Does tapering slow work?

[St...]

I get the rationale behind tapering slowly in that it gives the brain a chance to ‘catch up’ and is meant to minimise withdrawal during and after the taper.

However, it seems on here that even those that taper super slowly over years have horrendous symptoms during their taper and then awful withdrawals after jumping, which seem no different to a cold turkey, the only difference being they spend a whole heap of extra time on the drug.

Obviously there needs to be a taper because of the risk of seizures, but seeing people spend years tapering when it hasn’t provided them any symptom relief makes me wonder if it isn’t just dragging things out making things worse prolonging the time spent on the drugs.

If the drugs are no longer giving you any symptom relief and you are in withdrawals during your taper, would it not make sense to get fairly quickly? Because staying on them for months or years is not going to make things better.

Just some things I’ve been thinking about.

We are all different and have different circumstances in our lives. I know for myself my taper this time will have to be low and slow. I do believe the brain needs to be able to recover as we are tapering. It will heal as we taper if we allow it to. I know mine will have to. Already been through a C/T and will never go there again. I have seen many people here do well with a symptom based taper. I see the main problem is people getting in a rush and get ahead of themselves especially as they get lower. Also, there are some who are in tolerance withdrawal already and it is a rough ride all of the way down. Again, it depends on the individual. It is good that you are thinking about these things and it will give you a better idea of how you are going to do your taper.

Another notion would be that those who spend very long periods tapering and have lots of symptoms are simply very difficult cases. They very likely would have been worse on a short taper. I do however understand the question and it certainly may be the case that at least some of these people may have been better off, in some senses at least, if they had tapered more quickly. The idea that the body has wisdom and listening to it as a gauge to guide your withdrawal remains the most logical approach to this nightmare imo, but there is no way to prove any of this

Another notion would be that those who spend very long periods tapering and have lots of symptoms are simply very difficult cases. They very likely would have been worse on a short taper. I do however understand the question and it certainly may be the case that at least some of these people may have been better off, in some senses at least, if they had tapered more quickly. The idea that the body has wisdom and listening to it as a gauge to guide your withdrawal remains the most logical approach to this nightmare imo, but there is no way to prove any of this

Great post and very true. Thanks for your input. :)

Thanks for your replies guys.

I was doing well early on in my taper. I have now been on 4mg Valium for the last week (down from 15mg). The last few weeks the anxiety has been getting really bad. Should I keep tapering whilst I have these symptoms? Does this mean that because I have now got symptomatic that I will have a severe and protracted withdrawal?

Is difficulty tapering an indicator of how well you will do once off? Like only people that don’t struggle with their taper recover well?

Thanks for your replies guys.

I was doing well early on in my taper. I have now been on 4mg Valium for the last week (down from 15mg). The last few weeks the anxiety has been getting really bad. Should I keep tapering whilst I have these symptoms? Does this mean that because I have now got symptomatic that I will have a severe and protracted withdrawal?

Is difficulty tapering an indicator of how well you will do once off? Like only people that don’t struggle with their taper recover well?

To the first question I think probably it indicates healing is likely to take longer. To the second question, no. The vast majority of forum members struggle with their tapers ( which was why they searched  for online help) yet recover just fine.

As to the topic question, yes, a slow taper helps but healing is generally slower than even the longest tapers which is why there are lingering symptoms for awhile.

Acceptance of the length of healing was critical for me.  Once I gave in to the idea of a long healing process I felt better about the lingering symptoms.

I have been tapering at 5% every two weeks and I have not yet had any symptoms at all 

I started my taper at 0.125 mg of Clonopin and I am currently at 0.054.

Hi Start,

It's difficult to get a good reading on this question.  Most of the people who do a slow taper and do well  don't post much because they feel well. Mostly just people suffering do the posting so you don't get a good sample. Of course also true of fast tapers or Cold turkey.  So it's hard to tell just by looking at posts; definitely skewed toward the worst cases.

I think for many of us, there is no magic bullet easy way off these things.  I do believe a majority of people heal as they taper and recover sooner than they would have had they not tapered (assuming they don't have other medical issues, and have the patience to not mess with their dose or add other drugs.)

The Ashton manual states:  "...It is sometimes claimed that very slow withdrawal from benzodiazepines "merely prolongs the agony" and it is better to get it over with as quickly as possible. However, the experience of most patients is that slow withdrawal is greatly preferable, especially when the subject dictates the pace. Indeed, many patients find that there is little or no "agony" involved. Nevertheless there is no magic rate of withdrawal and each person must find the pace that suits him best. People who have been on low doses of benzodiazepine for a relatively short time (less than a year) can usually withdraw fairly rapidly. Those who have been on high doses of potent benzodiazepines such as Xanax and Klonopin are likely to need more time..."

I can say I am doing a slow symptoms based taper and I'm feeling better as I go and am fully functional and working etc;  I think for many it works this way.

Good luck!!

Thanks all for your replies.

Challis, I feel sort of disheartened that you think I will probably have a protracted withdrawal because I am struggling with my taper. It makes me not want to carry on.

As people are saying they feel better with a symptoms based taper, what’s my way forward if I already have symptoms? I only really started having them as I got lower. But I don’t want to up dose as I feel that would be taking a step backwards and that I will never get off them.

I keep waiting for an inflection point. It may or may not come, but I think it is important to remember that some folks do feel better at some point when they get lower. Also, everyone is different. It is impossible to predict what happens in recovery. All we can do is try to be smart about it and not compound the problem with added anxiety (easier said than done, I know).

Thanks Benzo3. How have you been doing with your taper??

My new pdoc required an anti-depressant. Anxiety and agoraphobia were increasing as I stood at 5.2 and after I cut to 4.5 and 4.0. I won't cut again until I talk to my pdoc next month. I'm hopeful he will approve a DLMT. I'm okay, but working during this is pretty rough. I have a lot of mental and physical symptoms.

I’m so sorry Benzo3, I really do hope things get easier for you and the antidepressants start to work for you.

I totally feel you on the working front. I’m working but find it so hard. I’m a nurse and interacting with people is so draining for me now. It’s hard to care for other people when you are feeling so awful in yourself. And I feel crap for that as I so want to be back to the enthusiastic nurse who tried to help people.

Sending hugs.

I’m so sorry Benzo3, I really do hope things get easier for you and the antidepressants start to work for you.

I totally feel you on the working front. I’m working but find it so hard. I’m a nurse and interacting with people is so draining for me now. It’s hard to care for other people when you are feeling so awful in yourself. And I feel crap for that as I so want to be back to the enthusiastic nurse who tried to help people.

Sending hugs.

Man, a lot of nurses and former nurses in this community. Yes, as my anxiety and agoraphobia has increased, I have had to adapt my work to correspond more via email and phone. I'm sorry that you don't have that option. I only have it because I have understanding bosses and a long history of good work. People "know" what is going on, but they don't really "know", if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the well-wishes. They are reciprocated.