Dayton shooter was taking Xanax, other drugs

[be...]

I research outside the mainstream, I think, and I draw logical conclusions. Simple skills that are no longer widely practised, it seems. (Oh, and I try to be polite when someone comments on my threads. But again, I guess that's just me.)

I research outside the mainstream, I think, and I draw logical conclusions. Simple skills that are no longer widely practised, it seems. (Oh, and I try to be polite when someone comments on my threads. But again, I guess that's just me.)

That was my point. I didn’t think you were polite.....

Then I apologise. It was intended as a concise comment in support of your post - on a day when I didn't have the energy to post longer, and felt very sad and angry about the situation out there. My tone was perhaps confusing...I can see that, and I apologise for it.

Would not surprise me at all if that shooter was on benzos or other bad drugs. Mind affecting drugs can and will cause some truly awful behavior.

All of this is so sad, what is happening in this country we live in. How did we go so wrong? What is causing this weird and intense anger that drives people to commit horrific crimes? Wish I knew but I don't.

east

All psychiatric medication cuts off circulation to the frontal lobes of the brain (similar to a lobotomy) - the part of the brain responsible for the ability to control our impulses....

I wonder if he was taking ADs at the time. I know when I was tapering off an AD I felt rage at different times. I realized it was just a chemical rage and didn't give into it or else my hubbie would have gotten hit over the head with a frying pan.

Becky

I wonder if he was taking ADs at the time. I know when I was tapering off an AD I felt rage at different times. I realized it was just a chemical rage and didn't give into it or else my hubbie would have gotten hit over the head with a frying pan.

Becky

Your husband should get together with mine...  ;)

All psych drugs caused me severe attacks of rage - even violence. It's the opposite of my true nature, so I started researching the links between medication and violence for that reason. These drugs are all dangerous.

Yep. Bad news. So why did my original provider poly drug me to the point of being dis functional?

I've asked myself this so many times. Mostly ignorance, probably - my original provider was kind-hearted and meant well (I was just a stressed-out kid).... They also get bombarded with fraudulent information and studies by the drug-company reps, offered huge incentives and kickbacks...and there you go.

Other answers that come to mind: bad training, intellectual laziness, only knowing how to subdue symptoms through drugging - as opposed to identifying and healing the root causes.... The current medical system is broken.

I'm sorry you went through that.

Correlation does not equal causation but almost all of these mass shooters are on psych drugs. 

Wonder how long it is going to be before we see this on the product info sheet?

Correlation does not equal causation but almost all of these mass shooters are on psych drugs. 

Ha!

Never!

"No proof prescription drugs fuel mass shootings"

By John Kruzel on Monday, August 5th, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/aug/05/no-proof-prescription-drugs-fuel-mass-shootings/

"Psychiatric drugs are a common culprit as people search for answers following horrific violence. But experts say there is no credible research linking medications to mass shootings.

The unproven claim has different variants, but they share an assertion that the common thread among mass shooters is that the assailants were on psychotropic drugs, medication that is capable of affecting the mind or emotion.

One widely shared Facebook meme featured photos of some of the most notorious killers in recent memory, including the Charleston shooter Dylann Roof and Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza, along with a caption that reads: "All of these mass shooters were on psychotropic drugs but I don’t hear anyone calling for stronger prescription control."

We reached out to two experts who have studied the relationship between mass shootings and mental illness. They told us the claim has no scientific basis.

"I’m not aware of any evidence that has demonstrated a credible connection — causal or otherwise — between psychiatric medication and mass violence," said Grant Duwe, research director for the Minnesota Department of Corrections. Duwe has authored a history of mass murder in the United States.

Michael Rocque, a professor at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, added that one of the Facebook posts — which blames benzodiazepines for the July 28 shooting in Gilroy, Calif., at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival — is particularly at odds with the evidence. Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs that has a tranquilizing effect. 

"In fact there is some work showing benzodiazepines decreases violence," Rocque said."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Duwe

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4hU2OG8AAAAJ

Yep. Bad news. So why did my original provider poly drug me to the point of being dis functional?

Because most of them do not know anything BUT prescribing more pills to someone in distress. That is the truth, and I doubt its going to change anytime soon. Something all of us have to learn is to become the Health Steward of our own health. Only YOU should decide what drug you are willing to take, and no one else can. I am a nurse and used to blindly trust doctors. NOT NOW. I choose my current physician just because he never tries to FORCE me to take any sort of drug. He gives his opinion and its up to me to decide what I will do. I really appreciate this!

east

Because most of them do not know anything BUT prescribing more pills to someone in distress. That is the truth, and I doubt its going to change anytime soon. Something all of us have to learn is to become the Health Steward of our own health. Only YOU should decide what drug you are willing to take, and no one else can. I am a nurse and used to blindly trust doctors. NOT NOW. I choose my current physician just because he never tries to FORCE me to take any sort of drug. He gives his opinion and its up to me to decide what I will do. I really appreciate this!

east

East, are you really going to jump on the band wagon of Dr. bashing here? Doctors do not force people to take medications, they make recommendations. By your own admissions in your "success" stories, you were a nurse who stole medications to feed your addictions. You state you do not trust doctors but urge people to trust you? Please, give us break ... best wishes

An interesting article which includes this statement:

"What Holmes was struggling with – mental illness, the side effects of his legally prescribed medication or a combination of the two – we may never know for sure."

To say more on the Holmes case is pure speculation. Thanks for posting that link.

[28...]