Diabetes

[Fl...]

I don't have diabetes but during my research on diets the topic has come up often. I suspect that I have been insulin resistant for some time and probably headed toward diabetes, so it really pisses me off to learn how this is "treated".

I have been saying for years now that if we can become extremely ill from a so called "safe" drug like benzos, what else are they lying to us about? Well it turns out benzos are just the tip of the iceberg. Entire industries that generate billions of dollars revolve not around cures, but around "symptom management", and diabetes is a prime example. It's hard to believe that the medical establishment can get away with recommending a diet that keeps people diabetic when reversing type 2 diabetes can be as simple as dietary changes for a lot of people.

Here is an interesting Ted talk on the subject-

My mother developed Type 2 diabetes when she became a bit obese, so they put her on either diabinese or tolinase, I forget which - maybe the one and then the other - and that's how she controlled her blood sugar while remaining obese. After a couple years of this she suddenly lost a lot of weight, and her blood sugar normalized, so that she didn't need to take the drugs any more. Unfortunately, the reason she lost the weight was that she had developed kidney cancer, which I believe was probably caused by the drugs, and which after a long and painful struggle finally took her life. But of course, it's easier to write a prescription for some drug than to monitor someone's diet, and it doesn't distract the doctor as much from his real estate investments and his beer bottle collection (which was her doctor's hobby, believe it or not). I blame her doctor for her death. He blew it at several stations along the way of that cross. But just look around here, at BenzoBuddies, and what do you see? So many people - I would say most - are still looking for just the right drug to get them through this ordeal. They're still pill-poppers. They've forgotten nothing and learned nothing.

I had weight lose surgery to lose weight which I did but My sugar got worse not better now insulin 4 times a day I may be a pill popper but I would like to live a few more years to be with My Family I want quality of life because you never know when God will call You home I'm afraid to leave My room to even go to the bathroom what kind of life is that so I'll be popping those pills as soon as I get them

I had weight lose surgery to lose weight which I did but My sugar got worse not better now insulin 4 times a day I may be a pill popper but I would like to live a few more years to be with My Family I want quality of life because you never know when God will call You home I'm afraid to leave My room to even go to the bathroom what kind of life is that so I'll be popping those pills as soon as I get them

My remark concerned people whose first impulse is to reach for a pill, and there are too many such people here and elsewhere. It had nothing to do with people who must take some drug as a last resort. I see from your previous posts that you have insulin-dependent diabetes - which does not normally respond to weight loss - and you've had insulin-dependent diabetes since before you even joined BenzoBuddies, so I can't quite figure out what pills you'll be popping as soon as you get them. And how does having insulin-dependent diabetes make you afraid to leave your room to go to the bathroom?

I'm trying to go back on my benzo because I'm in such a bad place in my life things I've already talked about deaths and illness I think that the underlying tone on the site is anti medicine they want you to live clean which I can't and your right I've had diabetes for 24 years not always insulin dependent I'm considered  type 2 even though my pancreas is dead and does not secret anymore insulin as you see on my line I have more than a few things wrong and I've had mental issues  since My early teens I don't want to die in this state I found my mom dead on her bedroom floor just over a year ago I can barely look in her bedroom it is a very small apartment when I go out My bedroom door hers is across from mine Many years ago My dog Brigadoon was barking to get out of My fathers bedroom when I opened the door he was face down on the corner of his bed dead I have faced the deaths of too many Relatives Some to the effects of diabetes tole on there bodies to die not being able to see the family have left because of a benzo I don't want to live afraid of leaving my room to just go to the bathroom My niece is very sick my aunt is 94 and sick shes been like my second mother that is where the popping pills comes from because of the benzos and my first instinct is to want a pill to help me be able to function like a normal person been in counseling for years and years it has never helped me and I will still be seeing someone

Unfortunately, the reason she lost the weight was that she had developed kidney cancer, which I believe was probably caused by the drugs, and which after a long and painful struggle finally took her life.

That is awful. My dad died of a brain bleed, likely the result of the blood thinners he was on. In his case the blood thinner might have actually prolonged his life, he had a quadruple bypass when he was in his early 50's, but who knows? The point is that drugs do all kinds of things to the human body, and they aren't always desirable or obvious.

But just look around here, at BenzoBuddies, and what do you see? So many people - I would say most - are still looking for just the right drug to get them through this ordeal. They're still pill-poppers. They've forgotten nothing and learned nothing.

This 100% true. It's scary to think that someone could experience this and still cling to the idea that "there is a pill for everything". I guess I am kinda guilty of this as well, when I first came off the drug I don't think I don't think I was able to fully comprehend how important it is to look at the big picture when it comes to health. Maybe it's hard to see when you are really sick, I dunno.

Nothing wrong with taking drugs if you have all of the facts and have weighed out the benefits and drawbacks, but we owe it to ourselves to make sure that we explore and weigh out all options, and unfortunately we can't always rely on doctors to give us all of the options. I just know that with diabetes it is unfathomable to me that there are people who have reversed type 2 diabetes by eating the right foods, yet most doctors go straight to the drugs and recommend a diet that makes the drugs safe to take while perpetuating the root cause. The worst part about it is that most patients aren't informed that there might be another way.

I worry about the bp drugs I'm taking ALL THE TIME. I was looking up Hydralazine yesterday and saw the word "fatal." Earlier in withdrawal I thought the more bp drugs the better because I had such bad spikes. Now I'm left with a bunch of pills that DO NOTHING for the spikes, but they do make me very dizzy, cause massive dehydration which can lead to kidney damage, and generally cause anxiety when they wear off, plus all the other side effects.

I have no recourse but to taper these pills very, very slowly, which will take years. My nephrologist has okayed doing that as I now have orthostatic hypotension.

If I'd known about benzos and bp drugs (as in they don't mix well at all for me), I could have avoided this damned mess...

It's interesting that as I taper down, my bp gets to the same low baseline all the time.

I wish I could eat it away but that didn't work for me my niece is on one pill and has great blood sugars my mom also got off her pills and had great blood sugars but a lot of My family weren't that lucky My grandmother took insulin when I was a kid my great aunt Barbara had type 1 and I do like food veggies and fruit meat potatoes and bread but most I miss dessert Just a big ol piece of cake or a muffin or a big piece of pie

Here is an interesting Ted talk on the subject-

By the way, that is a very good video, and well worth watching. The doctor's manic manner and annoying accent make it a bit of a challenge to get through it, but I just tried to imagine that I was reading it instead of listening to it, and it's very good information.

Here's another good TEDX talk, this one about the rejuvenating effects of fasting. Very interesting that fasting can also normalize blood sugar levels.

I wish I could eat it away but that didn't work for me my niece is on one pill and has great blood sugars my mom also got off her pills and had great blood sugars but a lot of My family weren't that lucky My grandmother took insulin when I was a kid my great aunt Barbara had type 1 and I do like food veggies and fruit meat potatoes and bread but most I miss dessert Just a big ol piece of cake or a muffin or a big piece of pie

Have you tried cutting out most of the carbs? Fruits and starchy foods also spike blood sugar, it isn't just high fructose corn syrup and cane sugar that's the problem. Check out diabetes videos on Youtube by Drs. Jason Fung and Ken Berry. They explain it in detail.

Terry,

I'm still praying for you.  I hope it's allowed me saying praying in PMS. Got in trouble for saying it in the rooms.  Again, Dr. Sinatra a Cardiologist of 40 plus years suggests supplements that help.  I'm taking them and they are helping me.  I just don't know what to advise you and want to see you better sooner than later. I was getting spikes but not so much since I started taking what Dr. Sinatra suggested.  It took a while, like months, but it is working good now.  I'm giving them to my hubby too and it works great for him too.  Dr. Sinatra also mentioned that these FOOD LIKE supplements can be taken while you are on Heart medications.  Worth watching him on YouTube.  Please don't be offended, I'm just trying in my ignorant way to get you back to health.  YOU ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR! 

Love,

Kimmie.

Kimmie, thank you, but I don't take supplements and I'm not on any heart medication. It's just the bp pills. I'm slowly tapering off. It's curious that my bp stays the same if I go slowly. In fact, I think I'll feel better the more I get rid of them. Too many side effects. It's just the spikes that I have to worry about, but I don't think taking a bp pill for it is helping. It just causes more havoc for my body.

• 3 weeks later...