Tapering after using Low dose Xanax (0.5mg) every day for 8 months

[An...]

Hi everyone,

I have generalized anxiety disorder and use a low dose of xanax (0.5 mg/day) every day since 6 months. It helps me getting through the day at work but I would like to try it without Xanax now since I am afraid I will get too dependent on a medication. Is it a problem being on a low dose of Xanax for longer periods? I am not an addictive person and don’t take any other drugs whatsoever, only maybe a beer or two once a month. Do you think I should taper or can I just quit since it is a low dose only?

Many thanks for you advice!

May we all get well!

Andy

Hello Andy :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are very glad you joined our community.  Benzodiazepines are only recommended for short term use (2 or 3 weeks). It doesnt take long for dependency to set in.  Benzos should be tapered off slowly,  do some research around the forum. we can help you with support, encouragement and taper/withdrawal information.  In general it’s advised to cut your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

“The severity of withdrawal is not dose related – someone taking large quantities of

benzodiazepines will not necessarily experience a more difficult withdrawal than someone taking small quantities. The length of time the person has been taking benzodiazepines is a more relevant predictor.”

So you’d better be careful, 6 months are not a short time use. You can try to lower your dose a little and hold for few days, if nothing happens, you can continue to cut the dose. But if you notice any wd sxs, just consider the tapping procedure.

6 months is a long time. I developed tolerance in only 4 weeks at your dose. Every one is different. I met a guy who claimed he cold turkeyed 3 mg of Klonopin after 10 yrs and felt nothing. So who knows. For me this stuff was poison. I would heir on the side of caution though and taper.

If this is your first benzodiazepine use you may have little trouble tapering off. But I think I would do.  some sort of taper to be cautious.

In your situation I might cut my dose by 1/4 and see how I felt. Xanax works in just a few minutes so if there were uncomfortable symptoms it’s pretty easy to head them off by taking the 1/4 that was left out of your dose.

If you choose to stay on Xanax it’s likely you’ll eventually need to up your dose because the therapeutic effects typically diminish over time. Eventually most of us ended up on higher and higher doses with less and less relief from the original symptom...and have a physical drug dependency to boot (which has nothing to do with whether or not one has an addictive tendency, this is.purely physical).

These are just facts, not an attempt to scare you off Xanax...that’s your decision and only yours.