My first post here.. anyone take something for Blood pressure?

[ma...]

Hi everyone.  I'm 40 months off Klonopin, which I just took off and on

for insomnia due to Cymbalta withdrawal.  I stopped it cold turkey, not

knowing I had become dependent on it.

I've had severe akathisia since coming off Cymbalta.  I was up all night

last night pacing with racing heart and sky high blood pressure.  High

blood pressure has been a problem for me for years before taking Cymbalta.

I couldn't tolerate the bp meds after withdrawal, but I'm thinking I need to

get my blood pressure controlled.  Can I still heal from withdrawal if I take

a beta blocker?  Thoughts?

Beta blockers are often prescribed in detox centers for BP spikes. They are quite safe and you have no reason to worry about taking them. I am speaking as a nurse now. I have essential hypertension and have since I was 25 years old. During benzo wd I was given some Clonidine on top of my usual BP meds. Did not affect my WD at all, and it also sort of made me relax just a bit.

Taking BP meds did not affect my benzo healing at all. This is not something you need to worry about.

You will do just fine, and congrats on getting off benzos! Good job!

east

Oh, thank you all so much for the replies.  That does ease my mind.

I was prescribed a calcium channel blocker, Amlodipine.

Thank you cookiegirl.  The Amlodipine isn't working.  I'm so terrified that nothing

will work.  My bp is still sky high today.  It was down yesterday, now it's back up

today.  So scared. I feel so very sick,  and I have severe akathisia.  It has always

eased up at night, now it's not giving me a break at all.  I don't know what to do.

Can I still heal from withdrawal if I take a beta blocker?

Yes you can.

But if the amlodipine isn't working (it's not a beta blocker, but you know that) you need to go back to your doc and thoroughly discuss your options. Sometimes the first medication isn't the best one. I've been on three different blood pressure medications over a lot of years (11) and finally we got the right one.

You say you couldn't tolerate bp meds. Which one(s)? Why not? Is the doc who is treating you now the same one who was treating you when you couldn't tolerate the bp meds in the past?

Try to calm yourself down. Can you? And maybe take your bp a couple of times day and record it for your doctor.  That way she can see when your bp spikes.

There are several bp meds which are extended release. They deliver the medication evenly over a period of time.

I know how horrid akathesia is. I had it on my taper. I didn't pace -- just couldn't sit still. I fidgeted. Couldn't lie still in bed. So I feel for you. FYI the first-line med for treating this is a beta blocker. So I would definitely pursue that with your doc. Doe she know about the akathesia?

If I were you I'd go back and see your doc. There will be something to help you -- both your bp and the akathesia, and no, it won't hurt your recovery.

Good luck.

Katz

Thank you, Katz.  I was on a bp med for 30 years, and it controlled my bp just fine.

After WD, it was giving me a horrific headache after taking.  I tapered off of it, and

a cardiologist said I could try a salt free diet to control my bp, so that's what I did.

I'm still salt free. I tried a few other bp meds, but they all exacerbated the akathisia.

That was five years ago, and now my bp has spiked up dramatically.

I will see my doctor again, and maybe suggest I try a beta blocker.  It's so hard to

know if I'm feeling effects of a bad wave, or effects of high bp.  I've never felt this

sick since WD started. 

Mawbeth,

I got the propranolol as it helps with the shaking, trembling and tremors, the physical symptoms of anxiety as this is the obly one which acts on the neutotramsmitters  .As Katz said you need to see your doctor and discuss your options. Let us know what's happening. I know how does this feel you cannot calm down. Go to your doctor as soon as you can.

Hang on there,

Cookiegirl

I've been on BP meds since I was 25 years old, before Benzos. I have always taken meds for this. Beta blockers have an advantage for those in bwd, as they might make you feel slightly more relaxed, just by lowering your heart rate. But none of these drugs should be taken lightly! Always be very careful what drugs you put in your healing body.

east

Thank you for the replies.  I feel so stuck, needing a bp med,

but don't feel very hopeful that I can find one I can tolerate.

I see my doctor next week, and will keep trying. 

Now I'm worried.  I was reading online about akathisia and came across

a list of drugs that can cause akathisia, and Calcium Channel Blockers was

on the list.  Ugh.  I think I'm going to ask my doctor to change me to a

beta blocker.  Have I messed up my recovery?

Dont worry about what you have read about Akathisia. I take Chlorpromazine which is an anti psychotic along with a beta blocker and have for months ive never experienced Akathisia and its a common side effect of using anti psychotic, esp the one im on. dont always believe what you read, u havent stuffed up your withdrawal in my opinion. 

Thank you so much for the replies.  My akathisia is just so intense.

I just want it to go away. I don't get a minute of peace until sometimes

at night.  I don't want to risk taking something that might prolong it.

Sorry that I'm kinda in a tailspin right now, hopefully this is a wave that

will pass.  Thanks all.

akathisia started in Jan 2014 when I got off Cymbalta.

I made  the bad decision to take some Klonopin for the insomnia.

I took them for a few months, about twice a week, mostly .25mg.

When I decided to stop them, not knowing I had become dependent,

things got worse than worse, and I've been in a nightmare ever since.

You might do some diaphragmatic breathing to calm down your nervous system and activate the parasympathetic nerves. Once you start feeling anxious, then take your bp and it goes up, it causes all the more anxiety and can be a vicious circle.

Here's something I received yesterday while at a hypnosis session (for my anxiety/blood pressure): When you detect a bodily reaction, tension anywhere - do the One Full Breath Technique. Take a deep breath, hold it for 5 seconds, exhale slowly and completely, dropping your shoulders, and squeezing out all the air out with your stomach muscles. Squeeze out the butterflies. Then let the air pop back in by relaxing the stomach muscles. Breathing lower in your abdomen a few times like that will help condition your body to stay physically relaxed in stressful situations. Repeat it often.

You can do this until you see the doctor and try another bp pill. Don't take your bp immediately after. Wait a bit. See if it goes down at all. It might help you. GOOD LUCK!!!