CBC: "Drug given to enhance MRI images under scrutiny over side-effects"

[La...]

Interesting!  Here’s what the U.S. FDA has to say on this subject as of June 2018:

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns that gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs) are retained in the body; requires new class warnings | FDA

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-warns-gadolinium-based-contrast-agents-gbcas-are-retained-body

I wonder if most people are aware of this. It's rather unnerving -- especially for people who require repeated tests, e.g. those with brain tumours.

.i had 4 sets of MRI's when they misdx'd me with "multiple sclerosis" but the "lesions"/scar tissue in my brain is where brain death ocurred and filled itself in with scar tissue. not from MS...the radiologist told me he thought it was caused by some medication i was taking (at the time only seroquel) and years later we find out it's true. when my dose dropped down from 400mg to under 100mg all of my supposed MS sx's disappeared! i mean i went from walker asssted to cane to eventually walking and dancing even...magic! lol no just tapering off the poison and beginning to heal naturally

my friend Chuck Norris and his then fiance/now wife bought me steak n lobster once before a Wilie Nelson concert with my karate teacher, storytime! and if you google "Chuck Norris wife gadolinium contrast dye lawsuit" you'll read about how they won. she is disabled...was wheelchair bound at one time. haven't seen them in a long time so dunno if she still is. but that dye they use to light up our brains, gadolinium, they SAID it was safe and clears the system in 24 hours...they LIED. now i know. at least i'm able bodied and healing.  we get heavy metal poisoning from the contrast dye and sometimes a lot of disabling SX's so buyer beware. trust your gut instincts. i do. (most of the time)

I wonder if most people are aware of this. It's rather unnerving -- especially for people who require repeated tests, e.g. those with brain tumours.

Unnerving indeed!  I don’t think most people are aware of this.  I certainly wasn’t ... until one of my physicians ordered an MRI with contrast.  I did my usual due diligence and then asked him if contrast was really necessary.  He said no. 

FYI I thought Table 1 in the FDA report was both interesting and helpful.  It lists FDA-approved gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs).  Different GBCAs result in different retention levels in the body after use.

Yes, I saw that, Libertas. Most lay people wouldn't likely take the time to get into that kind of detail, but it's good that the info is out there and available to those who do some research. Let's hope that the doctors are paying attention to these things too. It's their job.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting!  Here’s what the U.S. FDA has to say on this subject as of June 2018:

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns that gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs) are retained in the body; requires new class warnings | FDA

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-warns-gadolinium-based-contrast-agents-gbcas-are-retained-body

since i had 4 sets of mri's with gadolinium contrast, i wonder how much gadolinium that adds up to that may have built up in my brain?