Extreme health anxiety - reaching out

[Wi...]

Hello buddies,

I would really appreciate input from anyone who could possibly relate.

I'm at 15 months off Ativan, and experiencing disabling bouts of extreme health anxiety - to the point of terror about things such as environmental toxins, EMFs, pollutants, and not healing. At times, this can cause day-long panic attacks, akathisia, and complete despair.

It's like I can never feel safe in my body, anywhere. I can't switch off about it at all and can't calm down. When I get like this, it feels as though there's no hope, no place to escape to.... I never had this before.

Please chime in if you're experiencing anything like this. Thank you.

Wildflower

This can still occur for me Sunflower. 

It is improving, but when it decides to pay me a call really difficult to dissuade myself with logic.  I'm getting better at it. 

Pricked myself with a cactus spine, only a scratch, but feared I would get tetanus or something.  Breathed around some potting mix and thought I would get a variant of Legionnaires Disease.  Ate some well refrigerated chicken soup, thought I would get food poisoning.  And the list goes on ad infinitum, with anything in the environment that has even the most remote possibility of harm.

I don't really know, but have thought (maybe) this is the primitive part of my brain operating on high alert, fearful, self preserving, triggered by benzo withdrawal.  I don't really know.

Was never like this before benzo withdrawal. 

I believe it will eventually abate Wildflower.  Just like all other symptoms of withdrawal. 

Dee

:smitten:

I don't really know, but have thought (maybe) this is the primitive part of my brain operating on high alert, fearful, self preserving, triggered by benzo withdrawal.  I don't really know.

Dee, thanks so much for your reply. I tend to think the same as you (above) - or at least, I hope this is true. I'm just in that place where I can't be comforted.... Just trying to desperately to feel safer and less alone.... Thanks again, Dee.

I’m feeling a lot the same, Wildflower33. I don’t like how toxic bzds are... I never had this until more recently—the health anxiety. Not fun. Sorry it’s so bad, at this point I do get it now.

Thanks, MP. I'm really sorry you have this, too. This is the tip of the iceberg for me right now.... I really am hanging on by a thread. So scared. Can't stop shaking.