Help and advice to reduce 6mg daily of Clonazepam.

[gi...]

Hello everyone:

I have been taking 6mg of Clonazepam daily for 10 years, divided into three doses of 2mg each, mainly to treat various anxiety disorders that I suffer. For 6 years I have also taken 300mg of Quetiapine that my doctor prescribed for me to sleep. For about 4 months my doctor has prescribed Escitalopram 10mg because I have commented on my intention to gradually reduce Clonazepam and he has told me that both Escitalopram and Quetiapine will help me to leave Clonazepam.

I am new to the forum but from what I have been able to read the reduction it should be done more or less slowly and gradually, what is not very clear to me are the proportions of medication and the time intervals in the reduction period. It may sound a bit remixed but I would prefer to suffer the minimum symptoms of abstinence, to be honest that scares me, I do not care if the process is long and slow.

Then, starting from the previous premises and that I want to do the whole process of reduction with Clonazepam himself without crossing with other benzos, what rate of reduction do you advise me? The minimum dose I can get with my current tablets is 0.5 mg. Could I start to decrease from this dose and reduce 0.5mg every 2-3 weeks ?. What if I reduce in smaller proportions, like a quarter of 0.5mg, that is 0.125mg every week?

I am aware that this process requires will, effort and patience but at the same time I would not like to extend it in time more than necessary.

I would appreciate any advice, opinion or experience of anyone who is in the same position or who has successfully completed the process. Also any suggestions will be welcome. Many thanks.

A slow, gradual withdrawal is needed, especially from your high dose, and long-term usage.  A rate of 5%/14 days is a good place to start.

The most gentle way to taper is a daily microtaper, making tiny reductions each day instead of larger, periodical cuts.  And the easiest way to do a microtaper  is by liquifying your tablets in a solvent (vodka or propylene glycol) and tehn diluting it with water.

Hello,

I know that English is not your first language but we've had members from all over the world and somehow we can make the communication successful.

I would suggest that you follow a percentage based reduction. I tried just cutting pills myself and it was very tough, I hadn't found this forum and was lacking good information.

The best plan is to reduce no more than 5-10% of your dose every 10-14 days. This allows your central nervous system to adjust to the reductions.  How to do this with tablets? Some of our members use a jewelers scale.  The brand most recommended is Gemini and available on Amazon.  You might see if this is available in Spain.  Others simply shave off small amounts with a file, which is not as accurate as using a scale.

This is the best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

There is also a plan called Titration, where you mix a solution containing the benzo and a liquid and reduce small amounts this way.  I'll give you a link to the Titration Board. If you are interested in this plan, we have several very well informed and knowledgeable members who would help you with a plan.

Many people have successfully tapered from high doses of drugs like clonazepam.  You can do this, with patience and a good plan.

pianogirl

Titration Taper Plans   

OK BBuddies, check my work here....

I tapered from 4mg (taken at night for sleep) over 11 months. I started out cutting taps which was good until I hit a point where w/d symptoms hit me. That occurred around 2mg. I held here for a couple of weeks to regroup and make a plan. Found the liquid titration here on BB.

I was taking 2-2mg tablets. Like I said I used pill cutter to where I was down to one about 1mg. If I was doing it again I would have used the liquid titration method the whole way. You are so right to go slow but its not necessary to go tooo slow, you will figure out where that point is.

I went back to the dr. that prescribed this poison to me and got my script to 0.5mg tab. Here is how I did the titration but you will need some tools.

1. pill crusher (any drugstore)

2. a glass measured beaker (20ml  from Amazon)

3. needless syringe (20ml from Amazon)

4. small container with sealed lid (Tupperware)

How to:

a. crush pill finely

b. dumb into Tupperware container

c. measure 20 of milk (or orange juice, I used whole milk as suggested to me)

d. pour milk into Tupperware, secure with lid, shake well

This part may seem confusing but it is easy, really. (this is my example, you can sub a 60ml measure/syringe for my 20ml)

1: I had a 20ml mixture of 0.5mg clonazepam/milk or 0.5/20 = 0.025 mg/ml. Just divide the pill size by the milliliters of milk.

2: Decide how fast you want to taper. In this example I did 1 ml every 5 days. You don't get that drop every 2 weeks. its a steady taper.

3: I would drop 1ml every 5 days for (5 * 0.025 =0.125 mg) Use syringe to pull out 20ml of mixture. (you have your full dose in milk now)

4: Push 1ml out of syringe into trash (never down the sink). You have 19ml left in syringe. This is your dose to take, squirt into mouth.

5: clean up

It is very easy really, once you do it a couple of times its very easy. You will adjust based on your circumstances.

Lets say in your case. You could use 20ml beaker and syringe for 2mg of clonazepam, three times a day

- crush 2mg of pills

- measure milk in 20ml beaker

- mix in container, shake well

- your now have 2mg/20ml OR 0.1mg/ 1 mL

- fill syringe to full 20mg

- squirt out 1ml into trash leaving you with 19mL (you just tapered by 0.1mg)

- next day do 18 mL, etc. Write down you steps as you may forget

- empty the remaining 19ml into mouth with the syringe

sounds more difficult than it is but you will get the hang of it......I am sure you will have other methods bu this worked great for me, my jump was totally uneventful. And after about a 6 weeks I was feeling better and now I am out 5 1/2 months and pretty good. I am figuring out what causes me not to sleep. If I sleep I am great the next day. It was beers and sodas for me.

Stone

Just a caution...

Milk can be used to dissolve (most) benzos, because they are lipid (fat) soluble.

But orange juice is NOT a benzo solvent, and can NOT be used to make a benzo solution.

builder, I read that and I used whole milk at the Benzo binds to the fat...so I read..it worked for me

Yes, milk (and other fatty emulsions) works fine as a benzo solvent.

Orange juice does not.

Hi pianogirl, builder, J Stone

Many thanks for your comments and your kindness. Sorry for the delay in writing, I had a problem with the google translator. I'm new to this forum and I'm a little lost, reading here and there. I very much appreciate your valuable opinions, next month I have an appointment with my doctor and I want to have a more or less defined plan to ask him.

A slow, gradual withdrawal is needed, especially from your high dose, and long-term usage.  A rate of 5%/14 days is a good place to start.

The most gentle way to taper is a daily microtaper, making tiny reductions each day instead of larger, periodical cuts.  And the easiest way to do a microtaper  is by liquifying your tablets in a solvent (vodka or propylene glycol) and tehn diluting it with water.

Ok. I will take into account the percentage and the time interval that you propose to me for withdrawal. I would also be interested in making a microtaper but alcohol doesn't suit me (will I be a weird guy?)  :-\

Hello,

I know that English is not your first language but we've had members from all over the world and somehow we can make the communication successful.

I would suggest that you follow a percentage based reduction. I tried just cutting pills myself and it was very tough, I hadn't found this forum and was lacking good information.

The best plan is to reduce no more than 5-10% of your dose every 10-14 days. This allows your central nervous system to adjust to the reductions.  How to do this with tablets? Some of our members use a jewelers scale.  The brand most recommended is Gemini and available on Amazon.  You might see if this is available in Spain.  Others simply shave off small amounts with a file, which is not as accurate as using a scale.

There is also a plan called Titration, where you mix a solution containing the benzo and a liquid and reduce small amounts this way.  I'll give you a link to the Titration Board. If you are interested in this plan, we have several very well informed and knowledgeable members who would help you with a plan.

Many people have successfully tapered from high doses of drugs like clonazepam.  You can do this, with patience and a good plan.

pianogirl

Titration Taper Plans 

Hi pianogirl. Ok. That is very much in line with the builder comment. It seems that there are some commonly accepted rules and that should be so because they have had to prove to be effective. That reassures me. As for the Titration plan as soon as I have time, I will certainly post a post on the link you provide me. Many thanks! :thumbsup:

Hello,

pianogirl

Titration Taper Plans 

Hi pianogirl. Ok. That is very much in line with the builder comment. It seems that there are some commonly accepted rules and that should be so because they have had to prove to be effective. That reassures me. As for the Titration plan as soon as I have time, I will certainly post a post on the link you provide me. Many thanks! :thumbsup:

You are very welcome!

OK BBuddies, check my work here....

I tapered from 4mg (taken at night for sleep) over 11 months. I started out cutting taps which was good until I hit a point where w/d symptoms hit me. That occurred around 2mg. I held here for a couple of weeks to regroup and make a plan. Found the liquid titration here on BB.

I was taking 2-2mg tablets. Like I said I used pill cutter to where I was down to one about 1mg. If I was doing it again I would have used the liquid titration method the whole way. You are so right to go slow but its not necessary to go tooo slow, you will figure out where that point is.

I went back to the dr. that prescribed this poison to me and got my script to 0.5mg tab. Here is how I did the titration but you will need some tools.

1. pill crusher (any drugstore)

2. a glass measured beaker (20ml  from Amazon)

3. needless syringe (20ml from Amazon)

4. small container with sealed lid (Tupperware)

How to:

a. crush pill finely

b. dumb into Tupperware container

c. measure 20 of milk (or orange juice, I used whole milk as suggested to me)

d. pour milk into Tupperware, secure with lid, shake well

This part may seem confusing but it is easy, really. (this is my example, you can sub a 60ml measure/syringe for my 20ml)

1: I had a 20ml mixture of 0.5mg clonazepam/milk or 0.5/20 = 0.025 mg/ml. Just divide the pill size by the milliliters of milk.

2: Decide how fast you want to taper. In this example I did 1 ml every 5 days. You don't get that drop every 2 weeks. its a steady taper.

3: I would drop 1ml every 5 days for (5 * 0.025 =0.125 mg) Use syringe to pull out 20ml of mixture. (you have your full dose in milk now)

4: Push 1ml out of syringe into trash (never down the sink). You have 19ml left in syringe. This is your dose to take, squirt into mouth.

5: clean up

It is very easy really, once you do it a couple of times its very easy. You will adjust based on your circumstances.

Lets say in your case. You could use 20ml beaker and syringe for 2mg of clonazepam, three times a day

- crush 2mg of pills

- measure milk in 20ml beaker

- mix in container, shake well

- your now have 2mg/20ml OR 0.1mg/ 1 mL

- fill syringe to full 20mg

- squirt out 1ml into trash leaving you with 19mL (you just tapered by 0.1mg)

- next day do 18 mL, etc. Write down you steps as you may forget

- empty the remaining 19ml into mouth with the syringe

sounds more difficult than it is but you will get the hang of it......I am sure you will have other methods bu this worked great for me, my jump was totally uneventful. And after about a 6 weeks I was feeling better and now I am out 5 1/2 months and pretty good. I am figuring out what causes me not to sleep. If I sleep I am great the next day. It was beers and sodas for me.

Stone

Hi J Stone. Thank you very much for your presentation, it is really very illustrative. Another alternative that I have at my disposal. But there is a small problem, I am intolerant to milk (I am definitely a rare type :-\) Is there an alternative to milk?

Just a caution...

Milk can be used to dissolve (most) benzos, because they are lipid (fat) soluble.

But orange juice is NOT a benzo solvent, and can NOT be used to make a benzo solution.

What a bad luck! Orange juice feels great ... >:(

Hello everyone:

I have been taking 6mg of Clonazepam daily for 10 years, divided into three doses of 2mg each, mainly to treat various anxiety disorders that I suffer. For 6 years I have also taken 300mg of Quetiapine that my doctor prescribed for me to sleep. For about 4 months my doctor has prescribed Escitalopram 10mg because I have commented on my intention to gradually reduce Clonazepam and he has told me that both Escitalopram and Quetiapine will help me to leave Clonazepam.

I am new to the forum but from what I have been able to read the reduction it should be done more or less slowly and gradually, what is not very clear to me are the proportions of medication and the time intervals in the reduction period. It may sound a bit remixed but I would prefer to suffer the minimum symptoms of abstinence, to be honest that scares me, I do not care if the process is long and slow.

Then, starting from the previous premises and that I want to do the whole process of reduction with Clonazepam himself without crossing with other benzos, what rate of reduction do you advise me? The minimum dose I can get with my current tablets is 0.5 mg. Could I start to decrease from this dose and reduce 0.5mg every 2-3 weeks ?. What if I reduce in smaller proportions, like a quarter of 0.5mg, that is 0.125mg every week?

I am aware that this process requires will, effort and patience but at the same time I would not like to extend it in time more than necessary.

I would appreciate any advice, opinion or experience of anyone who is in the same position or who has successfully completed the process. Also any suggestions will be welcome. Many thanks.

You can look at my signature.

I was on 5mg of klonopin daily for 20+ years. I have reduced fairly aggressively with a month or two holds in between each taper.  I'm currently at 2mg and I see my Pdoctor September 13th, in which I will do another drop. At the moment I am not sure if it will be a .5mg drop or another 1mg drop.

My symptoms have been VERY manageable. But, with that being said, we are all different and experience this differently. I'm fortunately able to still be very active and work. I too am not crossing over to another benzo or doing a DLMT (sp?). My doctor is hoping that I can be off K by the end of the year. That would be nice (AND I am hopeful that I can), but this is our own experience and we might need to pump the brakes if things are going too fast.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you want.

Hello,

pianogirl

Titration Taper Plans 

You are very welcome!

¡Many thanks!  :)

Ok. I will take into account the percentage and the time interval that you propose to me for withdrawal. I would also be interested in making a microtaper but alcohol doesn't suit me (will I be a weird guy?)  :-\

Then use propylene glycol.  It works just as well as alcohol.  (4 of the 5 Rx benzo liquids available here in the US use PG as a solvent.)

Hello everyone:

You can look at my signature.

I was on 5mg of klonopin daily for 20+ years. I have reduced fairly aggressively with a month or two holds in between each taper.  I'm currently at 2mg and I see my Pdoctor September 13th, in which I will do another drop. At the moment I am not sure if it will be a .5mg drop or another 1mg drop.

My symptoms have been VERY manageable. But, with that being said, we are all different and experience this differently. I'm fortunately able to still be very active and work. I too am not crossing over to another benzo or doing a DLMT (sp?). My doctor is hoping that I can be off K by the end of the year. That would be nice (AND I am hopeful that I can), but this is our own experience and we might need to pump the brakes if things are going too fast.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you want.

Hi FreshStar. Many thanks for your post. First of all I congratulate you and I am very happy for you and your achievements in such a short time! I don't know if I will be able to go at the same pace ... I hope so, hopefully! I guess here we are all in the same boat and for the same purpose. Of course, each of us has our own circumstances and we don't know how long our journey will last. If this were an exact science it would be much simpler. Anyway, his story is very encouraging for me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and hopefully you will reach the goal, that would be a wonderful end of the year gift! See you around here.  :)

On a high dose like that, you can probably start by reducing .5 mg pills at a time, maybe a few weeks between cuts. In the beginning it probably wont be hard. If/when it starts getting tough, them I would advocate switching to a liquid taper as Builder described. I agree with you that a crossover is not a good idea. No need with a long acting benzo like K. Good luck!!!

Then use propylene glycol.  It works just as well as alcohol.  (4 of the 5 Rx benzo liquids available here in the US use PG as a solvent.)

Hi builder Thanks for the note. I just checked that propylene glycol is allowed and available also in my country (Spain). So if I finally decide to do a micro withdrawal I already have the right alternative. Many thanks!  :thumbsup:

Well folks, it's a little late here and it's time to go to bed. If it seems good, we will continue talking at another time. Thank you all for your advice. See you around here.  :)

On a high dose like that, you can probably start by reducing .5 mg pills at a time, maybe a few weeks between cuts. In the beginning it probably wont be hard. If/when it starts getting tough, them I would advocate switching to a liquid taper as Builder described. I agree with you that a crossover is not a good idea. No need with a long acting benzo like K. Good luck!!!

Hi Keagan. Yes, I will surely start withdrawing 0.5mg every 2-3 weeks. Many thanks!  :thumbsup:

Hi Keagan. Yes, I will surely start withdrawing 0.5mg every 2-3 weeks. Many thanks!  :thumbsup:

You will have lots of support on the way. You are just starting. Most folks who join here have alrady hit problems, Hopefully you will be one of the easy tapers.

You will have lots of support on the way. You are just starting. Most folks who join here have alrady hit problems, Hopefully you will be one of the easy tapers.

¡Many thanks for your good wishes!