Psychiatrist appointment sept 18

[In...]

I got my temazipam refill today. It lasts until roughly the end of August. Can anybody here tell me what tranquilizer for my insomnia my psychiatrist would likely give me in place of temazipam , at least until my appointment on sept 18, and possibly longer. Thank you, of. Insomniac31407

Insomniac

I am on Temazepam too.  I chose to stay with the same medication 15 mg Temazepam Ascend  manufacturer and  figure out a slow daily water micro taper plan for myself. One cannot substitute one medication for another. Careful. That’s the same as doing a cold turkey!!  Most doctors do not understand how Trumatic that is, and weren’t taught about doing a slow taper.  It’s good you’re doing research and getting input on the forums. To figure out what’s best for you. Some people switch to Valium but it’s a cross over method whereby one gradually reduces for example Temazepam and then adds small amount Valium equivalent at same time until Over a period of many weeks a person is at an equivalent of Valium.  Then may have to adjust to get stabilized before starting to taper off. It can take 6 to 8 weeks or so?  This is explained As per ashton manual.  the equivalent of 15 mg Temazepam is equal to approximately 7.5 mg of Valium medication.  What manufacture of Temazepam are you on? Can your doctor Continue to prescribe your same dose?

Hi mangogal. When I first went on temazipam, it was my sainted mother, who has the Wisdom of Solomon and the Patience of Job, and is the eternal optimist who did the initial research and informed me that temazipam was a short term prescription. I’m on 15 mg a night before bedtime. As for the manufacturer, I have no idea as to that.  I posted this after mom, ( who has the drivers license between us, I am legally blind to such an extent as to be unable to drive, and still live with my mother, and am an Aarp member btw, as is she) and I chatted and she said that my psychiatrist might not give me more temazipam, but would maybe give me something for sleep. And I got all kinda antsy , as I often get, all wound up over the least little thing. So you’re saying my dr. Will prescribe more temazipam, I can’t taper, because my temazipam is in capsule form. I was doing so well, then this chat with my mother got me paranoid. As for my dr being able to prescribe the same dose, I assume yes. My mother did the initial research, I did the secondary research.

A lot of people are prescribed Trazodone or Remeron. They’re antidepressants that are commonly prescribed off label in low doses for insomnia.

Hello Jrm , thanks for the info. Like I said, mom will call the psychiatrist when the temazipam starts running low , and he will know what to do, a lady at church, ( whom I’ve known years) says I should trust my psychiatrist.

insomniac, so you're saying you can't taper (due to the capsule form of temazepam) and you're willing to be switched to something else entirely, something non-benzo, even though on here you've been told that will constitute a cold turkey of temazepam?

You say you trust your psychiatrist . . . has he talked to you about this?

So you want to be switched to another "sleeping pill" because temazepam is a short term prescription? I guess I get that. And you want to substitute something else. But how do you intend to cope with the withdrawal symptoms if you are just yanked off temazepam? They are likely to be pretty severe, imo.

But then you say that you think your doc will prescribe the same dose of temazepam?

I guess I don't understand what your question is.

btw temazepam can be tapered off. mangogal is doing it. It is not very soluble in water, but it is somewhat more soluble in alcohol. Just open up your capsule, dump it in 5 ml of alcohol (Everclear is best), add 145 ml of water and you have a 1:1 solution you can taper from. Anyone of the liquid tapering boards will help you with a taper schedule.

Do you understand about the risks of just quitting temazepam? I'm concerned for you. Never mind "trusting your psychiatrist". Just Google cold turkey or abruptly quitting a benzo. As I said, I'm concerned for you.

Katz