn.

You really should give therapy a try, why not?! There are many therapists that do not push drugs on their patients, and in fact, really dislike benzos. CB Therapy is supposed to be amazing. I've read so many stories about it changing people's lives. My hurdle now is actually getting into therapy. I want to go, but my anxiety and panic makes it hard for me to actually do it.

If you do start therapy, let us know how it's working for you! Good luck.

I was seeing a therapist 30 mins from me until I couldn't travel that far anymore. She was ok I find, but it was like she didn't get the point of w/d.

I think it's best to wait after w/d to seek out therapy. She didn't push drugs, in fact she made fun of Psychiatry in her own way. Label me this and that..she was against labeling lol. Maybe 3 or 4 years when I'm healed she will still be around lol. Many therapists tell me my problem isn't psychological, more Neurological.. hard to explain, I have a checkered history with the medical staff and so on.

Keryn.

I dont have panic disorder, but lately having extreme panic attacks. One night it was so strong that I was shaking and my body cramped from head to toe. It was like an epileptic siezure. I was so frightened I called the emergency doctor. They came by and said I was having a panic attack. I couldnt believe all that was "just" a panic attack. They told me it begins with heavy breathing, so the first thing they did was put a plastic bag over my mouth and told me to try to breath as slooow as possible. I had to breath in the bag for about 15 minutes. I was eventually able to control breathing to slower, and surely then the symptoms in my body gradually disappeared until there were no headaches, tingling in legs and shaking.

P.S. This happened at 7 a.m. and they told me I was the third emergency call that night for panic attack.

Lizzie

[f9...]

I dont have panic disorder, but lately having extreme panic attacks. One night it was so strong that I was shaking and my body cramped from head to toe. It was like an epileptic siezure. I was so frightened I called the emergency doctor. They came by and said I was having a panic attack. I couldnt believe all that was "just" a panic attack. They told me it begins with heavy breathing, so the first thing they did was put a plastic bag over my mouth and told me to try to breath as slooow as possible. I had to breath in the bag for about 15 minutes. I was eventually able to control breathing to slower, and surely then the symptoms in my body gradually disappeared until there were no headaches, tingling in legs and shaking.

P.S. This happened at 7 a.m. and they told me I was the third emergency call that night for panic attack.

Lizzie

Ya, some of the panic attacks I have experienced felt like Epileptic Seizures; and I've had a few seizures. One Panic attack several years back.. It was like a surge of Electricity ran through my body, I almost dropped to the floor. I also felt electric shocks around my heart; it was unnerving. I went to the ER, of course then they gave me Ativan and checked everything, it was ok.

I hope these never come back, my Panic Attacks took on many faces.. and not a one of them I liked.

Be well,

Keryn.

I have to say since I've eliminated coffee I don't have panic type feelings anymore. I was drinking quite a bit of decaf but realized even that has a tiny bit of caffeine. I was originally put on Klonopin for panic attacks so am happy they are not rearing their ugly heads during w/d.

Jean

True Jean, I had some very strong coffe today at a cafe and felt the nervousness coming on. I decided to stop that now and change to decaf. I dont need anything that going to reinforce this.

Elke

I get panic attacks where my teeth start chattering and I can't understand what people are saying and my thoughts start racing uncontrollably.  Don't think I've ever seized.  I went to all kinds of therapy and practiced cbt but basically it comes down to just breathing, telling the anxiety to go fuck itself and refusing to respond to it when it tells me to run out of the room screaming.

Making an appointment tomm. to see a Therapist, found one that does not like medicine, she don't use medicine.

My insurance covers it, what would it hurt?

Maybe learn some CBT and get this anxiety under control !!

Living in "What if's" is not living, I know in w/d they're gonna be there, bet 'cha on that one, but

I don't think it would hurt to talk about underlying issues.

Keryn.

I'm doing the same thing as you Keryn, it can't hurt right? 

as Leslie says though, who is also a therapist on here (L123), being on the benzos and tapering and withdrawing can make CBT useless because our issues are mainly being caused by chemicals. 

But we might as well work on our "what ifs" anyway right? On the other side we'll just be that much more prepared to wait until our symptoms go away FOR GOOD  :thumbsup:

Tell me how yours goes.  I finally printed out the ashton manual and i'm going to try and get my grad student therapist to understand accept that benzo tolerance is a real serious thing.  He's not buying it yet (he's a clinical psych 3rd year grad student..but it's cheap and it's all I can afford at the moment) The positive side to seeing psychology trainees is that they are more open to progressiveness in the profession, and look at things more objectively with an open mind.

I'm doing the same thing as you Keryn, it can't hurt right? 

as Leslie says though, who is also a therapist on here (L123), being on the benzos and tapering and withdrawing can make CBT useless because our issues are mainly being caused by chemicals. 

But we might as well work on our "what ifs" anyway right? On the other side we'll just be that much more prepared to wait until our symptoms go away FOR GOOD  :thumbsup:

Tell me how yours goes.  I finally printed out the ashton manual and i'm going to try and get my grad student therapist to understand accept that benzo tolerance is a real serious thing.  He's not buying it yet (he's a clinical psych 3rd year grad student..but it's cheap and it's all I can afford at the moment) The positive side to seeing psychology trainees is that they are more open to progressiveness in the profession, and look at things more objectively with an open mind.

Kalidas,

Ya, I'm going for some underlying issues, it can't hurt to go to a good therapist.

The Neuro is my prescriber, not the therapist.

CBT, I think it may work ONLY to a point.

Keryn.