Will tramadol mess with GABA receptors

[Po...]

I just had a painful dental procedure and my dentist prescribed me 50mg of Tramadol 4x per day. I’m only planning on taking it at bed time so I can sleep. Question: will tramadol mess with my gaba receptors? My understanding is that it won’t except in large doses???? Anyone had experience with it after being off benzos???

Pokey

Hi Pokey,

I doubt it will hurt you. I took it during the 6 months after going CT. I had fallen (I fainted, probably loiw blood pressure) and broke a rib. The NP gave me a script for Tramadol and it did help and it did NOT seem to affect my wd at all. Of course, I don't know how you will react! But its worth a trial run, IF you really do need pain meds.

Let me know how it goes, please.

east

[a8...]

I just had a painful dental procedure and my dentist prescribed me 50mg of Tramadol 4x per day. I’m only planning on taking it at bed time so I can sleep. Question: will tramadol mess with my gaba receptors? My understanding is that it won’t except in large doses???? Anyone had experience with it after being off benzos???

Pokey

How much did you take finally or are taking now?

Tramadol is a weird drug. It isn't quite a narcotic but it acts as one. I have to assume it is addictive. But if one only takes it for maybe a week, there should not be any bad consequences. We Benzo People tend to be overly cautious about taking a new drug, and rightfully so! All of us know how popping a pill got us into this mess and none of us want to repeat that again.

east

I took it very sparingly. Only at night, 50mg. My GP however says I can take 50mg at night for pain fairly regular, that I wont get hooked on it but it might not be effective over time. I will  NOT take it everyday or increase the dose beyond 1 tablet per day. Dont need another damn pill to taper off of.

Pokey: "Will tramadol mess with my gaba receptors?"

"Tramadol has not any effect on glycine receptors. GABA(A) receptors were significantly inhibited only at large concentrations".