~BEST~ audiobooks for coping w/ anxiety & healing from trauma

[no...]

so i started listening to audiobooks  :)

...to heal my trauma and anxiety (which caused me to take the first medication & "self medication")...

because my withdrawal brain can't focus on the written page long enough to read a book, and because my eyesight is poor, and because i can relax and absorb the info when i'm just listening to someone's voice....

i hope this thread will be suggestions of audiobooks (no written books please, just audiobooks) that others have listened to that REALLY helped them with the process of healing. 

these can be audiobooks on trauma, complex ptsd, ptsd, narcissistic abuse, dealing with childhood and adult abuse, how to rethink (everything), how to become aware of one's physical and mental body cues/symptoms and use them to change behavior, dietary and supplemental tools to effect positive healing change in the body and mind, alternative and holistic healing practices, meditation/mindfulness, how to regain self-sesteem, how to forgive, finding new ways to support oneself/career changes, disability and caregiving, the way our bodies work, brain plasticity, supplements and foods and drug interactions, reintegration into society after isolation, securing healthcare/providers on limited or no income, naturopathic and ayurvedic etc healing methods...etc!

i'll start it off with my first real self-HELPFUL audiobook:

https://www.amazon.com/Unfu-Yourself-Your-Head-into-ebook/dp/B071F7C5NQ/ref=pd_sim_351_2/146-5893554-1405956?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071F7C5NQ&pd_rd_r=5fdd62d6-7cd2-41dd-b8e6-311ef8c2d695&pd_rd_w=ho0ar&pd_rd_wg=Kyon4&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=GZT7PZMQFN5Z5Q455EPK&psc=1&refRID=GZT7PZMQFN5Z5Q455EPK 

1. "Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and into Your Life (Unfu*k Yourself series)" Kindle Edition by Gary John Bishop  :thumbsup:

my take on this audiobook: first of all, the author is also the narrator, and i LOVED his thick Scottish accent and his very frank to the point no BS or beatin around the bush style of speaking. it did not feel like a "book" being read. it felt like a bloke in a pub, or a really down to earth old soul, just telling me stuff. telling me things that i guess i knew in my heart but wouldn't or couldn't get to my conscious level of thinking. anyways, the things he explained, well, all i can say is my house is getting clean for the first time. like..ever.  i mean my actual home. i have been so unmotivated, or when i would get moments of motivation to clean, i would quickly get so overwhelmed and manic and confused that i'd give up midway between several tasks and nothing got done. so self- defeating. but for some reason, after listening to this guy speak to me, i just got up and started doing stuff. i started riding a bike again. i let go of a bunch of stuff that was weighing me down, mentally/emotionally and then physically. i started to eat better. this audiobook was so good i listened to it 2x. i wish he would narrate more books...it went by so fast!

currently listening to:

https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Fully-Feeling-Harvesting-Forgiveness/dp/B07MJT865F/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1566668940&sr=1-2

"The Tao of Fully Feeling: Harvesting Forgiveness out of Blame"  :thumbsup:

Audible Audiobook – Unabridged

Pete Walker (Author), Christopher Grove (Narrator), Tantor Audio (Publisher)

The price of emotional renunciation is a constant, wasteful expenditure of energy that leaves us depressed and taciturn, imprisoned in the apathy and ennui of the "seen that, been there, done that" syndrome. When we surrender and soften to our feelings, we reconnect with our inborn vitality and with the invaluable instinct and intuition that our feelings naturally carry. 

The Tao of Fully Feeling describes the middle ground of emotional aliveness that lies between emotional deadness and emotional explosiveness. It helps us to soften and relax into our feelings without exiling them or enshrining them. It guides us to be emotionally expressive in benign, intimacy-enhancing ways. 

The Tao of Fully Feeling teaches us to respond to our painful and potentially disruptive feelings in healthy ways. It illustrates the enriching aspects of the so-called negative emotions and helps us achieve the emotional flexibility whereby sadness easily mellows into solace, anger unfolds into laughter, fear evolves into excitement, jealousy opens up into appreciation, and blame gives way to forgiveness. 

The Tao of Fully Feeling refutes the black-and-white notion that blame is never justifiable. It describes safe, nondestructive ways of feeling and expressing blame - ways that ironically enhance our capacity to feel genuine forgiveness. 

When we authentically forgive our parents, we know what we are forgiving them for and what specifically was blameworthy about their behavior in the first place. When we forgive before we blame, we risk dragging the full weight of our childhood hurt and anger around forever, like an exhausted backpacker who is too dulled and over-trusting to notice that someone has put a boulder in his/her pack.

Kindle

$0.00

Read with Kindle Unlimited to also enjoy access to over 1 million more titles

$8.99 to buy

Audiobook

$14.69 or 1 credit

or 1 credit

Paperback

$16.00

2 Used from $25.00

4 New from $15.11

I love audiobooks. Unfu*k Yourself was great. I put The Tao book in my wishlist... look forward to listening.

I've really liked these ones:

Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction

https://www.audible.com/pd/Refuge-Recovery-Audiobook/B01M5FFDC3?pf_rd_p=ae76b2bb-e63d-4a67-b357-dab3dee05ca1&pf_rd_r=DSZPC9YCWTN1FDH69QM0&ref=a_lib_c4_libItem_B01M5FFDC3

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

https://www.audible.com/pd/A-Guide-to-the-Good-Life-Audiobook/B00G6ZLMDC?pf_rd_p=ae76b2bb-e63d-4a67-b357-dab3dee05ca1&pf_rd_r=DSZPC9YCWTN1FDH69QM0&ref=a_lib_c4_libItem_B00G6ZLMDC

Buddhism and Stoicism both have super great philosophies to live by.

I love audiobooks. Unfu*k Yourself was great. I put The Tao book in my wishlist... look forward to listening.

I've really liked these ones:

Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction

https://www.audible.com/pd/Refuge-Recovery-Audiobook/B01M5FFDC3?pf_rd_p=ae76b2bb-e63d-4a67-b357-dab3dee05ca1&pf_rd_r=DSZPC9YCWTN1FDH69QM0&ref=a_lib_c4_libItem_B01M5FFDC3

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

https://www.audible.com/pd/A-Guide-to-the-Good-Life-Audiobook/B00G6ZLMDC?pf_rd_p=ae76b2bb-e63d-4a67-b357-dab3dee05ca1&pf_rd_r=DSZPC9YCWTN1FDH69QM0&ref=a_lib_c4_libItem_B00G6ZLMDC

Buddhism and Stoicism both have super great philosophies to live by.

thank you for these suggestions hearsaynenz!

i love marcus aurelius, epictitus and seneca and the other stoic philosophers that i first heard of thru Unf*ck Yourself, and  want to learn more.  :thumbsup: i don't think i'll read the first book though since i'm not an addict. i have ALWAYS taken the drugs prescribed by my dr's exactly as prescribed and never for fun or to get high or anything like that, and i don't fit the definition of addiction but rather dependence and withdrawal and iatrogenic illness.

i love marcus aurelius, epictitus and seneca and the other stoic philosophers that i first heard of thru Unf*ck Yourself, and  want to learn more.  :thumbsup: i don't think i'll read the first book though since i'm not an addict. i have ALWAYS taken the drugs prescribed by my dr's exactly as prescribed and never for fun or to get high or anything like that, and i don't fit the definition of addiction but rather dependence and withdrawal and iatrogenic illness.

Yea, I can understand that, I had the same hesitations going into the Refuge Recovery book. However, as I was listening to the book, it led me to realize that I had/have other 'addictions'.. or maybe 'borderline addictions' that are causing additional suffering. It really made me take a very close look at myself and figure out which of my behaviors I could work on, and how I can be more skillful in my day to day actions. That meant anything from being on my phone too much, exercising too much, obsessively getting through my entire podcast subscription list, reacting poorly to being cut-off in traffic, etc. I also LOVE coffee and am(was) a moderate drinker. As you know, those things hinder our healing big time, and the book helped me deal with those cravings. Even though I'm not sure I would have considered either of those real 'addictions', it's still been hard to stop. I'm still working on it, too. In fact, the last wave I had was because I caved and had a cocktail. The wave was sooo bad that I'm pretty sure that next time I'll be able to pass on the booze, because it's NOT worth the 2 weeks of agony that it brings on.

But anyway... I can totally respect why you'd wanna pass on that one. So, another great quick, short and precise book about Buddhism that I've listened to like 4 times already is this one:

No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners:

https://www.audible.com/pd/No-Nonsense-Buddhism-for-Beginners-Audiobook/B07M796CWK

And along the same lines as Unf*ck yourself, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is pretty good, too:

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Subtle-Art-of-Not-Giving-a-F-ck-Audiobook/B01I28NFEE

Yea, I can understand that, I had the same hesitations going into the Refuge Recovery book. However, as I was listening to the book, it led me to realize that I had/have other 'addictions'.. or maybe 'borderline addictions' that are causing additional suffering. It really made me take a very close look at myself and figure out which of my behaviors I could work on, and how I can be more skillful in my day to day actions. That meant anything from being on my phone too much, exercising too much, obsessively getting through my entire podcast subscription list, reacting poorly to being cut-off in traffic, etc. I also LOVE coffee and am(was) a moderate drinker. As you know, those things hinder our healing big time, and the book helped me deal with those cravings. Even though I'm not sure I would have considered either of those real 'addictions', it's still been hard to stop. I'm still working on it, too. In fact, the last wave I had was because I caved and had a cocktail. The wave was sooo bad that I'm pretty sure that next time I'll be able to pass on the booze, because it's NOT worth the 2 weeks of agony that it brings on.

But anyway... I can totally respect why you'd wanna pass on that one. So, another great quick, short and precise book about Buddhism that I've listened to like 4 times already is this one:

No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners:

https://www.audible.com/pd/No-Nonsense-Buddhism-for-Beginners-Audiobook/B07M796CWK

And along the same lines as Unf*ck yourself, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is pretty good, too:

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Subtle-Art-of-Not-Giving-a-F-ck-Audiobook/B01I28NFEE

i really vibe with what you're saying.  :thumbsup: what did you think of the narration?

i really vibe with what you're saying.  :thumbsup: what did you think of the narration?

:thumbsup: .. I thought the narration was pretty good. A lot of complaints in the reviews that he doesn't pronounce a lot of the Buddhist terms/words correctly, but I don't know enough about Buddhism to notice or care  :)

The narration of the Stoicism book is pretty boring tbh.