Dayton shooter was taking Xanax, other drugs

[be...]

These types of discussions scare me, and that's probably a good thing. I feel so much anger at everyone I see at 17 months off Klonopin. I just don't feel like myself and it's uncharacteristic of me. The worst is that I feel angry when I'm home with my family and scared of how I'm feeling all the time. But what's strange about my symptoms is I went from severe depression, needing to be around people constantly, to severe anger and not wanting to be around people. 

Following.  I agree with Trump.  Guns don't kill people, people do.  Psyche meds alter the brain chemistry and when you do that, it takes a person out of balance and "out of touch," with themselves, IMO.

"No proof prescription drugs fuel mass shootings"

By John Kruzel on Monday, August 5th, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/aug/05/no-proof-prescription-drugs-fuel-mass-shootings/

"Psychiatric drugs are a common culprit as people search for answers following horrific violence. But experts say there is no credible research linking medications to mass shootings.

The unproven claim has different variants, but they share an assertion that the common thread among mass shooters is that the assailants were on psychotropic drugs, medication that is capable of affecting the mind or emotion.

One widely shared Facebook meme featured photos of some of the most notorious killers in recent memory, including the Charleston shooter Dylann Roof and Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza, along with a caption that reads: "All of these mass shooters were on psychotropic drugs but I don’t hear anyone calling for stronger prescription control."

We reached out to two experts who have studied the relationship between mass shootings and mental illness. They told us the claim has no scientific basis.

"I’m not aware of any evidence that has demonstrated a credible connection — causal or otherwise — between psychiatric medication and mass violence," said Grant Duwe, research director for the Minnesota Department of Corrections. Duwe has authored a history of mass murder in the United States.

Michael Rocque, a professor at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, added that one of the Facebook posts — which blames benzodiazepines for the July 28 shooting in Gilroy, Calif., at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival — is particularly at odds with the evidence. Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs that has a tranquilizing effect. 

"In fact there is some work showing benzodiazepines decreases violence," Rocque said."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Duwe

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4hU2OG8AAAAJ

There are a ton of things that haven't been proven and many of them never will be proven. They can't do a double blind controlled study to see if anyone turns into a murderer. It can never be proven so we shouldn't pay attention to the fact that pretty much all of them are being drugged with psychoactive chemicals, some of which are known to cause rage, agitation, akathesia and suicidal or homicidal thoughts?

Yep. nothing to see here. Move along people.......

Following.  I agree with Trump.  Guns don't kill people, people do.  Psyche meds alter the brain chemistry and when you do that, it takes a person out of balance and "out of touch," with themselves, IMO.

Becky

Most mass shooters were not on psyh drugs. We need to get rid of combat type weapons. Our country is number one in killings. The NRA is a powerful lobby. It’s just ridiculous.

Why didn't we have all these mass shootings back in the 70's, 80's and even in the 90's and early 2000's?  Why all of a sudden in the past few years has it escalated?  It's not the guns that kill people, it's people that kill people.  Alot more sick people in rages on the earth now I suppose.  I support the NRA completely.  If it weren't for them, our entire society would be completely disarmed by now with no defense.

Why didn't we have all these mass shootings back in the 70's, 80's and even in the 90's and early 2000's?  Why all of a sudden in the past few years has it escalated?  It's not the guns that kill people, it's people that kill people.  Alot more sick people in rages on the earth now I suppose.  I support the NRA completely.  If it weren't for them, our entire society would be completely disarmed by now with no defense.

Because certain politicians spew racism every day. I hate the NRA so we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Same here. It makes me question whether I should move to another country. I no longer recognize ours.

The thing is that there is no other place. No better place. People are essentially good. The news makes us think otherwise. Jmo.

Same here. It makes me question whether I should move to another country. I no longer recognize ours.

The thing is that there is no other place. No better place. People are essentially good. The news makes us think otherwise. Jmo.

I think that probably this is true that there is no better place. I wish that I could say the same about the way I feel about people’s hearts, but I think I understand. I would agree that the news is a poor reflection and that there is a lot more faith, hope and love than it reflects.

“Amanpour & Company” is the only news I can watch because of that.

Becky

Most mass shooters were not on psyh drugs. We need to get rid of combat type weapons. Our country is number one in killings. The NRA is a powerful lobby. It’s just ridiculous.

I agree with benzogirl.

I am sorry, but Trump is awful. What a curse he is. He fakely supports Israel, I don't feel he is genuine about anything and I feel he is a psychopath and so are most of the people around him... psychopaths or sociopaths. Somewhere firmly planted on the NPD spectrum.

Not to mention how he treats Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and all kinds of races other than white. How he treats immigrants and women... not that we are supposed to talk politics at all. I don't even think it's politics, I think it's so bad that it's beyond anything political. A threat to all humankind, more like.

I don't know anyone who wants to completely take away our right to bear arms. No one is ever saying this... no matter how far left they are. I don't understand all this ridiculous right-wing, neo-con B.S.

I guess I'd be in the Green Party or something like this. Probably Independent. I hope Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders or someone like this makes it in. Kamala Harris. I don't even know. I can't even watch. Can't watch any of this. Only nature shows.

I'm on here way too much.

Trump should realize Mexicans and First Nations lived here first. And so should the entire Midwest. Then maybe we could all live more peaceably together, and have a better border system that was humane and fair and safe for both citizens and non-citizens. I don’t know how, but what has happened is so wrong.

Who on earth has tea parties with dictators and rallies the way he does. No US President ever. Not my president. I feel sick in my body whenever I hear his voice or see his face. And I never talk about politics or complain about this, but wow it feels good to say.

I also believe that I remember hearing so often that psyche meds are involved, I didn’t make a complete answer here. Just want Trump out of office.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4471985/

"Psychotropic drugs and homicide: A prospective cohort study from Finland

The analysis based on case-control design showed an adjusted OR of 1.30 (95% CI: 0.97-1.75) as the risk of homicide for the current use of an antidepressant, 2.52 (95% CI: 1.90-3.35) for benzodiazepines, 0.62 (95% CI: 0.41-0.93) for antipsychotics, and 2.16 (95% CI: 1.41-3.30) for opioid analgesics.

The results of this prospective study show that antidepressant use per se was associated with an only modestly increased risk of committing a homicide, with borderline statistical significance. Benzodiazepine and analgesic use was linked with a higher risk of homicidal offending, and the findings remained highly significant even after correction for multiple comparisons."

This is far from the only study connecting benzos with violence. Remember that benzos cause a similar disinhibition to alcohol, and no one has difficulty drawing a causal link between alcohol and increasing levels of violence.

Why not ban combat weapons/assault rifles? Why does anyone besides the military need them? If some psycho decides to go on a shooting rampage, the death count would be much less if he does not have one of these.

Yeah, this guy was taking Xanax and “other drugs.” So the others drugs were cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, LSD, and for all I know others.

Pick up a newspaper, read online anywhere you want and you can find this. He did lie on his forms to get those guns. That’s true. No other criminal  history though.

And he watched violent video games and played them with friends. Talked for years of mass shootings with friends.

Choked a girl he was dating in high school. Just seemed to love violence. My conclusion there.

And I’m prejudiced myself. My hubby is a Mexican who is 1/4 Navajo Indian. And a former gang member from Los Angeles. An “old G” as the Mexicans say. But not today. Gave that up on purpose when he was 17 as he saw too much for his stomach. Rarely used MJ, and never cocaine, alcohol or anything else.

How do I know this? I met him when he was 16 is how. This man has never watched a violent video in his life. Oh he’s he’s a big man of 6 ft 2 inches, and can be annoying as all get out to me at times, but has never shot a gun in his life. Worked for the railroad for years and that’s a rough job. He has no criminal history himself. Just a decent fellow who cares about me, our grandchildren and our adult kids. And their families. Never taken a benzo in his life either.

So speaking for myself, I think this whole mess goes beyond politics as others have said. It is a threat to all life on this earth.

It’s gonna take more than a study of a correlation of violence and Benzos to convince me otherwise.

Since this isn’t “the only study,” let’s see the other ones for the “hell” of it.

edit: disallowed content removed

Intend,

Over the years we've tried several times to have reasonable discussions around the topic of politics.  The political environment is the USA and even throughout the world is volatile and that same volatility ran rampant on any thread that speaks about politics.  Since then and because we are not a political forum, it is not our mission, we are not allowing political discussions on the forum.  Thank you for understanding.

pianogirl

I just removed my posts. This thread got very political way before I posted. And yet I’m the one that’s gets “pin pointed “ for that.

So although my big “offensive “ posts live in infamy by Piano Girls quote of my last post and her reprimand of me, my offensive posts are gone.

This teaches the lesson I’ve always known, and that is “do be wary/hesitant to post in this area of the forum. I definitely believe that because it seems a “clique” can do it, but “others” just cannot.

Wish the US was not like this, but it IS.

BB has always frowned on political or religious stuff. It makes sense to me, because a forum for benzos is NOT the place to yak about politics or religion. This forum is dedicated to helping each other get off and stay off benzos. Period.

east

BB has always frowned on political or religious stuff. It makes sense to me, because a forum for benzos is NOT the place to yak about politics or religion. This forum is dedicated to helping each other get off and stay off benzos. Period.

east

Ok. I can agree with what you’ve just posted. But why can others get political while other cant?

east

Ok. I can agree with what you’ve just posted. But why can others get political while other cant?

Your post was the one pointed out to me. If there are others, please use the Report function.

Additionally, please go through the proper channels if you have concerns or questions about a moderation decision.

Thanks,

pianogirl

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=108144.0

This thread has gotten far too political. Benzo Buddies is not the place for political discussions.  As I indicated before, conversations and discussions about political subject matter simply does not work here.

There are places for this kind of discussion. Here, our focus should be on our mission, to provide support, information and encouragement for those going through benzo withdrawal. 

I'm locking this thread.

[24...]