Author Topic: Has anyone successfully eliminated panic disorder?  (Read 3036 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Has anyone successfully eliminated panic disorder?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:32 am »
Making an appointment tomm. to see a Therapist, found one that does not like medicine, she don't use medicine.
My insurance covers it, what would it hurt?
Maybe learn some CBT and get this anxiety under control !!

Living in "What if's" is not living, I know in w/d they're gonna be there, bet 'cha on that one, but
I don't think it would hurt to talk about underlying issues.

[...].
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 04:40:51 am »
I'm doing the same thing as you [...], it can't hurt right? 

as Leslie says though, who is also a therapist on here (L123), being on the benzos and tapering and withdrawing can make CBT useless because our issues are mainly being caused by chemicals. 

But we might as well work on our "what ifs" anyway right? On the other side we'll just be that much more prepared to wait until our symptoms go away FOR GOOD  :thumbsup:

Tell me how yours goes.  I finally printed out the ashton manual and i'm going to try and get my grad student therapist to understand accept that benzo tolerance is a real serious thing.  He's not buying it yet (he's a clinical psych 3rd year grad student..but it's cheap and it's all I can afford at the moment) The positive side to seeing psychology trainees is that they are more open to progressiveness in the profession, and look at things more objectively with an open mind.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 05:10:55 am »
I'm doing the same thing as you [...], it can't hurt right? 

as Leslie says though, who is also a therapist on here (L123), being on the benzos and tapering and withdrawing can make CBT useless because our issues are mainly being caused by chemicals. 

But we might as well work on our "what ifs" anyway right? On the other side we'll just be that much more prepared to wait until our symptoms go away FOR GOOD  :thumbsup:

Tell me how yours goes.  I finally printed out the ashton manual and i'm going to try and get my grad student therapist to understand accept that benzo tolerance is a real serious thing.  He's not buying it yet (he's a clinical psych 3rd year grad student..but it's cheap and it's all I can afford at the moment) The positive side to seeing psychology trainees is that they are more open to progressiveness in the profession, and look at things more objectively with an open mind.

[...],

Ya, I'm going for some underlying issues, it can't hurt to go to a good therapist.
The Neuro is my prescriber, not the therapist.
CBT, I think it may work ONLY to a point.

[...].