LADIES Help, pls? terrified my problem may end in death.

[4f...]

[4f...]

Hi

I am on 32mg valium, was on 75mg in 2016

I am from the uk

Been on hrt since 2013 starting with a pill containing estrogen and progesterone but it didn't cure my perimenopause symptoms, I would never have gone on hrt if I had known the effects of progesterone.

Anyway, here is a timeline of my hrt since 2014

I started taking estrogen patch and 200mg oral micronised progeseterone capsule in 2014, I was addicted to valium from 2009 to 2014 when I finally tapered off valium thinking I was safe before I read about the cross tolerance between benzos and progesterone.

From 2014 to 2016 I was taking the progesterone for 12 days  month but noticed my mental state getting worse on the days I was not taking progesterone, so I halved the 200mg progesterone which I was taking 12 days a month to 100mg and started taking it every day.

I continued this regime and last year I started getting abnormal bleeding, and got a  hysteroscopy which thankfully tested negative for cancer in January this year.

The doctor increased my 100mg daily micronised progesterone to 200mg a day, 1 oral and 1 vaginal.

All went well until June when I started getting irregular bleeding again, despite the increase in progesterone.

I saw my GP around 2 weeks ago who said that I might have to change progestin.

At the time she said to monitor the bleeding and I have to see her again in 2 weeks time.

I have read lots of posts on here about women suffering terribly when they come off progesterone.

Even changing it can alter GABA which I am really worried about as the bleeding has not stopped.

I went for a PAP smear today and the speculum was bloody (sorry for too much information)

Given the trouble many women on here have had coming off small amounts of progesterone, I am terrified that I may become tolerant to the 200mg and this could eventually end in death. I read all about HPA axis dysregulation on perserverances posts.

I am also worried that a change in progestin could make my mental state dangerously worse as I have lots of other serious worries not related to benzos.

I cant taper off the progesterone because I need it to oppose the estrogen, but the thought of becoming tolerant to such a large amount, when women on here have suffered after reducing much smaller amounts is making me fear that this could end in my death.

I have read Perseverance's thread called "HOW BENZOS CAUSE HPA AXIS DYSREGULATION " and her first post has this quote

"Avoid topical, oral, or intravenous steroids.  This includes hydrocortisone creams and ointments and steroid injections for pain.  And also neuroactive steroids like oral DHEA supplements and prescription Progesterone."

I'm terrified that as I cannot taper the progesterone, the tolerance will eventually end up in my death.

I am also terrified that if the bleeding persists, they will have to change my progesterone and my mental state could get dangerously worse.

I am also terrified that as I have been on benzos for such a long time 13 years first addiciton and now 4 years starting at 75mg valium and currently on 32mg valium that I will end up with brain injury mentioned in perseverance's thread

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44373.0

Would love some help, I still have my womb. Are my worries founded or am I being paranoid. My anxiety is already high on 200mg progesterone and 32mg valium, so heaven only knows how it will be when I reduce the valium more or get tolerant to the progesterone.

Thanks

[4f...]

Hi

I am on 32mg valium, was on 75mg in 2016

I am from the uk

Been on hrt since 2013 starting with a pill containing estrogen and progesterone but it didn't cure my perimenopause symptoms, I would never have gone on hrt if I had known the effects of progesterone.

Anyway, here is a timeline of my hrt since 2014

I started taking estrogen patch and 200mg oral micronised progeseterone capsule in 2014, I was addicted to valium from 2009 to 2014 when I finally tapered off valium thinking I was safe before I read about the cross tolerance between benzos and progesterone.

From 2014 to 2016 I was taking the progesterone for 12 days  month but noticed my mental state getting worse on the days I was not taking progesterone, so I halved the 200mg progesterone which I was taking 12 days a month to 100mg and started taking it every day.

I continued this regime and last year I started getting abnormal bleeding, and got a  hysteroscopy which thankfully tested negative for cancer in January this year.

The doctor increased my 100mg daily micronised progesterone to 200mg a day, 1 oral and 1 vaginal.

All went well until June when I started getting irregular bleeding again, despite the increase in progesterone.

I saw my GP around 2 weeks ago who said that I might have to change progestin.

At the time she said to monitor the bleeding and I have to see her again in 2 weeks time.

I have read lots of posts on here about women suffering terribly when they come off progesterone.

Even changing it can alter GABA which I am really worried about as the bleeding has not stopped.

I went for a PAP smear today and the speculum was bloody (sorry for too much information)

Given the trouble many women on here have had coming off small amounts of progesterone, I am terrified that I may become tolerant to the 200mg and this could eventually end in death. I read all about HPA axis dysregulation on perserverances posts.

I am also worried that a change in progestin could make my mental state dangerously worse as I have lots of other serious worries not related to benzos.

I cant taper off the progesterone because I need it to oppose the estrogen, but the thought of becoming tolerant to such a large amount, when women on here have suffered after reducing much smaller amounts is making me fear that this could end in my death.

I have read Perseverance's thread called "HOW BENZOS CAUSE HPA AXIS DYSREGULATION " and her first post has this quote

"Avoid topical, oral, or intravenous steroids.  This includes hydrocortisone creams and ointments and steroid injections for pain.  And also neuroactive steroids like oral DHEA supplements and prescription Progesterone."

I'm terrified that as I cannot taper the progesterone, the tolerance will eventually end up in my death.

I am also terrified that if the bleeding persists, they will have to change my progesterone and my mental state could get dangerously worse.

I am also terrified that as I have been on benzos for such a long time 13 years first addiciton and now 4 years starting at 75mg valium and currently on 32mg valium that I will end up with brain injury mentioned in perseverance's thread

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44373.0

Would love some help, I still have my womb. Are my worries founded or am I being paranoid. My anxiety is already high on 200mg progesterone and 32mg valium, so heaven only knows how it will be when I reduce the valium more or get tolerant to the progesterone.

Thanks

Journey2,

You are not going to die. Oral Progesterone produces Allopregnanalone which is a metabolite. It is similar acting to benzo's. Dr Elizabeth Vliet states in her book "Screaming To Be Heard" that it is as potent as Klonopin. I took it for a while as I was tweaking HRT. I had a total hysterectomy, so I really didn't need it. I got confused, memory loss and it caused my Estradiol level to plummet. The purpose of it is to oppose Estradiol so when you have a period you shed the lining as not to get cancer of the uterus. About 10 days before your period it goes way up and the Estradiol drops. That is why women get tired, bloated, headaches etc.

If you are on HRT and have a uterus, you definitely need progesterone. I would not worry about tapering off of that until you are off of the valium. Again, you need the P so your uterine lining does not build up.

I did have to taper off as it was not helping me and I did not need it. It took me about 5 months to taper, but I was Klonopin also, and I still am  >:(.

Don't stress over it. Focus on the Valium taper right now and then down the road if you choose not to do HRT, then you tackle that.

[4f...]

Journey2,

You are not going to die. Oral Progesterone produces Allopregnanalone which is a metabolite. It is similar acting to benzo's. Dr Elizabeth Vliet states in her book "Screaming To Be Heard" that it is as potent as Klonopin. I took it for a while as I was tweaking HRT. I had a total hysterectomy, so I really didn't need it. I got confused, memory loss and it caused my Estradiol level to plummet. The purpose of it is to oppose Estradiol so when you have a period you shed the lining as not to get cancer of the uterus. About 10 days before your period it goes way up and the Estradiol drops. That is why women get tired, bloated, headaches etc.

If you are on HRT and have a uterus, you definitely need progesterone. I would not worry about tapering off of that until you are off of the valium. Again, you need the P so your uterine lining does not build up.

I did have to taper off as it was not helping me and I did not need it. It took me about 5 months to taper, but I was Klonopin also, and I still am  >:(.

Don't stress over it. Focus on the Valium taper right now and then down the road if you choose not to do HRT, then you tackle that.

Hi Dana and thanks for your reply.

I am still continually bleeding on the progesterone even though I am on such a high amount so it is not stopping the womb lining from coming out.

I am worried about tolerance to it because so many women say they had no problems coming off it before benzos, but major problems coming off it after benzos, these women were taking much  lower doses than me, as they were using cream.

I cannot taper my progesterone when off the valium, as I am on capsules which are un-tapereable and the UK does not do progesterone cream as it is not licenced here and is actually illegal here.

Its the progesterone tolerance I am worried about and the speed of which you can become tolerant.

journey, I'm really sorry for your dilemma and wish I had some info that would help.  I read your post because I need to taper off of low doses of estradiol (.5 mg) and medroxyprogesterone (2.5 mg) when I complete my Cymbalta taper.  I wasn't aware that it was difficult to taper off of progesterone.  Where have you read this?  I realize we are all different, but I'd like more info on how to taper off of HRT when already on the lowest dose possible.  My doctor told me that when I'm ready to taper, I should start skipping days and gradually reduce the HRT that way. 

Is there any info on this site on taper schedules for low-dose HRT? 

journey, I'm really sorry for your dilemma and wish I had some info that would help.  I read your post because I need to taper off of low doses of estradiol (.5 mg) and medroxyprogesterone (2.5 mg) when I complete my Cymbalta taper.  I wasn't aware that it was difficult to taper off of progesterone.  Where have you read this?  I realize we are all different, but I'd like more info on how to taper off of HRT when already on the lowest dose possible.  My doctor told me that when I'm ready to taper, I should start skipping days and gradually reduce the HRT that way. 

Is there any info on this site on taper schedules for low-dose HRT?

Hi Gardenlady

I just got the info by reading posts on this site by searching under progesterone.

Please try not to be afraid, I am posting from a place of uncertainty, so do not take my worries on board.

I will be closing the journey2 account as I was originally registered under journey without the 2 and thought I had lost the acccount but I found it and the mods are going to close it, but I will still be on the forum as journey.

• 3 weeks later...
Any discussion with your doctor about using a progesterone containing IUD instead of oral/vaginal preparations?  This could help minimize the systemic sx of progesterone but still protect your uterine lining.  This is off label but many are doing this in the USA.  Just wondering. Also, avoid Provera:  the emotional side effects are killer IMO.

• 5 months later...

Any discussion with your doctor about using a progesterone containing IUD instead of oral/vaginal preparations?  This could help minimize the systemic sx of progesterone but still protect your uterine lining.  This is off label but many are doing this in the USA.  Just wondering. Also, avoid Provera:  the emotional side effects are killer IMO.

Hi squirrleygirl

Sorry for the late reply. IUD had been considered but would alter the GABA levels in my bloodstream so is not an option. Thank you for your answer though.