Does magnesium help or or make benzo withdrawals worse?

[Mo...]

Magnesium in any form is a potent GABA agonist just like benzos. So it may "help" w/d sxs for a while but it is like taking more benzo..and I had to slowly taper off the magnesium.

I use a transdermal magnesium. Life Flo Magnesium Chloride.I rub it on my feet and put on socks at night. It seems to help with sleep. I also have a low dose Mag Glycinate that I take with dinner.

I asked the same question and it's such a controverted topic that I decided not to risk it and not take it. I wish I could though. My bones and muscles need it.

Helps me fall asleep. Mag glycinate by Pure Encapsulations. Also magnesium with vitamin B6. Mag citrate was also good, not sure why I switched.

Completely harmless and may be beneficial. Stopping it abruptly may cause some constipation, but nothing mental. That's my experience.

I use a transdermal magnesium. Life Flo Magnesium Chloride.I rub it on my feet and put on socks at night. It seems to help with sleep. I also have a low dose Mag Glycinate that I take with dinner.

yep i take magnesium lysinate glycinate chelate 100mg 4x a day. i take it when first awakening to help the anxiety from the morning wake up cortisol and then later in the day to help with sleep. but i began it way before i started my taper. i started it when i changed my diet and started looking at nutrients bioavailability and what i could get from food and began supplementing whatever i couldn't get enough of from food sources. so it's been a part of my normal chemistry for years. i dunno how it would be if i started taking it after beginning to taper...

I take Magnesium Citrate Powder every night.  300 mg.  It helps my BP stay low bcuz it tends to SPIKE every time I taper 1 milliliter.  Seems to be helping me.  And I never read that Magnesium interferes with Gaba and I've done research on it to be sure.  Maybe I missed something........I'll check more but I've been taking the Magnesium for over a year and it's not a problem for me.  I am ultra sensitive to Glyciene ...wish I knew why.

I've been taking Magnesium Gylcinate during all of my med tapers. Not an excessive amount but sometimes during the day when I'm anxious.  I'm back to using it at night along with a small amount of Melatonin to help with my fitful sleep while I taper.

Never had an issue with it and I've been pollydrugged and super sensitive.

I've been taking Magnesium Gylcinate during all of my med tapers. Not an excessive amount but sometimes during the day when I'm anxious.  I'm back to using it at night along with a small amount of Melatonin to help with my fitful sleep while I taper.

:thumbsup:

Final ..........Great Idea! 

I wish so much that I could tolerate the Glycinate but for some ODD, explainable reason, My body REVS up with Glycinate.  I'll never comprehend why but it does.  Yet, I'm giving the Mag Glycinate to my husband and he sleeps like a baby with it.  So I'm stuck with Mag Citrate.  Glycinate is healing in so many ways.  I wish I could take it.  WAH.

You are doing the right thing.  Thanks for sharing. 

I wish so much that I could tolerate the Glycinate but for some ODD, explainable reason, My body REVS up with Glycinate.  I'll never comprehend why but it does.  Yet, I'm giving the Mag Glycinate to my husband and he sleeps like a baby with it.  So I'm stuck with Mag Citrate.  Glycinate is healing in so many ways.  I wish I could take it.  WAH.

I totally get it.  I can't take fish oil because it makes me hyper.  I know it's so healing for the brain but for some reason I have the opposite reaction.  :(

I totally get it.  I can't take fish oil because it makes me hyper.  I know it's so healing for the brain but for some reason I have the opposite reaction.  :(

hey Final,

have you ever tried flax seed oil capsules? i take them instead of fish oil because they don't have the heavy metals like mercury and other neurotoxins to worry about, and they are a plant sourced nongmo way to get all your omega 3,6,and 9's fatty acids and help the same way fish oil does with lowering cholesterols and healping with brain functioning.  i get mine on amazon. it comes to about 10 dollars a month.

FH, how much magnesium do you take, if you don't mind me asking  :)

FH,

Fish oil does the same thing to me. Makes me anxious and hyper. I have a lot of paradoxical reactions to supplements. Vitamin D is another one I can't take.  >:(.  I do have Mag. Glycinate and take 250mg sometimes at night. I also have transdermal Mag by Life Flo. Mag. Chloride. I rub in my feet and wear socks a bedtime. Sometimes I think the other mag bothers my gut.

hey Final,

have you ever tried flax seed oil capsules? i take them instead of fish oil because they don't have the heavy metals like mercury and other neurotoxins to worry about, and they are a plant sourced nongmo way to get all your omega 3,6,and 9's fatty acids and help the same way fish oil does with lowering cholesterols and healping with brain functioning.  i get mine on amazon. it comes to about 10 dollars a month.

I havent tried that, what a good suggestion.  Willing to try even even though I have spent thousands of dollars on supplments.  I want to help my heal anyway I can. I did buy flax seeds last month bit havent opened the bag.  Would those be effective too?

Not at all. I use the Doctors Best brand ( my husband researched lots of brands and this was highly rated) .  They are 100mgs capsules

I take between 200mg-600mgs at most.  Probably about 300 on average.  I feel the effects when I take them so sometimes I bite them in half and take half at a time.  They are big tablets so I also have to chew them a bit to swallow them. 

I'm going to take a bit more at night and cut back on the L-Tryptophan.  See if taking 200mgs at night, with melatonin will help.  Sometimes I take a 1/2 tablet in the morning to stop the morning anxiety.

FH,

Fish oil does the same thing to me. Makes me anxious and hyper. I have a lot of paradoxical reactions to supplements. Vitamin D is another one I can't take.  >:(.  I do have Mag. Glycinate and take 250mg sometimes at night. I also have transdermal Mag by Life Flo. Mag. Chloride. I rub in my feet and wear socks a bedtime. Sometimes I think the other mag bothers my gut.

I tried magnesium oll a few times but dont think I gave it enough of a chance. I have such huge paradoxical reactions to supplements these days.  I'm afraid to try things sometimes.  I used to respond really well to L-Theanine during my other tapers but not well with this one.

hey Final,

I havent tried that, what a good suggestion.  Willing to try even even though I have spent thousands of dollars on supplments.  I want to help my heal anyway I can. I did buy flax seeds last month bit havent opened the bag.  Would those be effective too?

i hear you on the cost of supplements!! omgoodnes, the lkast one i tried but didn't like was some weight los thing i got for free cause i bought something else from a company...it was garcinia camboga something or other...made me feel speedy so i chucked in the garbage. at least it was free.

the flax seeds are really great to help keep things moving in the gi tract, i get occasional constipation if i don't add chia seeds or ground flax to my smoothies if i eat a lot of starchy beans lol...usually i'm ok cause i eat mostly vegan. except for occasionalshellfish haha. but the flax seeds will always help if you need to get things moving and don't want to use laxatives. they aren't hardly even noticable in my smoothies cause i mix chia seeds and ground flax seeds together about half n half and add a couple or 3 spoons to my mango/avocado/banana smoothies with some cold almond  or coconut milk. yum! as far as getting the benefits of the cholesterol lowering and brain healing from the flax seeds though, you need the flax seed oil in larger amounts, which is super easy to take if you can toss back the veggie softgel caps. they're big like fish oil gel caps, but not fishy tasting. no taste at all actually. you can pour it on salads if you like as the oil itself but it's a lot of oil to eat unless you like a lot of dressing. i just think those gel caps are much more convenient. i don't eat salads everyday.

i take the one here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XV2DW3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i wonder if the fish oils were ramping you up cause of the heavy metals?  i adore seafood, but i limit how much i eat to about 1x a week per safety guidelines now. or if i make gumbo, i eat it for about 5 days and then not for another month lol..so i hope it works out to the same amount of exposure! lol well, if it makes me test high on heavy metals , that'll teach me not to eat it so much i guess.  ;)

FH,

yeah i like the magnesium spray too. i tried a magnesium and charcoal deodorant but it made me red and irritated so can't use it. but i do take the mag lysinate glycinate, 4 x a day now, i added a pill first thing on waking to help with the early waking anxiety and it has been helping.  :)

Not at all. I use the Doctors Best brand ( my husband researched lots of brands and this was highly rated) .  They are 100mgs capsules

I take between 200mg-600mgs at most.  Probably about 300 on average.  I feel the effects when I take them so sometimes I bite them in half and take half at a time.  They are big tablets so I also have to chew them a bit to swallow them. 

I'm going to take a bit more at night and cut back on the L-Tryptophan.  See if taking 200mgs at night, with melatonin will help.  Sometimes I take a 1/2 tablet in the morning to stop the morning anxiety.

this one?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD0RT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love it! been taking it for over 2 years now everyday...started with 2 pills a day, quickly built up to 4x daily. more if i get stressed or anxious.  and yes i was just telling Dana, i started taking a pill upon first waking and it's helping that cortisol morning anxiety! thank goodness, whew  :balloon:

this one?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD0RT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love it! been taking it for over 2 years now everyday...started with 2 pills a day, quickly built up to 4x daily. more if i get stressed or anxious.  and yes i was just telling Dana, i started taking a pill upon first waking and it's helping that cortisol morning anxiety! thank goodness, whew  :balloon:

Yes, that's what I take.  I need to also build it up again. Struggling with sleep.amd had been taking L-tryptophan but then someone told me that it wasn't food during benzo withdrawal.  I have not had a bad experience with it but thought I would cut back.

Have you heard anything bad about L-tryptophan?

It is so odd that we are all sensitive to different things.  That is why we must watch opinions and always do research on any and all supplements before we try them.

I tried an OMEGA 3 Fish Oil and it made me hyper.  But then I found this Wild Caught Alaskan SALMON OIL and it does NOT make me hyper.  I wonder what the difference is? 

Also, my hubby is and never has been on any meds.  I gave him the Omega 3 Fish Oil capsule and it made HIM HYPER and he is NOT a hyper type person at all.

This is the kind we take and no hyperness at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Factors-Natural-Supports-softgels-servings/dp/B000CQQLF0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=240GZQ29YB4CW&keywords=wild+caught+alaskan+salmon+oil&qid=1566840002&s=gateway&sprefix=Wild+Caught+Ala%2Caps%2C327&sr=8-4

Wondering why there is such a difference? 

Anyway, hope this helps for those who want to take Salmon Oil.  Do the research first though. 

Still trying to figure out why I cannot tolerate Glycinate?