how much physical activity is too much during Valium taper?

[jo...]

Just wondering from those of you who are tapering and engaging in physical activity, have had increased exhaustion and fatigue?

I have tapered down to almost 11 mg of Valium from 15 mg at a slow rate of .03 mg per day.  I have always been an outdoors athletic type of person, but lately it doesn't take much physical activity to wear me down and feel completely exhausted.  If I take it easy for a day or so, I am back to feeling fairly well.  Exercise is suppose to help during tapering, but how does one know how much is too much? 

When I c/o to Valium, I experienced sedation, which I expected.  Now that I have tapered nearly 4 mg I don't notice the sedation as much, but a couple hours of physical exertion knocks me on my butt for a while.  I have recently had a heart stress test that came back OK, so I am just wondering if this is a common sx with most people tapering from Valium or any benzo that engage in daily physical activity?

Keep up the fight and thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

JoJo 

I think it is a common Benzo withdrawal symptom in general. I am a cyclist, but sure have not been doing much due to the heat and for sure the withdrawal symptoms. I get fatigued very easy. I believe it is a good idea to give your body a rest and not to overdo it. I would usually take a day or 2 anyway to recuperate. Pace yourself and you will find your groove.  :)

Thanks Dana,

You are right, it takes a day or two to get feeling back to normal after vigorous activity.  The weird thing is that while I am engaged in the physical activity I feel great until I stop, that is when the exhaustion and fatigue set in.  It can be an hour activity or an all day event, but not long after I stop I know I will be in the recliner for a couple of days.  So far, one day of feeling normal by staying active is worth the next day of total rest.  I'll just have to see what happens when I get lower in my taper.  I may have to adjust my activity schedule, I just hope I don't have to stop it entirely. 

• 2 weeks later...
I was doing an hour a day of treadmill (30) minutes and then yoga and stretching for (30) min but after 2 days of that I would be exhausted, so I cut it back to 45 min total and can get more days in before I have to take a break.  :)

You’re all lucky you can do vigorous exercise at all. Jealous. I can only do slow walking , otherwise it ramps up anxiety and head pressure. You’re doing great. I can’t wait to get back to riding and hiking.

Lil

Not daily bc I work part time but my job is not sedentary. I walk frequently and sit some. But I tried walking on a treadmill 45 min, 3 days/wk. And yoga 1x/wk for 90 min. The activity definitely helped- I noticed it helped calm my heart rate and pounding. It helped my mood too. But if I did too much, my musclec sxs would get worse. So if u feel revved up, it’s too much. But start low and slow and slowly ramp up a bit gradually. Like microtapering in exercise. And pay attn- there will be times you have to dial back again. Exercise is important though and helps our healing... as long as u don’t overdo it and rev up sxs. It’s a fine line but you’ll find it. There’s a lot of info on exercisecon here- I think one of the stickies.

Thanks to all that replied.  I agree there is a fine line of overdoing it and making s/x worse.  With all us reacting differently, there is really no set pace for everyone.  It's like being a lab rat with everything we try.

JoJo

Thanks to all that replied.  I agree there is a fine line of overdoing it and making s/x worse.  With all us reacting differently, there is really no set pace for everyone.  It's like being a lab rat with everything we try.

JoJo

That is so true!!  ;)

I have been stretching and strengthening  due to hip bursitis  and muscle cramping. I do it everyday. I have to to heal the hip.  Veen walking too. Its not vigorous evercise but i am so tired. I feel as if i have the flu. My hip is healing tho.

I stopped a week ago because I was feeling horribly nausated. My gastritis is on fire...

Was doing eliptical and weights, now I’m sitting here depressed and doing nothing, thiinking this will kill me :(

Hope to be back to the eliptical machine on monday, exercise is definitely a good ally

I stopped a week ago because I was feeling horribly nausated. My gastritis is on fire...

Was doing eliptical and weights, now I’m sitting here depressed and doing nothing, thiinking this will kill me :(

Hope to be back to the eliptical machine on monday, exercise is definitely a good ally

[

Are you still taking fish oil? I might try to suspend that for a bit if you have gastritis. Especially if you have an ulcer. This happened to me many years ago.

[

Are you still taking fish oil? I might try to suspend that for a bit if you have gastritis. Especially if you have an ulcer. This happened to me many years ago.

oh wow. I intuitively suspended all of my supplements because of this...except collagen

what happened to you?

Blossom

I developed gastritis, but in hindsight I might have developed an ulcer. I ended up taking a stomach medication from a naturopathic doctor, which cured me in 2 months. I was taking vit c and fish oil. I noticed there was a warning to not take the fish oil if you have an ulcer.

The only thing I kept taking as vitamin E, which I eventually stopped taking as well and just replaced with avocados instead.