xanax user of 10 months, now on librium.

[xe...]

been using Xanax for 4 months not prescribed  and trying to get off them, I have tapered from 2 mg daily to 1.75, just wondering if its gonna be easy . haven't been on them long.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, xexenjoi.

Glad you’ve found this forum for support as you tackle the Xanax. I tapered from 2mg of Xanax about 7 years ago. The higher doses were easier to taper than the lower doses but that’s because I didn’t know how to taper.

I need to switch to my laptop to post some links for you to start posting and reading. In the meantime maybe you can let me know how long you’ve been on Xanax and I can respond to that.

Challis  :)

Okay, here’s a start for you. The first is the Ashton Manual, great information in it. The next is for helping with symptoms and the last is for asking about tapering.

Let me know if you’re having trouble figuring out how to reply or post. You can send me a message via My Messages (PM system) if you need help.

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Challis

• 5 months later...

I was self tapering the xanax for 5 months on my own and wow. With its short half life i was constantly in withdrawl everyday

Im on librium now and have been for 2 weeks and its changed my life so much. I am just ready to be done with this and never go back

I have successfully tapered from 2mg of xanax to 0.6 ( equivalent in librium)

I feel awesome and am determined to make the next step. I am not bed bound, I can drive my car, Just some muscle pains and sometimes depression. Ive been on my current dose 30 mg Librium ( equivalent to 0.6 Xanax) Can I decrease from 0.6 to 0.4 safely? basically 30 mg to 20 mg of librium

Let your symptoms be your guide, and if you're feeling this good, then going from 30 to 20 mgs might work for you.  A gradual reduction is better than cutting too much then going back up in dose.

with my use of 10 months, how long should reasonable taper be for me? I see some people tapering for a year, and I don't want it to be that long, as its already been 5 months from 2 mg to 0.9 mg before I went to the doctor and he cut me by 0.3 and switched me over to Librium.

Hi and welcome to BB!

Your impatience is totally understandable. I was on xanax for 4 months and stopped CT. After 4 days I was a total wreck. I found BB that day, thank goodness and went back on xanax to taper. I started my taper at 1 mg and it took 8 months to be off, as of 11 days ago. I went much faster at times, slowed down when sxs were bad and made myself go slower than I wanted. I divided my daily dose into 4 timed doses so on my last day I actually took .004 mg and that was divided into 4 doses so it was a drop in the ocean but I was trying to allow my poor old brain as much time as it needed to heal along the way. I've read where some people have divided xanax into 5 or 6 doses to avoid WD between doses. I did not want to change to valium for a couple of reasons so I wanted to make xanax work and did very well overall on 4 daily doses.

Good luck with your taper! You could go to the links for other meds and ask about librium. I agree that it needs to be done according to your sxs. Rushing just to have it done won't help in the long run, from all I've read. I hated mixing the taper and carrying the doses around when I went somewhere. It's a bummer. But a necessary evil to stay as functional as possible. Please keep us posted!