Xanax to Diazepam and then to taper

[fo...]

I have agreed a taper plan to withdraw from Benzo's . I have been on several different types for past 5 years, though not high doses. I have been taking 1mg Xanax daily for the past 3 months (was on Lorazepam before that). Mr Doctor has prescribed Diazepam equivalent and I have been on this for past three days. I am already getting withdrawal effects. I feel empty and more depressed. Not sure if I will eventually settle into the Diazepam. The idea is then to taper to zero in 7 months approx. I need as much support as possible to enable me to come off, or else I fear I will not be able to. Any ideas or support to help reduce withdrawal symptoms gladly accepted.

Hello formidible,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! You can do this! With a sensible slow taper plan, patience and support from those who understand what you are going through, you'll find yourself benzo free.

I see you switched from xanax to diazepam. Was this a sudden change from one medication to the other? If that is the case, I'm not surprised you are feeling some withdrawal symptoms.  While they are both benzos, the way each acts on the human body is different. Diazepam (valium) can be very sedating at the start, it was for me. It can also cause a depressed feeling. I also experienced this.  Once my body adjusted to the diazepam, things were a little better.

I would suggest you stabilize on the diazepam before starting your taper. This can take a couple of weeks. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

Going slow can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. For myself, staying distracted from the symptoms was key. For some, benzo withdrawal can be challenging, but in my opinion, it's well worth the effort. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans         

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Thanks alot for your advice. Yes I changed suddenly to Diazepam so I suppose how I'm feeling is to be expected and will stabilise in a few days as you say. Unfortunately I have been sleeping less, not more with the Diazepam but this may be due to the sudden change. Thanks for the link to the Ashton manual. I will read this over next few days.

Hi and welcome, formidible.

Xanax is a very short-acting benzodiazepine and diazepam (Valium) is a long-acting benzodiazepine. It may take up to two weeks for the diazepam to fully take effect in your system, so you are probably feeling some withdrawal symptoms from the sudden drop of Xanax. If it were me, I’d ask my doc if I could use a little Xanax over the next few weeks (as needed) to help get through that period a little easier.

I tapered 2mg of Xanax in 9 months, so you should be able to do this. It’s worth it to be off of a med that’s causing problems.

Challis  :)

Thanks Challis. I slept better last night, though still having low mornings. I am new to the area I live and still trying to settle. I live alone and am trying my best to get out and meet people and do things. I know distraction is a good way to cope with withdrawel symptoms. I just hope my underlying depression doesn't increase too much. I understand that Benzos can actually cause and /or make depression /anxiety worse. I kind of realise that this is probably true which is one of the reasons I want to come off anyway. Really glad I found this group.