Speeding up my taper

[Li...]

Looking for support and encouragement! Having tapered from 60 mg oxazepam (equals 30 mg valium) to 13 mg in two rounds, I am now speeding up my taper to 1 mg per day. I realize this is fast, especially towards the end - but I am feeling neither worse than better than I have felt for the past year. Since oxazepam has a very short half-life I am taking 4 doses per day, which means that I can't think of anything else day in and day out. I am expecting my doctor to make changes in my AD's soon so I want my benzo to be out of the picture as fast as I possibly can. My wd sxs are purely phsycolocical, mainly morning anxiety and depression. If all goes well, I will take my last dose of benzo on September 3rd. Please respect my decision and wish me luck!

Fast-acting benzodiazepines lend themselves more to an accelerated taper than the long-acting ones, and updosing (correcting) a too-steep cut was pretty easy for me with Xanax.

Best of luck!  :smitten:

Thank you for your support Challis! Reading your success story, I see you also speeded up towards the end of your taper  ;) Did your wd last for long?

Hit a rough spot. Holding 12,5 mg. Doctor considering adding Lamictal for my depression and anxiety.

Hi, Lily .... yes, that was quite the large drop recently. Please give your body a chance to catch up.

Thank you for your support! I truly appreciate it. I will be holding until next Tuesday, when I meet my psychiatrist. Plan to resume after the appointment at a previous pace of 0,4 mg reduction per day. I am determined to beat this.

Good luck to you fellow sufferers. CAgirl, I hope you won't have to hold for too long now and that your surgery goes well.

Thank you for your support! I truly appreciate it. I will be holding until next Tuesday, when I meet my psychiatrist. Plan to resume after the appointment at a previous pace of 0,4 mg reduction per day. I am determined to beat this.

Good luck to you fellow sufferers. CAgirl, I hope you won't have to hold for too long now and that your surgery goes well.

Thank you so much.  I hope to resume tapering on September 5.  Feeling several uncomfortable symptoms and with the surgery scheduled for September 3 and being a little stressed about that, I thought it best to hold.

I also switched to Liquid Valium not knowing what I was doing and tapered to fast and have been feeling awful! Is it best to updose and start over?

I also switched to Liquid Valium not knowing what I was doing and tapered to fast and have been feeling awful! Is it best to updose and start over?

I did not switch to Valium. I am tapering liquid oxazepam. Already continuing after a 2 day hold. 11,6 mg today.

You should ask someone with experience (Builder?) for advice.

Good luck to you.

• 4 weeks later...
Making progress. Down to 6,4 mg oxazepam (3,2 mg V). Approximately two weeks to go until benzo free - if all goes well. I can't wait. It will be a huge relief to take meds only once a day. Now taking my benzo every six hours! My sleep is good, no physical side effects but I am suffering from severe morning anxiety/depression. Usually better in the afternoons and evenings.

Hi Lily!

I am also tapering Oxazepam and wondering how your fast taper is going? I only take mine once daily (just dropped to 8.5mg) and 1.25mg of Valium because I was having bad interdose wd and the Valium seems to be smoothing it out for me. My goal is to drop 1.5-2mg every 4ish day depending on symptoms. Would love to stay updated on your progress and that’s exciting you seem to be tolerating well!

Hi Lily!

I am also tapering Oxazepam and wondering how your fast taper is going? I only take mine once daily (just dropped to 8.5mg) and 1.25mg of Valium because I was having bad interdose wd and the Valium seems to be smoothing it out for me. My goal is to drop 1.5-2mg every 4ish day depending on symptoms. Would love to stay updated on your progress and that’s exciting you seem to be tolerating well!

Hi!

I am doing a daily liquid taper, dropping 0,4 mg each day in four equal doses (helps with interdose wd since oxazepam is short acting). It is going OK. Still anxious and depressed in the mornings but fine in the afternoons and evenings. It will be interesting to see how I will feel once I am off the benzo. My ADs are being adjusted so hopefully they will kick in. It appears that you are a short-term user of benzos so you should be able to withdraw at the rate you mentioned. Good luck to you!

Congrats Lily!!    >:D

Thanks! I feel even better today. Woke upp relaxed and happy. Trying not to get too optimistic. Down to 4,4 mg. Ten days to go until benzo free!

Ugh so sorry Lilly- me too. Had a great past few days and then bam.no sleep last night and crying all morning. I do track the solar cycles and looks like we’re having geomagnetic storms today  - that usually stirs me up. Hope you feel better soon.

Ugh so sorry Lilly- me too. Had a great past few days and then bam.no sleep last night and crying all morning. I do track the solar cycles and looks like we’re having geomagnetic storms today  - that usually stirs me up. Hope you feel better soon.

I felt completely hopeless all day. It has been 15 months of waves and windows. Can't wait to go to sleep, tomorrow can't be worse. Hope you will feel better soon.