Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Study, Jun/19: Psychotropic use in older adults and risk of hip fracture

[La...]

The full title of this Australian study is "Combination psychotropic medicine use in older adults and risk of hip fracture".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6594851/

SUMMARY

Older people might be embarrassed to talk about falling as they worry this may be judged as a loss of their ability to live independently. Ask older patients, at least yearly, if they ever feel unsteady on their feet or if they have fallen.

Consider whether medicines may be contributing to feelings of unsteadiness or falling. Drugs such as benzodiazepines and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, particularly if taken together, are associated with a risk of falling and hip fracture.

Review the patient’s treatment regimen to see if there are drugs that are no longer required. Psychotropic drugs should usually be tapered gradually so that adverse effects can be minimised.

Involve a range of health professionals to identify and manage the risk of falls. Help patients stay physically active, independent and socially connected.

This is a particularly pertinent article for me. Although I'm not a senior, I was on both benzos and an SSRI, and dizziness/disequilibrium has been my worst issue, even though I tapered quite some time ago. I even fractured a bone in my foot due to my disequilibrium, so I'm intimately acquainted with the risk of fracture from imbalance. The type of fracture that is the focus of this article -- hip fracture -- can be extremely debilitating, and may, ultimately, lead to death (i.e. if pneumonia sets in from being bed-bound).

I'm a senior, and I can tell you that it gets pretty dicey trying to navigate the streets with dizziness. Today I turned around and found I was off-kilter, kind of looking like a drunk person. It was as if my eyes were not in tune with my body and there was a delay in registering.

The benzos caused it. I'm sure of it. Never, ever had dizziness before. All hell broke loose with vertigo and dizziness once I reached tolerance. This topic really ought to cause doctors to pause, but I wonder if it makes a dent at all in their prescribing choices. A fall can change an elderly person's life completely. A lot of us don't drive, and we get around by walking to grocery stores, etc. Being alone all day would not be healthy, and as you said, a hip fracture could be a very serious issue. Beware benzos and SSRIs!!

Hi Terry,

I know you're staying as active as you can despite the dizziness. Just keep up the good work and stay safe! It's good that you can get out. I'm not able to.

Oh, I'm so sorry, Lapis!!! I often think of you trying to get around inside your house, with the terrible dizzy spells you have. I ought to be grateful that I can get out, but here I am, thinking of all the people walking around with nary a thought of dizziness and how hard it is.

I wish so very much that you could get out, Lapis!!! I know how active you used to be, swimming. It's a terrible shame that this has lasted so long. :'(

Thanks for your support, Terry. I always think of those people out there too. I especially watch the cyclists, as I was an avid cyclist before all of this. Getting back on my bike is still my biggest dream.

You'll get there, Lapis!!! I'm sure of it!!!

You have plenty of drive and desire. It hasn't gone away even in this benzo crisis. I just hope that it happens sooner than you think!!! Maybe some visualization, like athletes do, would help? :smitten: