How many attempts before you were successful?

[El...]

I hope this is okay to post here.  I posted in another thread but didn't get many responses as I don't think many of people who are successful are reading it.

I am just curious how many times it took you before you were successful at weaning off your benzo?

If it took more than once, is their anything that you did in your final successful attempt that made a difference in allowing you to be successful?

I have just failed my second attempt and am looking for positive encouragement, stories, words of advice etc. from those on the other side.

Thanks.  :)

Ellyn,

Im not a professional medical person but if I had to do it again I would use a micro taper......I did a cut and hold and was pretty symptomatic.  In all the stories I have read the majority seemed to prefer the micro taper method....Hope this helps a little,

Alan

I hope this is okay to post here.  I posted in another thread but didn't get many responses as I don't think many of people who are successful are reading it.

I am just curious how many times it took you before you were successful at weaning off your benzo?

If it took more than once, is their anything that you did in your final successful attempt that made a difference in allowing you to be successful?

I have just failed my second attempt and am looking for positive encouragement, stories, words of advice etc. from those on the other side.

Thanks.  :)

Thank you Guzzirider.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised more people do not share their experience on this topic.

I was a long-time drug user and am now a recovered alcoholic and addict. It took me 5 years and 15+ attempts to finally sober up. I had to hit a bottom that was sooo low that I would do whatever it took to stay sober and change my life.

With benzo's, it is even more complicated. It is prescribed and not frowned upon. It is the most addictive and dangerous drug ever known considering the debilitating withdrawal effects and life-threating consequences.

It takes an immense amount of will power and dedication to stick to a taper plan. The kind of will power that is fueled by an urgency to get off this drug because we know that it is making our lives worse and the long term effects will destroy us and our family's.

The real kicker is that between the drug and our own depression/anxiety we say fuck it and give up because 'why even try' 'I can't live like this' 'I rather die than experience this withdrawal' and many more thoughts that go through our heads when we are faced with the hell that is withdrawal.

So with all that said and to answer your question. I am on my 10th maybe 15th attempt at tapering. This is the furthest I have ever made it and I hope it is the last. I am not on any other drugs and I am a pretty functional person.

I think that my biggest obstacle was to trust the process and know... REALLY KNOW that it is worth it. That I will heal and I will come out a better person. I will look back on the few years it took and I will not regret my battle with benzos. It will be a part of my story and I will be an advocate. I may save a lot of other souls from going through the same issues. I probably already have when friends and family have seen what I have had to endure. Today I suffer so others will not have too. I'd say that is a pretty noble cause.

More than three y times as before my signature info I took bromazepam for sleep on and off since my thirties. Interesting question.

Definitely don't go cold Turkey.  I tried to get off but ended up reinstating and tapering off slowly mixing with whole milk. It took 11 months was not painless but I had gotten to the point I was getting off the Klonopin no matter what and giving myself a chance at life. It took another 18 months after that to feel somewhat back to normal, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. It's not easy, but most things worthwhile aren't. Good luck!

B strong

It took me two times to stop. When I started up again with the benzo’s I knew it was a bad idea and I wish I would’ve never took another benzo I’ve been in benzo  for 16 months It’s been up-and-down and around I’m slowly getting better.

Hi there!

This is my second attempt at tapering Valium.

My first attempt to jump off Valium was an absolute disaster.

I rapid tapered from 7.5mg to 2.5mg in a day.

I felt like death, and reinstated to 5mg for 2 weeks.

I then went down to 2.5mg for another 2 weeks.

Then I jumped off. F**king ouch!

11 days passed since the jump, and I had the ugliest, most brutal chemically-induced panic attack imaginable. Far out, it was bad. Could not move. My legs buckled from under me.

I tried Paxil SSRI to help me wean off Valium. Epic fail. CT that after 2 days. Success!  :thumbsup:

I reinstated to 5mg Valium and held there for 4 weeks.

Now I'm doing monthly holds, and it's going a lot better.

Down to 4.75mg a day.

Now I'm semi-functional. Get some "windows", but a hell of a lot of "waves" too.

Kale juice is what I use to bring me out of a bad "wave".

Dave.  8)