fear of being alone

[...]

Hello,

I am tapering of clonazepam but even ever since I started taking clonazepam I have had a terrible fear of being alone. What causes that? What can I do about it.

I was floxed before I started clonazepam and all my troubles started then

Can anybody relate to this please?

Thanks

jmhp/Anne, what you describe is a withdrawal symptom called monophobia. Some of us develop it while taking benzos or during withdrawal.

I can definitely relate. For me, it comes during waves but goes away on better days. Just remind yourself that it's due to your GABA receptors being temporarily down-regulated. It will normalize and go away completely as you heal. It's definitely temporary.

If you can, explain it to the people around you as a recognized, documented symptom of benzodiazepine withdrawal - our still-recovering brains cause us to feel very unsafe - and ask them to keep you company and reassure you, whenever possible.

You're not alone. I hope this helps a little.

Wildflower

jmhp/Anne, what you describe is a withdrawal symptom called monophobia. Some of us develop it while taking benzos or during withdrawal.

I can definitely relate. For me, it comes during waves but goes away on better days. Just remind yourself that it's due to your GABA receptors being temporarily down-regulated. It will normalize and go away completely as you heal. It's definitely temporary.

If you can, explain it to the people around you as a recognized, documented symptom of benzodiazepine withdrawal - our still-recovering brains cause us to feel very unsafe - and ask them to keep you company and reassure you, whenever possible.

You're not alone. I hope this helps a little.

Wildflower

That was a great post Wildflower  :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Optomist,

I'm a couple months behind you and also debilitated by monophobia and agoraphobia. Its so crazy, completely irrational and my mind KNOWS that, but the fear is so real and so are the panic attacks. Do you do anything to challenge it at your stage or just try to be safe as possible? I'm literally with family 24/7 and cannot go anywhere by myself.

The Optomist,

I'm a couple months behind you and also debilitated by monophobia and agoraphobia. Its so crazy, completely irrational and my mind KNOWS that, but the fear is so real and so are the panic attacks. Do you do anything to challenge it at your stage or just try to be safe as possible? I'm literally with family 24/7 and cannot go anywhere by myself.

I am the same way Ptsdm, I can't be by myself, it is really awful and I am sure stressful for my family. I also feel really embarrassed about it - how can you explain that to people?

I had to take my daughter to a doctor's appointment and had to take a relative with me. I couldn't cancel, it was a really important appointment. I was on the edge of panic the whole time. I wish there was something we could take..

I am going to try CBD oil to see if it helps.

I try to challenge it as much as I am able. For example trying to be alone for 5 mins, then 10 etc..I am able to go out as long as I am with my husband or a trusted relative.

Do you have health anxiety too?

I'm exactly the same. I can go out as long as I'm with my parents or relative. I tried staying home by myself for 10 minutes last month and had to distract myself the whole time.

Health anxiety is what led me to take benzo in the first place after a health scare, and yup this magnified ten fold than the original health anxiety in withdrawal. I don't have any specific health phobias now, but basically worryinginto the future.