Xanax Taper

[No...]

Hello Everyone

I am on 1.5 mgs of Xanax. Going thru a very stressful divorce. I want to get off the Xanax. What would you recommend as a taper?  I have been on this now for over a year.  Also any supplements I can take to help me during this process?  Please advise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m new here, as my doc of 18 years has decided to taper me off Xanax, and has removed me from Ambien CT.

I’m seeing many posts about substitution from Xanax to a longer half-life benzo.  My doc flat out refused.  He is taking me from 1 mg. X 3 per day....immediately down to 1 mg. X 2 per day, 12 hours apart.  I’m having severe insomnia, due to the removal of Ambien 10 mg.  Is there a thread where I can read about Xanax tapers?  There is no possibility of my doctor agreeing to a substitution.  And he wants me to be completely tapered off Xanax in 3 months. 

Thanks for any assistance in finding pertinent information. 

Frankly, I would be very tempted to find a new doctor who knew more about discontinuing the medications he has prescribed and refilled for you. 

It is really upsetting to read that a doctor has just cut 10mg of Ambien after long term use and is not allowing you to recover before dropping a huge percentage of Xanax on top.

Can you find a physician who is a pharmaceutical expert in your area?