Has anyone successfully worked on themselves during withdrawal?

[Th...]

I know I’m reaching here but has anyone done something to work on original anxiety while tapering so that withdrawal becomes more bearable? Not coping strategies but real work to undermine root problems? I’m looking for a miracle right now aren’t I? There must be more to this syndrome than down-regulation of gaba receptors. I think a lot has to do with psychic disregulation. Why else would we experience windows. What, all of a sudden the gaba receptors grow back instantaneously then down regulate a day later. Some people come off no problem. Do they have stronger receptors? My theory correlates to the side effect profile of a good taper vs. CT. CT is too much of. Trauma for the nervous system to handle. Everything goes out of whack. Creates a massive storm that takes a long time to subside.

Yes, I am doing work to resolve trauma. I’m working through a guided series by Peter Levine, an expert on somatic experience and trauma therapy. He views trauma resolution as biological, not psychological. I do think this experience itself has been traumatizing for my body, and I’ve also survived various other traumatic experiences prior to benzo prescription.

I’ve lost a lot of weight and exercise a lot and that definitely helps with the underlying anxiety.  I’m meditating daily now to train my mind.  No quick fixes.  I will be getting a dog.  Taking a break from therapy and self-help psychology books.

Edit: most of this work for me has been post w/d but could be done while tapering too, of course.

I know I’m reaching here but has anyone done something to work on original anxiety while tapering so that withdrawal becomes more bearable? Not coping strategies but real work to undermine root problems? I’m looking for a miracle right now aren’t I? There must be more to this syndrome than down-regulation of gaba receptors. I think a lot has to do with psychic disregulation. Why else would we experience windows. What, all of a sudden the gaba receptors grow back instantaneously then down regulate a day later. Some people come off no problem. Do they have stronger receptors? My theory correlates to the side effect profile of a good taper vs. CT. CT is too much of. Trauma for the nervous system to handle. Everything goes out of whack. Creates a massive storm that takes a long time to subside.

well i have.  :) i started many years ago, before the tapering, while they were still polydrugging me.  i went to a therapist who worked with me on my issues that casued my anxiety and depression to begin with. she helped me recover details of my past that i didn't want to think about. eventually, i was able to face the truth of what happenned in my childhood and adulthood and learned some skills to begin the long road to healing my self. fast forward a decade later to now, and i have been slowly getting better at using the tools i learned, and adding some new ones too. now i can see clearly what my part was and is, and what parts belong to others, including my family members, my lovers and husbands, my friends , my clergy, my bosses and coworkers, and my abusers. i couldn't see that clearly until i had help from a professional.

now since therapy is too expensive for me, i use audiobooks as my therapy. it is hit or miss, but i'm getting better at picking the books and topics i need to learn from. i use art and exercise when i'm able, to deal with frantic or frustrated energy and akathisia. changing my diet has been a tremedous help in stabilizing moods, and there was a big learning curve for me on that one. it took me a couple of years to find the right diet/foods and nutrients to help my particular body and brain the most. lots of trial and error.

the question you're asking right now hits at the very essence of healing. you're asking the right question! now it's up to you to begin the journey. you will find the answer that works for you after trying many things. soem will be not dso great. but some, some of them will fit you perfectly. you want to know how to deal with and hopefully cure the original anxiety. there's several answerws. i can list some of them, but in the end what works for me will not neccessarily be your answer. it might, but everyone is unique.

going to the root of the anxiety, the root of the fear, which is what anxiety is...fear. hypervigilance. other names for it but you get the gist. that's the right way. keep going! 

some people find a friend or clergy or counselor they feel free to talk about vulnerable stuiff with. find your person. if you have noone, pay for one. it helped me. it really saved my ass! 

science has proven the effects on the brain of trauma. we know how emotions actually change the map of the brain. i would suggest doing research online or watch videos/documentaries etc on how trauma affects the brain. it will be easier to understand. trauma can be a physical injury or an emotional one, a shock a sadness grief something scary, etc. it all affects the brain. check it out. that's the right direction. good luck.

I feel that I’m so unstable that I have to keep my emotions in check or else I become worse. Only once when I cried recently I felt better afterwards. Usually I feel much worse. Another problem I have is that I can’t really pinpoint my original trauma. The reason I got into this mess recently was due to years of overwork on an already exhausted nervous system.

Hey Candice is it helping you?? I was looking into this type of therapy last night on YouTube. Is it effective during withdrawal or does it further destabilize you?

This is a good question; however, the anxiety state existed for both those with anxiety and those with no history of anxiety (the medical group) at about the same percentage when tapering (just over 50% of those questioned). Therefore, one might deduce that anxiety can't be helped to some degree. I'm sure it can be exacerbated; however, and self-help is always a good thing during tapering, healing and for life afterwards.

Hey Candice is it helping you?? I was looking into this type of therapy last night on YouTube. Is it effective during withdrawal or does it further destabilize you?

It’s definitely helping me. It really depends on how you feel, and what you are ready for. Each of us has a unique path. I wasn’t ready a year ago. I see this as a much more gentle approach than other therapies for trauma such as EMDR, and most importantly, a therapy that makes sense to my body and feels right, at this time. I hope that helps!

This is a good question; however, the anxiety state existed for both those with anxiety and those with no history of anxiety (the medical group) at about the same percentage when tapering (just over 50% of those questioned). Therefore, one might deduce that anxiety can't be helped to some degree. I'm sure it can be exacerbated; however, and self-help is always a good thing during tapering, healing and for life afterwards.

where did you get this from?

I see a therapist. She is ok. I do need the extra support . It is hard to work on things now for me because i have a lot of sx. So we mostly talk about systems and anxiety. She doesnt quite understand wx but she tries. I dont think for me at this point digging to deep would help me i am way too anxious. So we work thru sx and some coping skills. I know this wx has caused trauma. Not sure how i am going to deal with that. I guess therspy coping skills and friends on bb are were i am right now. When im ready to take on more i will. When a fear or feeling pops up i yalk about it. So maybe yhat is healing in a slow kind of way. Peeling away the layers as thwy pop up. Thats all.i got. Youbdonwhat feels most comfortable for you.

Greek, yes I am (and was ) able to work on anxiety. Both pre-taper, during taper and now post taper. My therapist has been a godsend. I have gained a lot of insight into my anxiety . . . and my depression also.

Benzo3, "exacerbated" means making a bad situation worse. Is that what you really mean? And who's exacerbating it? Also, is this a study you're referring to? Can you give us the link?

Katz

Following. I quit therapy when my taper got real difficult. Withdrawal made everything else secondary. Right now I would only consider Baylissa if I could afford therapy in a few months, when I have more work and more income or so I hope.

Hi, here is the link.

https://adaa.org/sites/default/files/Pittman121.pdf

Greek, yes I am (and was ) able to work on anxiety. Both pre-taper, during taper and now post taper. My therapist has been a godsend. I have gained a lot of insight into my anxiety . . . and my depression also.

Benzo3, "exacerbated" means making a bad situation worse. Is that what you really mean? And who's exacerbating it? Also, is this a study you're referring to? Can you give us the link?

Katz

Hi, Katz. I meant that benzo withdrawal will often produce anxiety in people as is, regardless of whether they have a history of anxiety or not. That said, we make the situation worse when we don't control or work on the anxiety that we can, to the extent that we can. I know, I have both going on.

I provided the link above.

Hi, here is the link.

https://adaa.org/sites/default/files/Pittman121.pdf

they should have at least spelled the names of the benzos correctly.

so did i read this right...according to "Demographics of American Participants" in this pdf, this is a survey by 493 (white) members of BenzoBuddies in 2013? of whom 2/3 were female...

Total Sub-sample = 493 *Note that this is a nonrandom sample, and should not be taken to represent all benzodiazepine users or all those who wish to discontinue benzodiazepines.

Of those who gave complete demographic information:

13% 18-29 years

18% 30-39 years

65% Female 19% 40-49 years

35% Male 32% 50-59 years

15% 60-69 years

3% Over 70 years

They were prescribed benzodiazepines as early as age 11 and as late as age 86. Benzodiazepine use started as early as 1979 or before, and as late as 2012.

Those who reported ethnicity identified as Caucasian/White.

so if i got that part right, this is an article on the BB forum's surveyed participants on their experiences with benzos and z-drugs?

so not a survey of other non-BB anxiety sufferers, but rather a focal group of specifically BB-members with the specifications/demographics listed above. 

That’s correct. Is there a bias for benzo users? Sure. Are the results for anxiety still impressive? I think so.

I doubt you’re going to see a large unbiased study anywhere in this country, not until this government recognizes the problem. I, for one, am glad someone took the time to compile this data.

I felt therapy was helpful for a little while, but then, I knew certain problems were very specific to my taper, and the therapist started diagnosing me.  That made me very pissed off and I felt like she wasn't listening to me.  She was treating me at that moment, as if I was always like that, or at least like that for years because of something that happened to me and not because of the benzos.  I may go back to her in the future to work on some things, but honestly, therapy was so pointless during the thick of my taper. 

HOWEVER,  I did join a group with a life coach, who taught a lot of techniques to calm myself down and how to meditate and just listen to my thoughts.  He also taught a few techniques for being present and how to stop focusing on negative stuff in the past or the future.  THIS STUFF was SO HELPFUL.  Way more helpful than talking about childhood disappointments or current things I hated.  I have notebooks full of pages upon pages of all the things I hate, as per advice from my therapist.  That was not helpful.  Putting that stuff out of my mind and looking for things that were good, that is what helped. 

I felt therapy was helpful for a little while, but then, I knew certain problems were very specific to my taper, and the therapist started diagnosing me.  That made me very pissed off and I felt like she wasn't listening to me.  She was treating me at that moment, as if I was always like that, or at least like that for years because of something that happened to me and not because of the benzos.  I may go back to her in the future to work on some things, but honestly, therapy was so pointless during the thick of my taper. 

HOWEVER,  I did join a group with a life coach, who taught a lot of techniques to calm myself down and how to meditate and just listen to my thoughts.  He also taught a few techniques for being present and how to stop focusing on negative stuff in the past or the future.  THIS STUFF was SO HELPFUL.  Way more helpful than talking about childhood disappointments or current things I hated.  I have notebooks full of pages upon pages of all the things I hate, as per advice from my therapist.  That was not helpful.  Putting that stuff out of my mind and looking for things that were good, that is what helped.

Greencup this is very accurate. I have my share of childhood trauma but it's impossible to work on that now. I'm not going to a course but I agree that all we can do is try to stop every single negative thought on it's tracks and replace it with a positive thought. That's what I do all day every day since I crashed. If I weren't doing it I probably wouldn't even be here any more. The youtuber benzo warrior said it and I took notice : catch the thought and stop it immediately.

Hey Val! I’m not doing too good. I made and continue to make mistakes. I’m in tolerance withdrawal now and getting worse by the day. My original psychiatrist that put me on this med and pumped me up to 2 mg called me an addict and that he wouldn’t prescribe me anymore K. He said to cut it in 4 days and then go see him for a new med. I’ve basically done 2 CT in less than a year. I’m such a newbie when it comes to medicine. My new pdoc prescribed Remeron (actually I suggested over Zoloft) to help with my taper. Now I’m taking another pill to help with previous pill. I fantasize about never taking that cipralex after my brakedown last fall. I would have suffered with some DR and depression but looking back at least my brain was mine. I knew the methods to correct problem over time but I became desperate. Now I feel this drug has changed me.

Hey Val! I’m not doing too good. I made and continue to make mistakes. I’m in tolerance withdrawal now and getting worse by the day. My original psychiatrist that put me on this med and pumped me up to 2 mg called me an addict and that he wouldn’t prescribe me anymore K. He said to cut it in 4 days and then go see him for a new med. I’ve basically done 2 CT in less than a year. I’m such a newbie when it comes to medicine. My new pdoc prescribed Remeron (actually I suggested over Zoloft) to help with my taper. Now I’m taking another pill to help with previous pill. I fantasize about never taking that cipralex after my brakedown last fall. I would have suffered with some DR and depression but looking back at least my brain was mine. I knew the methods to correct problem over time but I became desperate. Now I feel this drug has changed me.

Don't punish yourself for trusting doctors like we were always taught to. The doctor who called you an addict for developing a physical dependence to what he prescribed is very cruel and will hopefully pay for his cruelty if there's any karmic justice. Hang in there Greek. Things can get better when we least expect it. It's 3am here and I can't sleep so I'm going to try again. Stop blaming yourself for everything. This is already hard enough. Please be kind to yourself and talk to yourself like you'd talk to a dear friend who was going through this. Gnight.

Don't punish yourself for trusting doctors like we were always taught to. The doctor who called you an addict for developing a physical dependence to what he prescribed is very cruel and will hopefully pay for his cruelty if there's any karmic justice. Hang in there Greek. Things can get better when we least expect it. It's 3am here and I can't sleep so I'm going to try again. Stop blaming yourself for everything. This is already hard enough. Please be kind to yourself and talk to yourself like you'd talk to a dear friend who was going through this. Gnight.

well said.

I’m looking for a miracle right now aren’t I?

Hi Greek,

Nothing wrong with looking for miracles!  :) Some of the things you mention in your original post made me think about the vagus nerve, and its major responsibility of initiating a parasympathetic (calming) response in the body.  I did a quick search on the forum, and discovered there are no hits on either vagus or sympathetic.  I'd suggest you do an online search, and learn about both.

As far as you looking for a miracle, I'll just mention that I shared a spiritual technique (link below in my signature) that I use with another forum member on TinnitusTalk who's going through intense benzodiazapine withdrawal.  She said that it's actually working quite well for her, especially in helping her sleep.  I don't know if this sort of approach would be your cup of tea, but I thought I'd at least let you know that a very simple technique can indeed sometimes be a way for miracles to appear in some people's lives. 

All the Best...

I’m looking for a miracle right now aren’t I?

Hi Greek,

Nothing wrong with looking for miracles!  :) Some of the things you mention in your original post made me think about the vagus nerve, and its major responsibility of initiating a parasympathetic (calming) response in the body.  I did a quick search on the forum, and discovered there are no hits on either vagus or sympathetic.  I'd suggest you do an online search, and learn about both.

As far as you looking for a miracle, I'll just mention that I shared a spiritual technique (link below in my signature) that I use with another forum member on TinnitusTalk who's going through intense benzodiazapine withdrawal.  She said that it's actually working quite well for her, especially in helping her sleep.  I don't know if this sort of approach would be your cup of tea, but I thought I'd at least let you know that a very simple technique can indeed sometimes be a way for miracles to appear in some people's lives. 

All the Best...

Lane, I loved the Hu video. I'm going to try it.