Librium taper?

[wh...]

Hi all. I've joined to hopefully get some tapering advice. I have been taking clonazepam for 2 months at a low dose. During those months, I tried to take as little as possible to control my anxiety, which is horrible. I started at 1mg a day, and worked my way down to .25mg, but as soon as I hit .25, I started having horrible symptoms, and I believe I entered tolerance withdrawal. I have 1 .25 pill left, but I could not stabilize, and I have very important events coming in the next couple days.

So, I took myself to the ER, where I was prescribed 24 librium capsules. The problem is,  the capsules are 25mg, and I have no idea how to taper them, except to do a rapid taper, and jump off. I have done rapid tapers in detox before, and it didn't work out too well. If I can't handle jumping at .25 clonazepam, however will I manage 25mg of librium.

I could beg my psych for a valium taper, but I doubt he will agree to it, and I might not see him for 3 more weeks anyway.

I just don't know what to do. I think I'm screwed, and probably going to end up back in the psych ward soon. Anybody have any suggestions or ways to taper off librium capsules?

Thanks for reading.

Hi  whatevertodo :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

You've come to the right place for advices and information related to benzodiazepines. Anyone on benzos longer than short term, short term being (2 or3 weeks)  should taper off slow.  I suggest you do some research first before you decide on a taper plan.  We have a great community here of knowledgeable and friendly people who understand this process. Feel free to ask questions so that members can respond.

For tapering advice its generally recommended that you cut your daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days according to how you are feeling.  If things feel too tough then we suggest that you cut less.  The aim is to try and keep any symptoms manageable.

The  Ashton Manual , It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

Here are some helpful links:

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans   

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You might like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• 2 weeks later...
Update- I had almost finished  the librium when my psych finally responded to me. He refused to have anything to do with a valium taper and would not prescribe anymore benzos. Instead, he prescribed  gabapentin, and to my surprise and relief, I suffered minimal to no benzo withdrawal. Luckily, my usage was short term at low doses, or it might have been a different story. But, I'm off the benzos. Yay!!