[Th...]

I have been taking klonopin as scheduled below:

My Klonopin duration is as follow:

5/24/19 - 5/31/19 - 1 mg Klonopin per day

6/1/19 - 6/14 - 0.5 mg per day

6/15 - 6/29 - 2 mg a day

6/29 - 8/1 1.5 mg a day

8/2 - 8/18 1.0 mg per day

While I was taking klonopin and tapered off klonpin I haven’t noticed any positive or negative side effects while taking it. The only time I felt a benzo hit me was when I took 1.5 mg of Xanax in one sitting. While I decreased the klonpin from 2 mg to 1 mg in 2 week intervals I haven’t noticed any withdrawal symptoms

I went to see a different psychiatrist and he advised me to take 0.5 mg of Xanax as needed instead of tapering off the klonpin.

I will be taking Xanax as needed as I will be on a 10 day trip out of the US. Has anyone gone this route before?

If you were at 1 mg of Klonopin and only have Xanax ‘as needed’, you may find yourself needing it every 4-6 hours as that is its effective range. According to the equivalence chart in the Ashton Manual https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm .5mg may be a bit short...you may get relief closer to 1mg. If it were me I’d start with .5mg and if things got rough I’d try maybe another half or whole .5 tablet.  Xanax works really fast, unlike Klonopin.

Just my two cents. These are both benzodiazepines but they are very different within the class.

Thank you for your input. Given that I have taken the klonpin and switch over to Xanax will I experience withdrawal symptoms from the klonpin? I would like to only take 0.5 mg if Xanax a day at most if needed since I want to come off of benzos

I don’t really have a concrete answer about whether or not you’ll feel withdrawal from the klonopin, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that I think Xanax will cover withdrawal symptoms from K since they’re both benzodiazepines.

However I’d be surprised if one .5mg Xanax a day does it. Because it’s short-acting it’s likely to be effective for 4-6 hours tops. 

You could always try splitting the .5 tablet in half and take as needed, too. But I’m still thinking you’ll need to take two a day... so probably .25mg four times a day. 

Xanax is effective in a few minutes so you should be able to control symptoms by taking it that way. I just wouldn’t try to tough it out for too long. If you try to get by with .5mg that would equal a 50% drop in benzodiazepines. Most of us wouldn’t do well with that kind of drop.

I took 0.5 mg of klonpin yesterday.

I just took my first dose of Xanax a few minutes ago at 0.5 mg, since I was feeling anxious, nauseous, and light headed.

I just don’t want to be stuck on these benzos for a while.

:-[

I have been taking Prozac as well since June 23rd but have yet to have that kick in.

I totally understand wanting to be done with benzodiazepines. Had I been able or willing to simply stop taking them, I would’ve done that in a heartbeat. But it really does make a difference if you taper instead. 

Are you able to keep posting when you’re on your trip? I think you’ll probably do okay but it may be reassuring to check in here.  :)

Yes, thank you for your support. I will keep you posted. I will take 2 0.5 mg of Xanax a day if needed, idk if I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms of if it was just pure anxiety due to taking another drug

Yes, thank you for your support. I will keep you posted. I will take 2 0.5 mg of Xanax a day if needed, idk if I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms of if it was just pure anxiety due to taking another drug

Good question to be asking yourself....and impossible to know which it might be. Try to distract yourself from anxiety by doing something else for awhile.  Maybe try the forum’s board called Just for fun...games and puzzles : http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=150.0

:smitten:

Thank you for the advice! I will try to distract my mind. Through out the day I have been feeling light headed, nauseous and just threw up i only took 0.5 mg still. Most likely related to anxiety since I have been taking 1 mg of klonopin and felt fine for the most part and today is my first day with Xanax.

Feel free to reach out to me for support via the PM system if you need it. Sometimes just knowing someone’s there is enough to lower the anxiety.