Is the Anti-Medication Stance Really Good for People in Withdrawal?

[bo...]

I'm starting to really worry that the depression and fear and intrusive thoughts and anger are just a part of me now at 17 months off benzos. I quit c/t after being kindled many times. Last summer, when I was 5 months off, I actually had hope and thought I would be better by now. I thought being off the medication would turn my life around. It hasn't. The medication allowed me to work for years when I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I'm worried that I'm not going to get better and that I may just need medication for depression/anxiety. I am wondering if the anti-medication stance that most people have on these forums and Facebook groups is good for people or not who are suffering mostly mental symptoms, espeically after waiting so long. One woman on a Facebook group said she would rather kill herself than take medication again. I asked her if she had tried any antidepressants after benzo withdrawal and she said no, she hadn't. She would prefer an assisted suicide over trying anything. I mean shouldn't she be encouraged to try something if she is considering that. She has been off for two years now. I'm just wondering if steering people away from all meds is really a good idea.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [no...]

• [be...]

• [Ch...]

Well, drugs can be paradoxical during the benzo mess. Benzos/benzo symptoms don't seem to do well with any other drugs. Yet I've read posts from people who said that such-and-such medication helped. It's an individual thing. Realize, though, at some point that medication will have to be tapered, too, and ADs are not easy to taper from. Again, though, it depends on the individual. Some people go quicker.

I'd say if you do decide to try anything else, start at the lowest dose. Don't let anyone talk you into a high dose.

A few years back I was in dire straits. I couldn't control my adrenaline, and it was very scary. My bp was unstable, and I went around in fear all the time. I had a doctor, my NP, and CBT therapist telling me that I needed to be on an AD. I was considering it very deeply. But I chose to wait it out, and it cleared up. In hindsight, I'm glad that I didn't choose to be on an AD. It would have been dicey, anyway, because I always have had low sodium, and I read that ADs can cause hyponatremia. And, knowing how sensitive I am to drugs, it would have to be tapered very slowly. I have enough problem with my bp pills.

Look, the depression, the fear, the intrusive thoughts are from the DRUG. They are not your true self. I had to grapple with bouts of depression, fear, and intrusive thoughts also. The depression still pops up but isn't like in the early stages. The fear and intrusive thoughts are very slowly fading away.

The forum itself isn’t anti-medication. However the sentiments expressed by a lot of forum members lean towards being anti-medication. This is somewhat of an extremist view but understandable in the context of what most of the folks here have been going through as a result of prescribed drugs.

I’m personally against medication if lifestyle changes will achieve the desired result, but if I faced a life-threatening condition that could only helped by a prescription I’d certainly take it. I take a prescription for RLS because not taking it equals a poor quality of life and the drug I take isn’t too problematic.

Btw, if it’s any consolation I saw little to no lifting of symptoms until 18 months. That was when things began to noticeably turn around for the better.

Hi, Challis. I know you were the person who welcomed me when I joined this forum in March of 2018. I understand why people are anti-med. I really do. I have endured hell on earth because of the medication. But how do we know the depression is still from benzos after a certain amount of time? I'm almost eighteen months now. But I also drank the first couple months off maybe I'm only to about fifteen months off now. Today, while taking a shower, I just felt there was no reason to go on living. Why can't that feeling just go away on its own? 

I don't think it's realistic to expect a forum full of folk who've been harmed by psych drugs to quit telling their stories and forewarning others.  If you feel you've educated yourself on the risks vs. benefits, it's a very personal decision, and you shouldn't feel the need to seek approval or consent from online strangers.  You've been um-aahing about taking an AD for probably a year or more now, you've taken Prozac in the past so it's not like it's your first time anyway.

Regarding this other post of yours:

I'm 17 months off now and I'm really doubting that everything I'm going through is benzo withdrawal at this point. The depression is deep. The anger and irritability is huge. I have horrifying intrusive thoughts. I also feel tired every second of the day. I have no desire to engage in activities I once did. I am starting to believe blaming everything on benzo withdrawal is becoming negligent in my life. I believe I may actually have depression based on changing relationships with my family since my daughter was born and changes since going through the worst of withdrawal. I am seeing a doctor soon to possibly try Remeron.

Bingo!  Agree 100%!  IMO, the way you're feeling is all life related and has nothing at all to do with "benzo withdrawal".  After all, as you said, it was due to work and life stress that you took benzos in the first place.  You were in a job for nearly ten years that you absolutely hated and which was causing you inordinate stress/anxiety.  Then comes a new baby, and the stress piles on, all the responsibilities, obligations, changes in family dynamics, etc., and you're feeling totally overwhelmed and dissatisfied with your "lot" and it builds and builds, resentment, anger, anxiety, depression, etc.  There's no shame in that, it's called being a human being!!!  However, unfortunately, you found your way to BB and immersed yourself into believing it was all the drug's fault and that "Time is the only healer".  Sigh. 

There you have my two cents, and probably 95% of BBs will disagree with me anyway.  Whether or not you decide to go back on an AD and/or benzo, I really believe with all my heart that your best chance of turning things around, is to move on from the benzo world, have the Admin suspend your account for six months so you won't be tempted to log on, and take the necessary time and commitment to attending to your life circumstances, learn some solid practical anxiety/stress/depression management skills.  What about that DNRS program, did you ever apply yourself to that in earnest?  Do it not only for yourself but for your poor innocent wife and baby daughter.

As always, ignore if you don't think it applies to you, just chewing the fat.  Wish you all the best.

There is a difference between being anti-meds and being pro informed consent or extremely cautious of them. I think some people try to justify their decision to take drugs by taking the stance that people who are cautious about them are automatically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I don't look at depression as a "thing that people get" that people "need medicine" for. I see it as a symptom of a larger problem that might be caused by drug damage or it could be caused by a poor diet or lifestyle issues, or in some cases another health issue such as a traumatic brain injury. So if there is truly a group of people that just "need drugs" to treat this, that group is pretty small and everyone should do whatever they can to figure out what is going on and if there are any other changes they can make to address the issue before they consider prescription drugs.

In the case of drug damage such as the kind that occurs with benzos you have to ask yourself if adding more drugs that have the potential to cause similar issues is really a viable option. In my opinion that's worse than taking a new drug to address the symptoms of another one you are taking.

If you haven't looked deeply into the roots of psychiatry, pharmaceutical drugs, the potential problems with the modern diet and even the way western society views issues such as these, you really should. You might come to realize that your fundamental thinking is flawed and that can cause you to make rash decisions. It isn't enough to know that some drugs can cause problems. You have to understand how the whole system came about that landed most of us here in the first place. When you see the inner workings for what they are it changes the way you view health and medical care from top to bottom.

There is a difference between being anti-meds and being pro informed consent or extremely cautious of them. I think some people try to justify their decision to take drugs by taking the stance that people who are cautious about them are automatically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I don't look at depression as a "thing that people get" that people "need medicine" for. I see it as a symptom of a larger problem that might be caused by drug damage or it could be caused by a poor diet or lifestyle issues, or in some cases another health issue such as a traumatic brain injury. So if there is truly a group of people that just "need drugs" to treat this, that group is pretty small and everyone should do whatever they can to figure out what is going on and if there are any other changes they can make to address the issue before they consider prescription drugs.

In the case of drug damage such as the kind that occurs with benzos you have to ask yourself if adding more drugs that have the potential to cause similar issues is really a viable option. In my opinion that's worse than taking a new drug to address the symptoms of another one you are taking.

If you haven't looked deeply into the roots of psychiatry, pharmaceutical drugs, the potential problems with the modern diet and even the way western society views issues such as these, you really should. You might come to realize that your fundamental thinking is flawed and that can cause you to make rash decisions. It isn't enough to know that some drugs can cause problems. You have to understand how the whole system came about that landed most of us here in the first place. When you see the inner workings for what they are it changes the way you view health and medical care from top to bottom.

:clap:  :thumbsup:

I’m desperate too!! I’m not even off them yet and I’m literally loosing my mind. I shake uncontrollably, confused, extreme rumination, derealization. Imagine what horrors are waiting after I get off. I’m terrified of taking anything else but something got to give. My life is getting smaller and smaller. I have a 10 year old son. He’s going to have to see me lose my mind? I lived for years with derealization and depression without meds but I always felt myself behind the madness. This drug took it into another level. I pray to God every day to help me make the right decision for my health. I was prescribed Zoloft by doctor and I’m terrified of taking it for fear that it will increase anxiety at first. Cipralex did this to me and that’s how I got on the benzos in the first place.

Hi, Challis. I know you were the person who welcomed me when I joined this forum in March of 2018. I understand why people are anti-med. I really do. I have endured hell on earth because of the medication. But how do we know the depression is still from benzos after a certain amount of time? I'm almost eighteen months now. But I also drank the first couple months off maybe I'm only to about fifteen months off now. Today, while taking a shower, I just felt there was no reason to go on living. Why can't that feeling just go away on its own?

I remember you.  :smitten:

Oh sure, I understand the anti-meds viewpoint (that auto-corrected to ‘anti-men’  :laugh: ). I particularly feel that way about psych drugs, not so adamantly about others. I take a prescription med for RLS. If I didn’t I’d have a much-reduced quality of life...and what I take doesn’t cause dependence. As little blips have occurred in my now 68 year old body I’ve been dealing with them with lifestyle changes and so far that’s working fine.

Most of us can look to who we were before benzodiazepines to get a good idea who we’ll be after. But IMHO it’s too soon at 17 months to expect to be there.

Hang in and don’t listen to those shower voices...turn on some music instead.

P.S. I see I repeated myself on the RLS info...another gettin’-old symptom.

Boom you’ve been a part of so many discussions on ADs and been given a TON of great advice yet you stir the pot more here on the chewing the fat thread.

I agree w abcd that it’s a little beyond benzo w/d and into dissatisfaction with life issues.

I’ve urged you to try an AD (again) slowly and with an exit plan. You may gain some perspective on yourself and your situation.

You seem like a good person with a lot going for you. Imo you have all the power you need within you to overcome this and I think you eventually will. You don’t have to be stuck but you may have to do a lot more work in earnest to borrow abcd’s word. It’s ultimately up to you to get out of it.

I'm starting to really worry that the depression and fear and intrusive thoughts and anger are just a part of me now at 17 months off benzos. I quit c/t after being kindled many times. Last summer, when I was 5 months off, I actually had hope and thought I would be better by now. I thought being off the medication would turn my life around. It hasn't. The medication allowed me to work for years when I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I'm worried that I'm not going to get better and that I may just need medication for depression/anxiety. I am wondering if the anti-medication stance that most people have on these forums and Facebook groups is good for people or not who are suffering mostly mental symptoms, espeically after waiting so long. One woman on a Facebook group said she would rather kill herself than take medication again. I asked her if she had tried any antidepressants after benzo withdrawal and she said no, she hadn't. She would prefer an assisted suicide over trying anything. I mean shouldn't she be encouraged to try something if she is considering that. She has been off for two years now. I'm just wondering if steering people away from all meds is really a good idea.

17 months is still early days in benzo withdrawal.  I think most of us have simply become much better informed, if we had been informed before we probably would not have taken benzos.  The example of the woman saying she would rather kill herself is terribly dramatic and her reasons would really need to be fully explored to understand why she feels like this.  I have been on both benzos and antidepressants and am damaged by both so why would I risk taking them again?  I will never ever touch any more drugs which affect my brain and this is a very reasonable decision to come to.  If others wish to take psychotropic drugs it is entirely their choice.

Whoops, I think you forgot about clinical depression or maybe you aren't familiar with it.  Huge number of sufferers.

Whoops, I think you forgot about clinical depression or maybe you aren't familiar with it.  Huge number of sufferers.

i've been dx'd w/clinical depression, cyclic depression, manic depression/bipolar, seasonal affective disorder SAD depression, you name it.

i agree with Floridaguy's message though...

it has taken me decades to get to this point, but now that i'm here, i can see that my depression (yes it's real) is the result of long term unresolved feelings of sadness, despair, fear, confusion, feeling betrayed and abandoned, and anger...mostly because of how my "uprbringing" was. lots of abuse.

but yeah, the depression is real, that's not the question. the issue was whether drugs are the answer to curing depression. the answer is no they are not.

they only anesthetize the feelings. they don't cure the condition because the condition of depression  is not a disease like diabetes or asthma is .

depression is a state of mind, and that state of mind causes the body to start breaking down if it goes on long enough.

people (myself included) hate feeling pain, and sadness, and all the things that you encounter in drawn out depression, so they (i/we) look for something to relieve it...

and we've been sold the lie that drugs will cure the depression.

they lied and said we are "chemically imbalanced". that way they could sell us a cure!

look it up, do your homework, don't take my or anyone elses' word for it, find out yourself!

research the beginnings of psychiatry.

learn the history of how the DSM 1,2,3,4 and now DSM 5 came about.

find out how the makers or drugs collaborated with dr's so they could label people with normal thoughts and emotions with illnesses.

seek the truth and you will find it.

look it up, do your homework, don't take my or anyone elses' word for it, find out yourself!

find out how the makers or drugs collaborated with dr's so they could label people with normal thoughts and emotions with illnesses.

It is absolutely imperative that anyone who is thinking about taking a prescription drug (ESPECIALLY psych drugs) to fully understand how the system works. Most of us know that informed consent is in short supply with doctors. Even if you are lucky enough to have a doctor shoot you straight regarding a certain drug it is highly unlikely that any of them are going to tell you how the whole machine operates. Most of them probably don't even really know. That's the only way you will ever truly be able to make informed decisions.

i've been dx'd w/clinical depression, cyclic depression, manic depression/bipolar, seasonal affective disorder SAD depression, you name it.

it has taken me decades to get to this point, but now that i'm here, i can see that my depression (yes it's real) is the result of long term unresolved feelings of sadness, despair, fear, confusion, feeling betrayed and abandoned, and anger...mostly because of how my "uprbringing" was. lots of abuse.

but yeah, the depression is real, that's not the question. the issue was whether drugs are the answer to curing depression. the answer is no they are not.

they only anesthetize the feelings. they don't cure the condition because the condition of depression  is not a disease like diabetes or asthma is .

depression is a state of mind, and that state of mind causes the body to start breaking down if it goes on long enough.

people (myself included) hate feeling pain, and sadness, and all the things that you encounter in drawn out depression, so they (i/we) look for something to relieve it...

they lied and said we are "chemically imbalanced". that way they could sell us a cure!

Hello,

Many is us have been harmed by medical professionals who did not have our best interests at heart, myself included. While it is fine to discuss your personal experiences with medicine, doctors and other medical professionals, it is against forum policy to denigrate the entire professions. Please read this policy stated in our rules and guidelines.

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down or mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry propaganda. Nor should you, unless you are posting a recommendation, name those involved in your healthcare. For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments notice.

Thanks in advance for adhering to forum policies.

pianogirl

I hate drugs from the bottom of my soul but that’s like saying you made some bad choices and now you have diabetes or hypothyroidism etc. What do you do? Suffer unimaginably and don’t take the medication? Isn’t that suffering further damaging your brain. Isn’t the depression becoming worse because you can’t move on with life? Aren’t the people around you suffering as well?

The Greek, I am wondering if suffering this long is actually causing more brain damage than taking other meds that would have the potential to be helpful. The depression and anger and insomnia are slowly ruining my marriage and my relationship with my daughter. My wife shouldn't have to suffer like this forever. Nor should I.

The other problem for me is I have to start a new job at the end of the week. My sleep has gone to hell again because we moved and I have to start the new job.

Hello,

Many is us have been harmed by medical professionals who did not have our best interests at heart, myself included. While it is fine to discuss your personal experiences with medicine, doctors and other medical professionals, it is against forum policy to denigrate the entire professions. Please read this policy stated in our rules and guidelines.

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down or mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry propaganda. Nor should you, unless you are posting a recommendation, name those involved in your healthcare. For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments notice.

Thanks in advance for adhering to forum policies.

pianogirl

pianogirl,

to be clear, without any confusion or misunderstandings on this poilicy issue you posted right above, could you please highlight the portion or sentence of my post that is breaking the rules?

i re-read my comments to see if i had violated the rules.  all i see written by me is:

the experience that i had as described by myself,

my opinion that my depression is caused by unresolved unexpressed feelings,

that the depression condition is real and causes the body to break down, 

that people reach for pills as the way to ease the pain,

that we have been lied to about the cause and cure for this depression,

that we have been sold the pills as a cure when they are not,

and to look up the facts/research it yourself, to find out the history facts yourself, and

to research how drug makers collaborated with dr's to develop labels for the DSM to label people. 

i was to the point but did not say  "all doctors or psychiatrists are bad" or  "all drugs are bad" or "spread propaganda". i stated my experience and then encouraged the reader to not take my word for anything but instead to research for the facts for themselves.

I also re-read your post a couple of times, Nomore, and couldn't spot the rule violation.  Was thinking perhaps someone accidentally reported the wrong post.

These particular statements are all-encompassing (i.e. ‘they lied’ and ‘the answer is no they are not’) and are your opinions. You are free to post your opinions but need to state them as such.

These particular statements are all-encompassing (i.e. ‘they lied’ and ‘the answer is no they are not’) and are your opinions. You are free to post your opinions but need to state them as such.

i don't have to state these are my opionions, yet i have anyways in my post to pianogirl.  also "they lied" is not the same as  "all doctors have lied" or "all psychiatrists have lied" because i purposely left the wording as "they lied" , "they" in this context being interpretive and vague enough so as not to violate the rules while still making my point clear. "the lied" referring to "the people who lied". this is within BB guidelines. i am allowed to express my opinions and self experiences as long as not telling others what they should do in a "prescriptive" way.

as to the opinions vs facts issue:

1. "drugs do not cure depression." this is a fact. perhaps drugs may treat some symptoms of depression but they do not cure it.

2. "drugs anesthetize feelings."  this is a fact. look at the pharmacological action of psychoactive drugs for the long explanation.

3. "...that state of mind (depression) causes the body to start breaking down if it goes on long enough."  this is a fact. this entire forum is full of case histories.

4. "we've been sold the lie that drugs will cure the depression." this is a fact.

5. "they lied and said we are "chemically imbalanced". that way they could sell us a cure!" this is a fact. the DSM was written by people, who i call "they", who invented the incorrect theory of "chemical imbalance" to justify their selling drugs as a cure. this has been exposed for some time now.

while i do appreciate the role that Admins/Mods do here at BB, and do appreciate being let know when anything i say is not within the rules, being told that facts are merely my "opinions" and that i need to state that everything is merely my "opinion" is trite.

i don't have to state these are my opionions, yet i have anyways in my post to pianogirl.  also "they lied" is not the same as  "all doctors have lied" or "all psychiatrists have lied" because i purposely left the wording as "they lied" , "they" in this context being interpretive and vague enough so as not to violate the rules while still making my point clear. "the lied" referring to "the people who lied". this is within BB guidelines. i am allowed to express my opinions and self experiences as long as not telling others what they should do in a "prescriptive" way.

1. "drugs do not cure depression." this is a fact. perhaps drugs may treat some symptoms of depression but they do not cure it.

2. "drugs anesthetize feelings."  this is a fact. look at the pharmacological action of psychoactive drugs for the long explanation.

3. "...that state of mind (depression) causes the body to start breaking down if it goes on long enough."  this is a fact. this entire forum is full of case histories.

4. "we've been sold the lie that drugs will cure the depression." this is a fact.

5. "they lied and said we are "chemically imbalanced". that way they could sell us a cure!" this is a fact. the DSM was written by people, who i call "they", who invented the incorrect theory of "chemical imbalance" to justify their selling drugs as a cure. this has been exposed for some time now.

while i do appreciate the role that Admins/Mods do here at BB, and do appreciate being let know when anything i say is not within the rules, being told that facts are merely my "opinions" and that i need to state that everything is merely my "opinion" is trite.

These are your facts.  While some of what you say might be true,  if you make a supposition that we've been told 'lies', that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance etc. you need to back these statement up with studies.  These studies need to be done by well known organizations, not one person who simply states his or her 'opinion'. If you know of case histories, then you need to post them.  Otherwise your statements come across as an opinion and should be stated as such.

pianogirl

These are your facts.  While some of what you say might be true,  if you make a supposition that we've been told 'lies', that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance etc. you need to back these statement up with studies.  These studies need to be done by well known organizations, not one person who simply states his or her 'opinion'. If you know of case histories, then you need to post them.  Otherwise your statements come across as an opinion and should be stated as such.

pianogirl

There is a difference between being anti-meds and being pro informed consent or extremely cautious of them.

pianogirl,

i am not going to do all the foot work. i can point people in the right direction, as i have with the parts in red, bolded above by me, in both mine and Floridaguy's posts,  but i'm not here to publish a book on nor spend that much time digging up every study, case history and scientific or medical journal on all of these things.  this took me a long time to learn by reading through hundreds of posts on BB and many more on other forums and googling and reading medical and scientific articles and journals and watching videos and documentaries on my own. and that is how i reccomend that anyone looking for a good understanding of how the psychiatric genre began, how the DMV came about, what the relationship between the big pharma companies and dr's and clinicians is, what the conflicts of interest are, where things are good and where they need improvement, and the multitude of topics all included in this go about finding out. i gave some great points as did Floridaguy on what to look into. it's not my responsibility to teach the reader what i have already learned. i offered some places to start, to google, to begin finding out for their own self.