Morning Anxiety And Early Wake Up

[Se...]

I’ve read several posts on this topic.  Morning anxiety is absolutely horrendous.  I’ve had my cortisol level checked. It’s normal. I have hypothyroidism. I went off levothyroxine over the winter to see if that was contributing to my symptoms. Nothing changed except my thyroid levels went up so I’ve been back on the medication for months. Number has improved but still a bit elevated at last check.

Between 4:00 and 4:30 a.m, I’m startled awake, my heart races, paresthesia kicks in, nausea develops and NOTHING I do mentally calms the feeling.  I can’t stay in bed too long.  I’m antsy.  I meditate as soon as I get up trying to ease symptoms.  It helps a fraction.  I do breathing exercises.  I walk about a mile every morning...part of “exposure therapy”. I don’t work but manage my household chores with effort.

I’m ridiculously anxious in the morning despite controlled, regular dosing and tapering. Right now I’m holding the alprazolam taper at 0.5mg trying to stabilize.  I’ve switched to DLMT on clonazepam but haven’t reduced the dose yet as I try to stabilize. 

I’ve suffered with this daily along with nausea, paresthesia, tinnitus, agoraphobia and insomnia since my taper began almost a year ago...probably before the taper began.  The anxiety eventually eases up slightly after being up for a few hours, but the other symptoms remain. I’ve tapered off Celexa but take mirtazapine which gives limited relief of insomnia and anxiety.  I’m considering upping the dose since I’m taking half of what I’m prescribed.  Maybe that will help? 

I’ve tried every prescription nausea medication, over the counter remedies, and herbal teas.  Nothing eases the nausea but I usually get a banging headache with the prescription meds.

I’m carb intolerant, I have high blood glucose issues (diabetic testing was normal), agoraphobic, cannot gain weight (have lost 50 pounds), food sensitivities (to the point I eat the EXACT same meals every day...healthy, low glycemic index, lower carb, fruits, veggies and protein), I stopped eating gluten (supposed to be bad for thyroid), zero caffeine, zero added sugar, zero alcohol, I don’t smoke and drink plenty of water.  Pulse rate and blood pressure are “normal” despite heightened anxiety and other symptoms.

I’ve dropped a considerable amount of alprazolam...from 4mg/day to 0.5mg/day.  Clonazepam was added trying to crossover from alprazolam but was unsuccessful.  That’s why I’m on two benzos.  I decreased clonazepam dose from 1mg/day back in January. Current dose is .86mg/day.

By early evening, I start to feel somewhat better.  Later on, I climb into bed dreading what awaits in the morning.  Every morning.

Is this the way it is until I’m off benzos? I can’t take much more.

I feel my worst sx in tge morning.  Shaky confused cant relax. I have to get up take a shower and go out. Then somehow sx  lesson. The morning horrible. I am so sorry you feel so bad. Tge maybe someone will chime in i am no expert on dosing. But maybe you need to be stabalized on 1 benzo. Not your fault the drs dont have a clue. Your going to be ok.

It is pretty common to have the early morning anxiety and sleep problems. It seems for a lot us, we feel better at night. In my experience, that is what happens. Just know that you are not alone. I would stay on the mirtazapine as long as it is helping. I used that many years back and it did help. I will probably use it once I get low in my taper. I used a very low dose and got good results with sleep and anxiety.

I’m definitely staying on mirtazapine.  I think I’ll up the dose to what's prescribed. Mirtazapine is funny though...the lower the dose, better sedation/sleep but a higher dose is better for anxiety/depression.  I’m not necessarily “depressed” but I’m sad because I feel like crap every day. 

Thanks for your reply!

💜

I feel my worst sx in tge morning.  Shaky confused cant relax. I have to get up take a shower and go out. Then somehow sx  lesson. The morning horrible. I am so sorry you feel so bad. Tge maybe someone will chime in i am no expert on dosing. But maybe you need to be stabalized on 1 benzo. Not your fault the drs dont have a clue. Your going to be ok.

Thanks for your response!  I’m trying to stabilize on what I’m on right now.  I don’t want to try another crossover. 

Hopefully holding the alprazolam taper will settle me down.  I’m hoping to taper off clonazepam then get back to alprazolam taper.

💜

I started taking Phosphatidylserine ...with Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon Oil capsule in the morning with NAC, Acetyl Carnitine, L Carnitine and Alpha Lipioc Acid with Probiotics and the PS blocks the Cortisol which is what is making you hyper in the early morning.  It does help a little.  However, the PS takes a month or more to kick in, so be patient with it.  I only take one a day.  I would not take more than that.  It really helps me.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Hope!  I’ll look into it.  I’m just afraid to add anything since nausea is so bad every day. 

I appreciate the info!

💜

Thanks for the link Hope! It’s an interesting read.  My only problem is I’m afraid adding supplements may increase my already persistent nausea.  I’m researching side effects.  Some indicate stomach upset.  That’s the last I need right now but that’s indicated at higher doses.  I may give it a try. 

Thanks again.

💜

I am only taking 600 mg.  No nausea whatsoever.  Been on this for months.  Really helps.  I only take one capsule a day.

Try what I did at first, finger dab a dab a day...........for a month.  See how you react.  It's the only way I've been able to try things I thought might help me.  I did that with every thing I have tried since I am ultra sensitive to most things. 

Dear Septgirl,

You do not know me.  I am Ramcon1.  I have a bit of a reputation.  I am not a doctor.  I am an MIT engineer who has studied the heck out of neurology for the past 4 years.  I know a lot, and try to share useful knowledge. I spend most of my time on the protracted bioard.  I stupidly reinstated 3 years ago during a brutal wave 3 1/2 years "clean."  Don't let that scare you.  I had multiple withdrawals, drank alcohol, smoked cigs, did everything wrong.  You will be fine in a year at most, as 95% are.

As for morning anxiety, even though you "tested normal" for cortisol, there are two things you need to know.  First, your cortisol literally changes dramatically by the minute with various reactions that happen in your body, so any test that tells you your level is normal is BS.  Second, cortisol is highest in eth morning in healthy people, it is one of the reasons we wake up.  But in your state, you feel the same amount much more intensely than an otherwise healthy person.

As per benzobuddies policy, I cannot "prescribe" anything.  I can tell you what works for me and others.

Phosphatidylserine (PS)is a natural lipid that if you take 100-600 mg at night before bed, you will not wake up to cortisol.  Here is the hidden fact, almost all PS supplements contain Medium Triglyceride (MCT) oil.  In an otherwise healthy person, it either makes them focus a bit better or at worst makes them a bit edgy.  YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE A PS SUPPLEMENT WITH MCT!  It will probably rev you up quite a bit.

I have found only one brand that works, Bioclinic.

https://www.amazon.com/Bioclinic-Naturals-Phosphatidylserine-100Mg-Gels/dp/B01AVJFRRU

I take 400 mg, and my wife who is menopausal which BTW has a lot in common with benzo wd because progesterone is a calming hormone that drops dramatically during and after menopause.

We both stopped waking to anxiety.

I hope that helps you.

Ramcon1

Your personal neuroscientist reminding you to hang in there, and if you are going thru hell, keep going!

ramcon1:

Thanks for your input.  I’m not sure want to try a product from Amazon that has zero reviews. 

Thanks.

SeptGirl,

Fear not.

It is only sold "legitimately" through healthcare providers at this website:

https://www.emersonecologics.com/products/detail/11325/item/BC9273

It is not "legitimate" on Amazon.  It does not have any reviews, because random 3rd party vendors by a bunch, then resell it, then disappear.

When my healthcare provider's supplier ran out, I bought it from Amazon and there was no difference.

Ramcon1

Your personal neuroscientist, reminding you to hang in there, and when you are going thru hell, keep going!

I take Phosphatidylserine 100 mg only a day and it has helped me in the morning tremendously.  But if I take more than 100, I get Hyper.......and cannot sleep at all.  I also take the Olympic Lab brand that is made only with Sun Flower Lecithin because I am allergic to SOY and I take it along  with Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil together on empty stomach in the morning.  IT really helps me.  I also take a teaspoon of MCT Oil in my green and Holy Basil Tea in the morning as well.  I do NOT get revved up.  So I guess it depends on the person.  I've been doing this for over a year now.  It is working for me, especially in the morning.  I also take NAC with it and it also helps a lot.  It's odd how we all react differently to different supplements. 

Appreciate Ramcon1's post........good info.

Hope...thanks for all the information!  Absolutely not doing soy as I have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto’s.  Sunflower is a great alternative. I’m definitely thinking of trying it.  I’ll know soon enough if it causes nausea. One thing I DON’T need is to get hyper!! :D I need to calm myself down especially with early morning wake up and anxiety. 

Do you feel it helps with your sleep?  Do you feel anxious in the morning?  You take it in the morning; I’ve read conflicting information with dosing/timing. Have you ever taken it at bedtime?

I appreciate your help and input! 

💜

Septgirl,

I looked at "Healthy Origins Sunflower PS Sharp"

https://healthyorigins.com/products/ps-phosphatidylserine-100mg

Looks great.  No MCT, and also from sunflower not soy which is a plus, and it is less expensive.  I am going to buy that when I run out.  Good find.  I take 400.  My wife takes 200.  I would bet somewhere you will find a dose that has you waking anxiety free.

Hopefor,

That is really odd about PS without MCT revving you up, and you CAN take MCT.  It is not that I do not believe you.  There are paradoxical reactions to anything in anyone.  I personally get revved by magnesium, no matter what kind.  And there are even 1 in a million people who get revved by benzos. So anything is possible. But I would ask, are you sure? Have you tried taking 200 mg or more with no other variables?

Ramcon1

Your personal neuroscientist reminding you to hang in there, and when you are going thru hell, keep going!

I also have morning anxiety.

What is phosphatidylserine ? What is it made from and is it safe ? I've never heard of it and not sure if I should

try taking it ???  Anyone please help me know something about this product.

Thanks

Dear Septgirl,

You do not know me.  I am Ramcon1.  I have a bit of a reputation.  I am not a doctor.  I am an MIT engineer who has studied the heck out of neurology for the past 4 years.  I know a lot, and try to share useful knowledge. I spend most of my time on the protracted bioard.  I stupidly reinstated 3 years ago during a brutal wave 3 1/2 years "clean."  Don't let that scare you.  I had multiple withdrawals, drank alcohol, smoked cigs, did everything wrong.  You will be fine in a year at most, as 95% are.

As for morning anxiety, even though you "tested normal" for cortisol, there are two things you need to know.  First, your cortisol literally changes dramatically by the minute with various reactions that happen in your body, so any test that tells you your level is normal is BS.  Second, cortisol is highest in eth morning in healthy people, it is one of the reasons we wake up.  But in your state, you feel the same amount much more intensely than an otherwise healthy person.

As per benzobuddies policy, I cannot "prescribe" anything.  I can tell you what works for me and others.

Phosphatidylserine (PS)is a natural lipid that if you take 100-600 mg at night before bed, you will not wake up to cortisol.  Here is the hidden fact, almost all PS supplements contain Medium Triglyceride (MCT) oil.  In an otherwise healthy person, it either makes them focus a bit better or at worst makes them a bit edgy.  YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE A PS SUPPLEMENT WITH MCT!  It will probably rev you up quite a bit.

I have found only one brand that works, Bioclinic.

https://www.amazon.com/Bioclinic-Naturals-Phosphatidylserine-100Mg-Gels/dp/B01AVJFRRU

I take 400 mg, and my wife who is menopausal which BTW has a lot in common with benzo wd because progesterone is a calming hormone that drops dramatically during and after menopause.

We both stopped waking to anxiety.

I hope that helps you.

Ramcon1

Your personal neuroscientist reminding you to hang in there, and if you are going thru hell, keep going!

Hi Ramcon1,

What is the reasoning that mct oil rvs up cortisol? please explain?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Ramcon 1, you had to reinstate Valium due to quitting cigarettes?? I'm really craving cigarettes since I started having bad wd sxs, but I think I'll stay away after reading what you've gone through.

SeptGirl,,

So odd that different things have the effect of revving us up.  I know I tried Ashwagandha and ended up in ER with BP skyrocketing.  And I read it helps others.  So odd. 

First thing i want to say is that since our bodies are so individual, you'll have to listen to your body when you try anything new.  With that said, I only take 100 mg of PS Sharp Phosphatidylserine with WILD Caught Alaskan Salmon Oil on empty stomach in the morning along with NAC and Dribose.  YES, it takes the morning shakes down.  Some days more than others ...however, it also heals the brain and NERVES, which is what we need so much during our taper.  I do not get nauseated from any of it.  And NO, it does NOT help you sleep but in the morning it calms you enough that you could sleep.  Some days it's stronger than other days with the calming, I don't know why.  Perhaps it is affected by my taper moving ahead.  Either way, it makes me feel better as the day progresses.  I would not dare take it at night, it stole my sleep when I did and I have read you cannot take it at night, it has done this to others.  BUT again, it doesn't bother the other guy.  So, it's like we have to experiment and find out I guess.  But since I'm not getting at least 6 hours, I dare not even try it.  That's my own choice during this taper.  But at the very Least, PS, Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and Dribose and NAC does HEAL THE BODY and BRAIN and that in and of itself gives me peace of mind during my taper.

No, MCT does not rev me up.  I only use one (1) teaspoon in my tea.  I drink Green Tea along with Holy Basil Tea in the mornings and that is also calming and HEALING to the Body as well. 

I wake up in the am early, shaking, I cannot wait to get to the kitchen to get those Aminos and go back to bed and rest ......and most mornings it calms me after about an hour and I fall asleep.  It's a Godsend truly. 

I hope this helps.  I appreciate the  Ramcon1's info.  Good stuff.  I would suggest that before you take anything or any person's suggestions, that you FIRST and FOREMOST, pull these supplements up online and do RESEARCH about what they do and how they work.  That's what I did.  I never take anyone's advice without investigating and researching all of it before I even dare try anything.  That is my best advice. 

Kimmie :)

Thanks Hope...I’ve done research on it since you posted it.  I’m going to try PS100 to begin with. If that doesn’t cause added symptoms, I’ll add another supplement if I feel I need it.  I appreciate all of your help and honesty.  It’s good to have differing thoughts on recovery and things that may or may not help. 

💜