There was someone who took flumazenil and found it helpful... who?

[Ba...]

Hi was not that long ago read someone, apparently long timer here, had taken flumazenil and it helped.

I can't find his name... any ideas?  It was short, like a few letters long.

Am just thinking of trying something very different at this point am so stuck adn suffering.  Thank you.

Also, from the German article, they also found these others helpful... anyone tried these 'mood stabilizers'?

>>hospitalization and the additional administration of carbamazepine or valproic acid are recommended. Flumazenil treatment <<

Thanks.

There is a post about it under success stories. I would be careful as I believe its a forced cold turkey with a drug that doesnt have that much research yet to back it up and its really expensive. I know someone in the US who had it for his PAWS - he still has some withdrawal symptoms 10 years later. Hes an extreme case but he said flumazanil only helped for a few hours.

Dont do it in my opinion

;(

So he is the only one you know, an this other person who said it helped I don't recall the name (I rarely recall much of anything, tho)...

That German study said it and carbamazine or something like that were helpful...  at least they are studying stuff which is more than the US is doing it seems...

thx for reply.

ill try and find the link to the success story about it.

Im in Perth Western Australia & there is a clinic here that does it. They were going to rapid detox me off it and use the flumazanil implant to help the side effects. i instantly said no. I think its a safe treatment maybe best used in acute withdrawal or after to give you some windows. Like i said it’s expensive so might not be worth the few hours of relief u get.

Freebi,

Thanks for finding that.

Did he take flumazanil after being off benzos?  I am still on.

I am not taking gabapentin as so many do.  I do think Lyrica, sort of like gabapentin, helps me on the rare occasions I've taken part of one.  Maybe I am being 'stubborn' in my persistence not to take otehr stuff.  As he says, life is going by while I try to be medicationally 'pure' as it were... which makes no sense.

When he says he reached tolerance I guess he is saying more would not help him?  I'm not sure on that one with me... I think I've bene pretty stupid just insisting I want to come off.  I think few people do that unless their dr. forces them off or, if they take it, they feel horrible from it.

WA?  I have a friend in SA!  ;)

Cool SA is right next to us.

Taking Lyrica may not be a good idea unless you’ve already been taking it enough to have to taper off. Lyrica works on the GABA receptors and when u say u get relief after u take Lyrica thats why. I think both that and Gabapentin work on Gaba B and benzos on Gaba A. so theres apparently 2 receptors. Im not 100% sure my info is correct i would still check with a doctor.

I think Flumazanil is best used once u have tapered from your benzo otherwise the detox clinics force a rapid taper over a few days on you and we all know that just is not wise at all in the slightest. If u want to try Flumazanil try it once you’re in acute or post acute to give u some relief.

When you said he was in tolerance withdrawals thats what happens when u take a benzo for a long period and your body needs a higher dose to feel relief. Tolerance wd is something you DO NOT want thats why I suggest you slowly taper off your benzo until u get there. The longer youre on a benzo the tougher the withdrawals will be, its not a medication you should take for life. It doesnt ever work out well. once youre in tolerance u’ll develop or sorts of strange illnesses. Ive heard of multi people being diagnosed with MS, all along it was just the benzo tolerance and once they got off the benzo they got better - MS GONE,,, cus it was never there to begin.

Doctors still dont habe Benzo WD or PAWS in the DSM which baffles me because thousands of ppl around the world heck could be millions are severely damaged from these drugs. theyre ONLY meant for occasional use or 2-4 weeks max.

On your signature it looks like you went C/T and then you reinstated with Klonipin. I think thats ‘kindling’. Its a phenomenon in the recovery community I would look up benzo kindling. its what happens once you stop a benzo and have a withdrawal and then you go back on and the second time around can be much more challenging

No... never CT anything but mirtaz, and that was 6 weeks low dose so I thought that was no problem.  HA!  THAT put me into acute, but still on the benzo.  That is why I don't know what to do.

Nobody else here in that situation that I have found.

Many on mirtaz to sleep and come OFF the benzo.

I was fine on the benzo-- no mystery diseases.  I was tapering, no prob, took mirtaz (and also azithromycin) and bedridden every symptom in the book.

Since mirtaz withdrawal same symptoms as benzos, it was DUMB of me to not up the clon to get stable.  But I didn't.

But don't know what to do now.

My friend in SA wants me to visit..... but if can't hardly get out the door, doubt I'd survive 15 hr flight...  then have to fly from Melbourne or something further.  Would be nice, tho!

I took mirt for 9 days and I stopped and I was ok. Just shows how different we all are! we all react so differently to meds and lack there of

[3f...]
Could it have been due to the azithromycin?  Most ABs affect the cns and cause many people to have awful setbacks after taking them. I took a penicillin at 9 months off and went straight back to acute for months, took me 7 months to get over it, felt like i was thrown back to the beginning and had to start wd all over again.

Southern, hi.

I will never know, but I know mirtaz was doing a number on me.  I'd take it and almost instantly feel headache in back of skull, got 3 ocular migraines (never happened before or since), and the bouncy feeling.

As I say, did take it 6 weeks... not just a few days.  And did CT it. 

I am sure the antibiotic did not help tho had had it before for bronchitis no issue.

This was a combination of pets dying... dad dying.. mom dying... me sick and depressed, then the mirtazapine and antibiox...  then bedridden with all hell breaking loose.

;(      Had no idea any of those meds could cause all of the bizarre, extreme symptoms

Southern, I had an incredible URI last year and had to take anbitioic and yes, it did set me back months.

I guess we are screwed up with any of them now?  What do we do if we are dying and need them...  die?  Think it probably is preferable to living through withdrawal.

I thought penicillin was one of the 'gentle' ones?  No, huh?

[3f...]

Wow Barbara you have really been through it, my heartfelt sympathies. Way too much stress for one person. I'm in a really bad wave atm from severe stress, almost 20 months out and obviously i'm nowhere near healed although i thought i was getting close,  i think some of us med sensitive souls may well be screwed when it comes to taking ABs or other meds that affect the cns after bwd, i actually think i would have to be dying before i would take another med of any description, the memory of the horror of it all is still way too raw.

SS  x

SS,  at least I am glad you made it off!!  That is huge.

Yeah, I wonder what is the deal with some of our genetics that we have this tremendous reaction?  i mean, obviously, most people don't get this!

lucky us...  >:(

I did the Flumazenil detox at the Coleman Institute almost a year ago now, but thee rue rwalkt now ya to know if it made a difference or not unfortunately.

Freebie, tht it accelerates withdrawal sure would not help me-- I can't function now!  I see it is all complex and scientists don't know much.  So guess won't be visiting near you soon... hehe.

I hope one day I am well enough to go see my friend in SA, in which case, well, maybe ;)

Boy but today so awful... hope tings are ok there.