Doctor recommended anti depressant for faster taper?

[...]

So I saw my doctor the other day.  I asked for a taper plan he just told me to go “as needed” and didn’t give a taper plan.. however he said at .350MG Klonopin if I start using anti depressants I could get off in possibly  two months. Or if I stay on my current path could take up to a year. Has anyone had anti depressants help them with their taper?

Antidepressants won't make your taper easier it will make it harder because you will have to taper off that too while dealing with the toxic effects.

Antidepressants won't make your taper easier it will make it harder because you will have to taper off that too while dealing with the toxic effects.

exactly!  :thumbsup:

A few find that ADs /SSRIs help with depression, many do not. It’s a heavily debated subject here. Ultimately the decision is up to the individual.

As far as speeding up your taper, I don’t really know how starting on an AD or SSRI might help. Usually it’s best to be aware of symptoms as one tapers and cut or hold accordingly.

Wishing you the best.  :smitten:

Benzos don't really mix well with other psychotrophic drugs or any drugs for that matter. They can interfere with the process of healing, and it makes it difficult to parse out what symptoms come from the benzo and what's from the AD. And tapering off ADs can be a bear. Some people do okay with them, but it's hard to say who would do well in tapering and who wouldn't. Benzos are hard enough.

Your doctor making such an assumption that with an AD you'd be able to get off benzos in possibly two months is pretty ludicrous and tells me he has a lot to learn about benzo withdrawal. Doctors don't understand benzos for the most part. I would instead go to The Benzo Information Coalition or some other site to find out what the experts think.

Heather Ashton endorsed AD's to helped with benzo tapers. Worked for me immensely (I was detoxed with AD assist). The one caveat is that many AD's are stimulating at first, which may actually make you feel super crappy at the start. Cymbalta and Remeron worked for me. SSRI's made me feel lousy. Good luck!!!

Benzos don't really mix well with other psychotrophic drugs or any drugs for that matter. They can interfere with the process of healing, and it makes it difficult to parse out what symptoms come from the benzo and what's from the AD. And tapering off ADs can be a bear. Some people do okay with them, but it's hard to say who would do well in tapering and who wouldn't. Benzos are hard enough.

Your doctor making such an assumption that with an AD you'd be able to get off benzos in possibly two months is pretty ludicrous and tells me he has a lot to learn about benzo withdrawal. Doctors don't understand benzos for the most part. I would instead go to The Benzo Information Coalition or some other site to find out what the experts think.

And you should read the Ashton manual which contradicts all the above.

I hear a lot of buddies use them during withdrawal to either help with severe depression or severe insomnia. Has anyone used them for extreme anxiety?

Personally, I would never take another SSRI again. They just don't work, IMO. The drug companies hid all their own research which showed how ineffective they ARE, and only printed the few positive results. They were designed only to make a lot of money.

Any drug that affects your mood or thinking is risky, IMO. Benzo wd is something one just has to endure, and get through it however long it takes.

east

Personally, I would never take another SSRI again. They just don't work, IMO. The drug companies hid all their own research which showed how ineffective they ARE, and only printed the few positive results. They were designed only to make a lot of money.

Any drug that affects your mood or thinking is risky, IMO. Benzo wd is something one just has to endure, and get through it however long it takes.

east

exactamundo!

east

I wont ever take an ssri ever either because I hated them, but to be fair, they do help some people. They were harsh as hell on my system, but some folks have done well on them. Its an individual thing.

Heather Ashton endorsed AD's to helped with benzo tapers. Worked for me immensely (I was detoxed with AD assist). The one caveat is that many AD's are stimulating at first, which may actually make you feel super crappy at the start. Cymbalta and Remeron worked for me. SSRI's made me feel lousy. Good luck!!!

Yes, it really depends on the individual. I only tolerate the fluoxetine. It has helped me with the BZD WD. Also sertraline during my first BZD taper. A lot of people benefit from mirtazapine. But the weight gain side effect is no fun at all.

And you should read the Ashton manual which contradicts all the above.

I've read A LOT of posts from people who have had personal experience. They're double-edged swords. It's great that you had no problem, but so many people do have a problem. Cymbalta, especially, can be problematic. But everyone's different.