Back To Tapering ~ Clonazepam And Alprazolam

[Se...]

Today I’m back to the business of tapering again after a week hold.  Thinking long and hard on this, I’m going to taper both alprazolam and clonazepam at the same time.  I’m going to go slowly on both because I can’t find sense in prolonging one taper over the other.

My former psychiatrist (though for the most part was full of shit), explained both benzos affect the brain the same way and follow the same neuro pathways.  I’m looking at it as reducing two benzos but one taper.  I’ve been on alprazolam for more than 10 years and clonazepam for 9 months.  I’m going to initially taper clonazepam at a faster rate due to the longer half life and the higher dose. I previously cut 1/4 of a 0.5mg tab back in January lowering from 1mg/day to approximately .87mg/day.  Started DLMT at .86mg a week ago but held.  Today’s dose is .84mg.  Alprazolam DLMT will be slower and I may taper every other day depending on symptoms...but I’m moving forward. My starting alprazolam dose was 4mg/day.  My current dose is .50mg. 

The nausea has subsided to tolerable.  I’ve increased mirtazapine dose and pretty sure that’s helping with nausea.  I was taking less than the prescribed dose and still not at fully prescribed dose.  I’m hoping it will also improve morning anxiety.  It may.  It may not.  I know staying on benzos will NOT improve anything!

I tapered off Celexa almost five weeks ago.  That caused a lot of trouble since reinstatement back in November.  I never should have gone back on it.  It pooped out on me long ago.  I was on a higher dose more than a year ago and suffered through discontinuation syndrome when there was an improper crossover to another antidepressant, Zoloft.  If benzo withdrawal isn’t enough?  Don’t get involved with changing antidepressants!  I was discontinued off both by the end of August last year.  Horrible and I believe that’s damaged my brain.  I’m hoping I eventually recover from that fiasco.

So, wish me well.  Cheer me on.  Call me out if you think I’m making a huge mistake.  I welcome all comments...good, bad or ugly.

In the end, I’m just another victim of poor medical care from a doctor that was to “do no harm”.

Hi SeptGirl!

Just thought I would throw my two cents in since no one else has replied yet. I was on lorazepam and alprazolam both at the same time, because of a doctor that had no idea what they were doing of course. I was taken off lorazepam first and alprazolam immediately after, but it was completely unbearable so I was switched to clonazepam to taper slower. In my opinion, you might want to withdraw from one med at a time, maybe starting with alprazolam since it has a shorter half life. Hopefully other people will chime in too, but for me it would be much too miserable to decrease both benzos at once. If you’re not having much trouble, that’s great but don’t be afraid to take things slower if you have to.

I found that Mirtazapine helped me too as well as propranolol to control my racing heart and palpitations.

I hate that we’ve all had to suffer through so much just because we trusted our doctors.

Take care and I wish you lots of luck with whatever you choose to do for your taper!

Thanks Champ!  I’m glad someone read my post and took the time to respond

Your being on two short acting benzos, alprazolam and lorazepam would be a problem.  I was on that cocktail myself for awhile but stoped lorazepam.  I’m hoping clonazepam will make dual tapering to go a little smoother now that I’ve increased mirtazapine which seems to help with both nausea and anxiety. 

Not moving forward tapering both doesn’t seem to make sense.  I was supposed to crossover from alprazolam to clonazepam but that was messed up dosing too.  I’m at more manageable doses now so I’m going to try.  I’ve been tapering off alprazolam for almost a year.  It’s time to go forward and get off.  I don’t want to prolong my stay on clonazepam.  It’s been too long already.  I just want off.  They’ve both given me symptoms they were supposed to improve. I feel toxic being on them. Toxic.  The best word I can think of to describe how I feel.

Best wishes and smooth tapering for you! 

We’ll both be free one day.

💜