Responsible Usage Question

[da...]

Hello all, I have been dealing with depression due to my server Tinnitus. I was suicidal for months and now I am only this bad a couple times a week. I have been taking .5mg of Xanax once or twice a month and never had issues stopping. I am really struggling just getting through my days sometimes and Xanax helps in those really down times. In general I understand benzos are bad but I was curious if this was a safe amount to take? My psychiatrist says that taking it this little will be fine but I like your opinions also.

Thanks all for your feedback!

Hi, -Welcome..

I think one of the big questions will be if YOU can take it at these doses and/or intervals and not have your body make the longer term adjustments to its presence that we call physical dependancy...

The trouble is that for some it probably will, and others probably not...

I guess I would look at risk vs benefit, and if other non medication paths can be implemented.. These could range from diet through to CBT...

Sorry its not a direct answer, but we have members that have significant problems from a few doses, say for surgery, through to people that have significant use histories, -yet have minimal discontinuation issues... How long and how much??, are probably the most varied concepts here..!!

May I ask if there are other significant meds or med history..?? -These can play a role in ones sensitivity levels too..

Im glad you are aware of potential issues, and hope this site can help you find a path that suits you and your needs into the future...

My best wishes...

:)

No probs... :)

I have to apologise, -Fore some reason I thought this was the introduction board... So I didnt look for, or at your posting history.. Thus I may have been a bit “general”...

Sorry..

Others are probs more help on depression topics anyways...

Wishing you the best..

:)

dayma, I think this is the "slippery slope" issue. I too, took Xanax now and then (a couple times a week) for things that made me anxious and uncomfortable. Then I hit a bad patch in my life  . . . and before I knew it, I was taking it daily. Then . . . well, here I am. Three benzos and a hellish taper later.

And I really question your psychiatrist telling you that taking a Xanax a couple times a week or whenever is okay. Especially since you've been suicidal??!! And now you're depressed?

Are any of us so strong-minded that we can NOT take a "hit" of something that makes us feel less miserable? (Unless we have been to hell and back on our benzo tapers, that is)? I think we would tell ourselves: "Yeah, I know the risks, but addiction won't happen to me."

I should have learned how to deal with the things that made me want to take Xanax another way. I wish I had.

I'm sorry you have tinnitus. So do I -- a leftover gift from my taper. Mine will probably never go away. I've accepted that.

What about exploring an alternative to Xanax for your depression? And I don't mean another drug. Therapists (nor psychiatrists) are pretty darned good at helping people with depression.

Just a thought.

Sorry for your T. It's miserable, I know.

:smitten:

Katz

It is thought that Benzos can actually increase depression. That was certainly the case for me. I think Katz is right about there being much better treatment options. I know how serious depression is. I am not telling you to not seek treatment, but just to ask questions. Esperanza