Watch this, we don’t all heal Aston says right here in the video!!

[...]

Having said that, I've often been warned about the tone of many posts in the 'protracted' section. I've not found that to be the case with some of the other threads by technically 'protracted' folks - ones started by Sofa, for example - despite the fact that these people have also been at it a long time.

Although anyone who has been dealing with this for more than a couple of years deserves to be able to speak about it with a certain "tone", it isn't 100% doom and gloom. One of the reasons why that board exists if because protracted people CANNOT speak freely and openly on the other boards. It is a testament to their courage and kindness that they temper their speech in other places.

I have been at this for 8 1/2 years. I am doing better in general and I have had some amazing windows but I still have days where I feel like death. It sucks really bad to feel amazing for a few weeks just to get hit by another wave that physically rivals an acute wave. You get used to it to an extent but having to deal with that off and on for the better part of a decade and counting wears on you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [mo...]

• [Wi...]

• [no...]

The reactions of people in this very thread illustrate the point some of us are trying to make. Personally I believe that everyone deserves to have access to all of the information that is available about benzos so they can make informed decisions. Segregating protracted folks into a subscription only board is a compromise and it does help to protect some people but it also comes at a price- it alienates protracted folks and it gives everyone else a distorted view of what some unlucky people have to go through, including people who might be gathering information to decide whether or not to start taking benzos. I have to imagine that some people might reconsider taking these drugs if they had more access to information about protracted wd.

I realized this was moved to the Chewing the Fat thread so I'll share my opinions on the word "protracted".

10 things I hate about the word “protracted” on BB by seltzerer (in no particular order):

1. it’s divisive (hearts and minds)

2. it’s counter-productive

3. it does not protect anyone from judgement

4. it scares new members

5. it has no physiological basis

6. it minimizes others’ suffering

7. it does not protect anyone from scary posts

8. it’s a completely made up social construct

9. it’s a label

10. I’m sure Dr. Ashton would not approve

Thanks to all the long term Protracted people... You have been a great source of reality, encouragement, and support for me.. -Right from my first days here...

I have never felt the need to transfer another's situation onto myself, -I have a fair understanding of my reality and that is mine to bear...

:)

Are protracted folks functional at all? Or mostly dealing with some symptoms that are annoying?

Huge variation.  We range from 18 months to ...  quite a few years.  Some are much more unwell than others.  I would imagine most are functional but I don't really have an overview on that.

Thanks to all the long term Protracted people... You have been a great source of reality, encouragement, and support for me.. -Right from my first days here...

I have never felt the need to transfer another's situation onto myself, -I have a fair understanding of my reality and that is mine to bear...

I like your last sentence.  That is how I view things also.  I know what I am dealing with and try to get on with it as best I can.  My approach may not suit others but often the approach of others does not suit me.  We are all different.  My skeleton is badly affected by the shock of withdrawal and I am physically disabled.  I just have to cope with that.  Saying everyone heals is far too simplistic and does not cater for individual complexities.

Are protracted folks functional at all? Or mostly dealing with some symptoms that are annoying?

Most days I am functional enough to at least run my business. I go fishing with a buddy a few times a month but I don't have much energy or motivation left for anything else. I had a HUGE 6 week window recently where my energy and motivation came back so I know it is still there somewhere, I just don't have access to it outside of windows, and the 6 week thing was unusual, they generally only last a day or a few days at a time.

[6b...]

I have never felt the need to transfer another's situation onto myself, -I have a fair understanding of my reality and that is mine to bear

I like your last sentence.  That is how I view things also.  I know what I am dealing with and try to get on with it as best I can.

My approach may not suit others but often the approach of others does not suit me.  We are all different.

My skeleton is badly affected by the shock of withdrawal and I am physically disabled.  I just have to cope with that.  Saying everyone heals is far too simplistic and does not cater for individual complexities.

Agree with both these  wise posts.

We are all different in so many ways, and must listen to our own bodies and heal our own way and not be overly influenced by many posts that we can often read on here. What suits one person often does not suit another.  :'(

Lots of suffering on this thread. Also lots of wisdom...and common ground (when we can take a breather and look past our own fears and anger - and I include myself in this)....

abcd - Thank you for taking the time to clarify the points we agree on - there are more than I thought. It helps me understand where you're coming from. I'll leave Sofaking to define her own experience. (As I understood it, she had a very rough go of it for a number of years, until fairly recently. But I might have that wrong.) I cited her as an example, but there are several others that came to mind.

nomoredrugs - I so enjoy your bubbly enthusiasm. :) Thank you for your kind acknowledgment of me, as always.

Wishing peace and healing to everyone on here.

Have you not seen Lockie Loxton's video on YouTube?

Proof right there that you can 100% heal from this (or close enough to it).

Why would this forum have Success Stories if healing doesn't happen?

I for one CT off the notorious SSRI Paxil. Yes, I have days where I would rather be curled up in bed, but I swear I'm getting a lot better since ditching that 💩.

Dave.

Have you not seen Lockie Loxton's video on YouTube?

Proof right there that you can 100% heal from this (or close enough to it).

Why would this forum have Success Stories if healing doesn't happen?

I for one CT off the notorious SSRI Paxil. Yes, I have days where I would rather be curled up in bed, but I swear I'm getting a lot better since ditching that 💩.

Dave.

No one has suggested that people do not recover (my preferred word), unfortunately some of us have complicating factors which makes this unlikely.  It isn't terribly hard to understand.

No one has suggested that people do not recover (my preferred word), unfortunately some of us have complicating factors which makes this unlikely.  It isn't terribly hard to understand.

What are you suggesting if it’s not that you won’t recover?

I meant people in general .. so add in those words.

So you are suggesting you won’t recover? And people in general do recover?

I am not going to recover my health unfortunately.  That is for me to deal with.

Most people as far as I know do recover either wholly or partially and as far as I know there are also those who do not. 

It would be very helpful if there was more research into benzodiazepine withdrawal so that the picture could be clearer.

I am not going to recover my health unfortunately.  That is for me to deal with.

Most people as far as I know do recover either wholly or partially and as far as I know there are also those who do not. 

It would be very helpful if there was more research into benzodiazepine withdrawal so that the picture could be clearer.

I see.  So IMO I don't think it's helpful to keep this in a protected space.  It would be good to know more about why you believe you won't recover and what your symptoms are etc.  Let people decide for themselves.

I see.  So IMO I don't think it's helpful to keep this in a protected space.  It would be good to know more about why you believe you won't recover and what your symptoms are etc.  Let people decide for themselves.

I was severely affected by withdrawal and spent 4-5 years mostly in bed, it is my skeleton that is affected, every part of it, the shock of withdrawal was too much, it seemed to send my body into a state of shock and I largely lost the use of my legs and to a lesser extent my arms.  I now require a wheelchair and walking frame. There isn't really any need to go into more detail, my mobility remains very poor which in turn means I am now largely housebound and unable to engage in life very much.  You will understand that at age 65 as I am now it is not so easy to get back on one's feet after such a long time largely bedridden.  My overall health is considerably poorer now than it was before I came off the drugs.  I also have significant cognitive impairment, I can no longer read more than short pieces of text, I cannot process the meaning very well and I also have difficulty processing speech.  These have improved however.  There isn't a single part of my body that remains unaffected apart from my stomach.  I was originally diagnosed with epilepsy which was the reason for prescribing the benzo although there seems to be some doubt now about that diagnosis, it was a long time ago.  Long term consumption of these drugs have also damaged my health so that has to be factored in also.  There is also the long term consumption of antidepressants which will no doubt also have harmed me.

Fiona, would you mind if I sent you a PM sometime? I'm exhausted at the moment, but would like to message you in the near future, if that's OK....

Fiona, would you mind if I sent you a PM sometime? I'm exhausted at the moment, but would like to message you in the near future, if that's OK....

Yes, you can message me any time.

Anyone is free to join the protracted board.

Also; protracted members don’t have to do anything anyone else doesn’t. We have authority as members to post anywhere we feel like. It’s our forum too... this is in the rules.

You can read and learn about our lives and be inclusive if you choose.

But we are already included, we’ve been here years.

Lots of suffering on this thread. Also lots of wisdom...and common ground (when we can take a breather and look past our own fears and anger - and I include myself in this)....

abcd - Thank you for taking the time to clarify the points we agree on - there are more than I thought. It helps me understand where you're coming from. I'll leave Sofaking to define her own experience. (As I understood it, she had a very rough go of it for a number of years, until fairly recently. But I might have that wrong.) I cited her as an example, but there are several others that came to mind.

nomoredrugs - I so enjoy your bubbly enthusiasm. :) Thank you for your kind acknowledgment of me, as always.

Wishing peace and healing to everyone on here.

peace and luv to you as well my friend.

lookingforward - Thank you, Fiona. I'll be in touch.

nomore:smitten:

it's really cool to see new friendships form on these threads, especially between people who disagreed in the beginning, but who came to see the similarities instead of differences in the end. gives me the warm fuzzies.