What do you do for agoraphobia?

[To...]

Hi Everybody

Just wondering if any of you have things you do to fight back against agoraphobia. I started having benzo issues last summer, and have been tapering since November 2018. My agoraphobia is getting worse and worse. I already lost my job, and my world is getting smaller as I can interact with increasingly less of the world. I have read that just imagining doing stressful things can help reduce the aversion. I try to go do something challenging each day, which at this point is something like merely going into a store. I am really troubled because just a year ago I was very adventurous and now I'm having a hard time dealing with this new reality where I am afraid of just about everything. What do you guys do to address agoraphobia? 

Thanks!

-Tom

Hi Everybody

Just wondering if any of you have things you do to fight back against agoraphobia. I started having benzo issues last summer, and have been tapering since November 2018. My agoraphobia is getting worse and worse. I already lost my job, and my world is getting smaller as I can interact with increasingly less of the world. I have read that just imagining doing stressful things can help reduce the aversion. I try to go do something challenging each day, which at this point is something like merely going into a store. I am really troubled because just a year ago I was very adventurous and now I'm having a hard time dealing with this new reality where I am afraid of just about everything. What do you guys do to address agoraphobia? 

Thanks!

-Tom

Agoraphobia is one of the most difficult symptoms. It's common though. I think I remember reading that half of Ashton's patients developed it when they hadn't had before. I've developed it too, and, yes, it can be debilitating in ways. Our worlds become small in this process and, I think, they often have to be. Don't challenge yourself outside your comfort zone, whatever that it ... but do challenge yourself within it. Keep reminding yourself that this is a fear, but it won't harm or kill you.

Please PLEASE read this book!!! It saved my life!! I am out again doing things I never thought were possible. It works!!!

You have to do a little at a time And truly desensitize yourself.  It sounds like such BS but trust me it works!  I began with little things, and everyday I set aside two hours for my work. I couldn’t walk halfway up my block.

Spend time doing everything this book tells you too.

Panic attack book

David Carbonell

Please PLEASE read this book!!! It saved my life!! I am out again doing things I never thought were possible. It works!!!

You have to do a little at a time And truly desensitize yourself.  It sounds like such BS but trust me it works!  I began with little things, and everyday I set aside two hours for my work. I couldn’t walk halfway up my block.

Spend time doing everything this book tells you too.

Panic attack book

David Carbonell

I have quite the opposite, monophobia but it's still panick attack based. I'll look up the book.

Thanks guys

Angelinnny I'll have to read that book. I had wondered if these techniques worked for benzo injured people, and it looks like they helped you. Sometimes I think treatments for various problems don't work for us benzo people because it's a different situation.

You are doing it. Challenging your self daily.

Keep getting out, even if for just a short walk.

I like to think about it like this... is it fear of how others are perceiving me or just feeling so wacked out I cant stand to be in public?

Well for me it's the ladder. I like to remind myself to fake it. Act wierd if that's where I'm at. Stumble on my words, feel the fear of my surroundings closing in, lose my trian of thought. I tell myself it's ok... my brain is fucked up right now and who cares what people might think... they are generally too busy thinking about their own fears anyway.

I keep doing this and every day is a practice in coping skills.

Yes it’s def a challenge.  What works for me is trying NOT to fight the panic attack and distract it. I remind myself that I’m not afraid of having a panic attack at home or the car....why? Because I think I won’t be able to control it? It makes no sense so I try to remind myself, a PA is a PA no matter where it happens and weather it’s home or not, I WILL get scared and have palpitations BUT it WILL end.

The book helped me to push myself and desensitize the way my brain was processing everything as a fear. Eventually ,  being and  doing these things repetitive, our brain does not any longer perceive them as threats.

Give it a shot. Little bits each day! I used to spend days at a time just going To a nearby department store and riding the escalator , up and down , up and down!

Sounds crazy but it helped 

You can do it too!

Yes it’s def a challenge.  What works for me is trying NOT to fight the panic attack and distract it. I remind myself that I’m not afraid of having a panic attack at home or the car....why? Because I think I won’t be able to control it? It makes no sense so I try to remind myself, a PA is a PA no matter where it happens and weather it’s home or not, I WILL get scared and have palpitations BUT it WILL end.

The book helped me to push myself and desensitize the way my brain was processing everything as a fear. Eventually ,  being and  doing these things repetitive, our brain does not any longer perceive them as threats.

Give it a shot. Little bits each day! I used to spend days at a time just going To a nearby department store and riding the escalator , up and down , up and down!

Sounds crazy but it helped 

You can do it too!

Angelinny did that work with withdrawal terror, not only with "normal" panic attacks. I find withdrawal terror is more difficult to reason with. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I had agoraphobia as well at the time I tapered. It went totally away when I was roughly 6 months off. Eventually It disappears

I had to work at overcoming my agoraphobia. I made myself go out every single day and drive somewhere, even if I didn't have an errand.

Eventually, as my taper reached its end, so did my agoraphobia. That is to say, the fear of going out ebbed away. BUT if I had stayed in my house, or on my couch, I don't think I would have lost the habit of staying in. Staying in leaves you in a nice, safe cocoon. Nothing can hurt you in your safe place.

I think the OP said he was gong out every day. Good! Then go a little farther the days you are able to.

Being out in the world is one of things I cherish -- I wasn't going to let benzos take it from me. Even if I felt scared as hell.

Be well,

Katz

Valiumnomore,

Hmmm... good question! I started doing both the weening and the exercises at the same time.

Tough to tell. I’m still on a very tiny dose , not sure how much it’s affecting me or if it even is. Pharmacist says it’s too little of a dose to have any effect. I’m not certain I agree

I’ll def keep ya posted once I’m off completely. 😊

Thomas and Oregon ,

That is great news!! So good to hear!  I was worried also that after I would get rebound panic attacks ... I’ve been on Venezia my entire life. Crazy thing is, I really only had one MAJOR PA in all those years. Hense the reason I went on Benzos. During the 25 years while on them , I didn’t abd so of course, it’s natural to worry about them coming back but I’m just going to try and ride them out till my mind feels it’s ok...it is the anticipatory that’s worse so in due time, I’m thinking, it ll all get better.

Continue to feel well!

It's encouraging to see that posters here recovered from agoraphobia, with both long-term and short-term use. I also cherished getting out in the world. I can't wait to enjoy it again. My brain just feels so messed up that I get very uncomfortable being out. I have to think getting out as much as I can at least helps a little.