Hello Community

[gi...]

I am a 50 year old man from Spain. I apologize if my English is not the most correct since I am translating directly from Google. I am a relatively healthy person, I try to eat well and do sports as much as possible. Despite this all my life I have suffered anxiety disorders, social phobia and panic attacks because my brain does not produce enough serotonin. For this reason when I was 30 years old my doctor prescribed Escitalopram to mitigate all those unpleasant sensations that my mind and body experienced. The truth is that I was doing very well with medication but it had side effects on my libido. Instead of looking for natural substances that would increase my sexuality, I repeatedly complained to my doctor about changing Escitalopram for another medication. And that was my big mistake because for 10 years I take 6mg daily of Rivotril (Clonazepam) divided into three doses. At first I felt good because I could lead a completely normal life and I could also sleep well only with Clonazepam. However, from the second year I began to develop symptoms of dependence and tolerance. During those two years I tried to leave the medication several times following my doctor's guideline, in my view too quickly, with unsatisfactory results since within a few weeks the abstinence was unbearable. Since then I returned to take Clonazepam 6mg daily but my doctor prescribed Quetiapine 300mg to sleep and to help me not have to increase the dose of Rivotril 6mg. After such a long time taking this medication I feel that it has caused me a great deterioration of my cognitive, mental and physical faculties. I want to leave Clonazepam definitely but this time I want to do it right. It doesn't matter if the process is slow and requires time, I have the will and courage to walk this path. My doctor has re-established Escitalopram 10mg for 3 months and is a flexible and dialogue person to listen to any approach I propose. In this sense I have tried to read a lot of literature available on the Internet about benzodiazepines and specifically about Clonazepam, of which everyone admits that it is an extremely potent and addictive substance and whose reduction should be gradual and slow. Obviously I have also been able to read Dr. Ashton's manual in its entirety, which although it has been a few years since its publication has seemed to me the most comprehensive, complete and informative dossier I have been able to find about benzodiazepines. In this manual, Dr. Ashton proposes several reduction programs depending on the type of benzodiazepine that is being consumed and always with the purpose of replacing it with its equivalences with Diazepam which, according to her, facilitates a more uniform and consequently more tolerable plasma half-life control. in the final achievement of the total withdrawal of benzodiazepine with hardly any withdrawal symptoms. In one of its programs, it specifically addresses the reduction and withdrawal of Clonazepam but starting with an initial dose of 3mg daily. I am taking 6mg daily. How should or could I reduce the dose to 3mg and be able to follow Dr. Ashton's program?

Can I slowly reduce the first 3mg only with Clonazepam? Should I look for equivalences with Diazepam from the beginning and in what proportions? Could I follow the program proposed by Dr. Ashton for the reduction of Alprazolam 6mg that has the same equivalence in Diazepam as Clonazepam or would it be inappropriate and dangerous? I await your experiences as well as your suggestions. Many thanks for your attention and for reading me. Greetings from Spain.

Welcome To Benzo Buddies.

There are several methods for tapering, you will find them here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

The Ashton guide is a wonderful resource, and a good place to start. However, many people don't transfer to Valium well, and additionally, have to go slower than she advises.

This is why in the beginning of our taper, we may have many stops and starts as we find a method or methods that enable us to taper without too much distress.

Here are some helpful links:

"What is happening in your brain," is a wonderful place to start your self education. It explains why we experience all the things we do, and that they are all signs of healing. I still read this at least once a week when the symptoms are overwhelming  me.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=66397.0

And this, so you know the potential things you may experience, and that they are normal:

This is a list of withdraw symptoms:

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#4

In the forums pertinent to your circumstances, you will find other buddies going through their own withdraw.  This is a good place to ask questions, and receive guidance.

Welcome to Benzo Buddies, you have come to a safe, confidential informative support group, and we are happy to have you as a member.

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you. Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

We look forward to reading more from you over the forthcoming days and weeks.

Take care,

BB Team