Introduction

[Ze...]

Hi, I've been taking Klonopin since 2011 or 2013. I took .5mg as needed for about a year. Than 1mg as needed. I stayed on that for years. The past two years or so, my anxiety started to get worse. My pdoc prescribed 1mg in the morning and evening.

Long story short... I don't feel my anxiety has improved. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. Klonopin does not provide much relief; I think I'm dependent on it.

I tried cutting my dose in half five days ago and supplementing with CBD oil. But I am feeling pretty weird. Am having a lot of trouble collecting my thoughts or sustaining attention.

So, I've been researching. Came across the Ashton method, this site. I have an appointment with my pdoc on Tuesday. I think he is going to be reluctant to have me go off of Klonopin regardless of method. I guess we'll see.

Hi ZenPineapple :hug: and Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you found us, I am sorry you are having issues with Klonopin.  Congratulations on making the decision to taper!  We can help you with support and taper/withdrawal information.  In general it’s advised to cut your daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  This is depending on how you feel.  If symptoms get too much then you might decide to cut less,  the goal is to remain as functional as possible whilst moving forwards. 

I am glad you are familiar with the  Ashton Manual, It’s great for understanding the effect benzodiazepines have on our body.  It also provides tapering and withdrawal information.  You will find some valuable support and info on the forum.  Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

You might wish to post to the this support group, 

Klonopin Klub  members will be happy to share their experience and offer advice. 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard and good luck with your appointment!

Magrita

Anxiety can be a sign one has reached tolerance to the benzodiazepine, which is generally what happens over time with this class of drug.

At that point the drug can be increased in order to relieve the symptom or if you decide not to continue this cycle, tapering starts because therapeutic benefits have disappeared.

If you cut the dose in half five days ago then you’re most likely feeling withdrawal symptoms. If your symptoms become uncomfortable you may want to consider going back to something closer to your original dose and slowly tapering from there.

Klonopin is long-acting so symptoms may continue to escalate two weeks from the date of the 50% cut.

I agree with the previous reply, having experienced this myself.  Cutting a dose in half will take longer to recover but reinstating to stabilize gives you the opportunity to taper off at a slower pace since it has been just a few days for you.  Benzobuddies is a great place to learn about the different methods of tapering and the members are very helpful.  I tried cutting pills with terrible results before someone taught me to dissolve it in Vodka and add water.  I'm now down from 2 mg Clonazepam to .25 mg.  So, welcome to BB and best wishes for a safe taper.  PS I'm new here, too, but I've been tapering a long time.  Each person finds what works best for them and you have choices.