thank you, Buddies

[ga...]

I took my last tiny dose of Librium this morning. I'm done! :balloon:

It is time to give credit where credit is due. I would not have made it without Benzo Buddies.

Colin, thank you for starting this forum.

Team, thank you for the time and energy you give so selflessly to keep this forum running.

Buddies, thank you for all you taught me and for letting me know that I was not alone.

Gard/Gardie :)

Well done, Gardie, and all credit to you for sticking with the long, arduous and harrowing journey.

I hope your path will be considerably smoother from now on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Well done, Gardie, and all credit to you for sticking with the long, arduous and harrowing journey.

You know I wish, with all my heart, the same for you, Fiona. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

You know I wish, with all my heart, the same for you, Fiona. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Aw, thank you so much.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I told my daughter I took my last dose of Librium. She asked if we should really celebrate now or wait to see if something bad would happen in the next week given Librium's long half-life. She asked wouldn't I need to reinstate if I got hit by a horrible wave? My understanding is the answer to that is ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Gard:

Cats all over are wearing happy hats for you. Congratulations!

http://www.thevbsc.net/pic/www.catsvscancer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/HAPPY-NEW-YEAR-CATS-kitty-party-hats.jpg

Katz

Congratulations Gardie, I knew it would happen soon.  So glad you finally did it. I agree with you, I owe all my support to BB, if it wasn't for them I would have never been able to taper.

Keep thinking positive, pushing forward, stay the course and know it'll get better. Keep us posted how you're doing.

Wishing you the best.

Gard:

Cats all over are wearing happy hats for you. Congratulations!

http://www.thevbsc.net/pic/www.catsvscancer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/HAPPY-NEW-YEAR-CATS-kitty-party-hats.jpg

Katz

Thanks, Katz! I love the pic. You made me smile. ;D

Congratulations Gardie, I knew it would happen soon.  So glad you finally did it. I agree with you, I owe all my support to BB, if it wasn't for them I would have never been able to taper.

Keep thinking positive, pushing forward, stay the course and know it'll get better. Keep us posted how you're doing.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks, caltn! We did it!! I will add some updates if I can find my thread. I do lose things. ::)  I'll keep an eye out for updates from you, too!

Only one problem with the cat's getting ready to celebrate Gard's jumping off Librium.  Gran's back!  I see her drunk already in the pink bowl.  Oh, dear.  I hope she doesn't ruin the purrtay.

Only one problem with the cat's getting ready to celebrate Gard's jumping off Librium.  Gran's back!  I see her drunk already in the pink bowl.  Oh, dear.  I hope she doesn't ruin the purrtay.

:laugh: Hopefully Gran is too far gone to even notice we are purr-taying. ;D

YAY!!!  Celebration thread!  Congrats again.  Tell your daughter there will be no wave and you can totally celebrate...and if a wave hits, you've got it under control. 

YAY!!!  Celebration thread!  Congrats again.  Tell your daughter there will be no wave and you can totally celebrate...and if a wave hits, you've got it under control.

Thanks, libr.  :smitten:

Congratulations Gard!  So thrilled for you to be benzo free, you did it!!  Hope you’re feeling good and everything just gets better and better  :smitten:  Cheers to your healing!

Love,

Uni ❤️

Congratulations Gard!  So thrilled for you to be benzo free, you did it!!  Hope you’re feeling good and everything just gets better and better  :smitten:  Cheers to your healing!

Love,

Uni ❤️

Thanks, Uni. As I posted on another thread, 1 day post-jump feels the same as 1 day pre-jump. Kind of anticlimactic, but that's what we want, right? :thumbsup:;D

Gardie :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Checking in to report that at 7 weeks post jump I've noticed a change for the better. 

Anxiety seems closer to pre-benzo anxiety. I'm having a big health problem right now, but my brain is not be overreacting to it. Whether this is a trend or a window, I'll take it!

I always find signatures helpful, so my taper is outlined in mine. I highly recommend a daily micro-taper and tapering to near zero at a pace that's reasonably comfortable. For me that was slow and long, but the results were worth it! :)

Again, thank you to all the buddies here. Traveling this path with you, rather than alone, made it possible for me to beat the benzo beast.

Congrats! would you suggest this even if you had to start off on quiet a large amount of librium? I'm on 3mg k, so that would be like 120 mgs. of librium.

Congrats! would you suggest this even if you had to start off on quiet a large amount of librium? I'm on 3mg k, so that would be like 120 mgs. of librium.

Thanks. You'll see in my signature that I started at 1.8mg of Xanax. I think that's close to where you are with the K.

If you're asking about the speed of my taper, yes, a slow micro taper. I started too fast, thinking I could be off in 4-6 months (as my doctor told me). I ended up having to hold for nearly a year to get stabilized. So, yes, I recommend slowly. I would start at 5%/month daily micro taper. If that goes well, up your speed a bit the next month, perhaps to 7%. If that goes well, up your speed again the next month, perhaps to 10%. And so on. It's much better than what I did, starting super fast, crashing, and then trying to recover.

If you're asking about crossing to L, I am an ultrafast metabolizer of V, so I chose L. V is easier to micro taper because it is stable as an aqueous liquid. L is not. I have lots of notes on micro tapering L in my p-log. If you're talking about crossing in general, I found L to be very depressing, as I think is typical of the really slow benzos. It was very, very rough until I got lower on the L. That's why I continued to taper even though I was a wreck after the cross. I was trying to shake off the debilitating depression.

I think I am also an ultra-fast metabolizer of X. I had to dose 6 times/day, and it just got to be too much. My life revolved around measuring and dosing. I think a key to this is trying to make sure your life doesn't revolve around your taper. So crossing was worth it to me.

I see you reinstated after a cold turkey. If you're feeling more and more stable from the reinstatement, I would do a good long hold to make sure you're got your feet solidly under you and then start up slowly as I described. My post-hold taper was hard but much less painful than my pre-hold taper. Also, I got my ducks in a row during my hold. I made stronger social contacts (I had recently moved across the state) and learned MBSR. Highly recommend it! Just google it. There are apps that teach it now, too. Insight Timer has some MBSR body scans that are great.

Gardener99- do you have the MTHFR mutation? If so, 1 copy or 2?  You mentioned being a fast metabolized of X and V.  Does MTHFR mutation make ppl slow metabolizes of drugs or can it make one fast too?  I always associated the mutation with not being able to metabolize the drug fast enough. I have 2 copies of the mutation and I generally metabolize drugs slowly- they last longer in my body. I’ve never been tested for metabolism of drugs- just basing it on experience. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the subject. There some hypothesis I see floating around at times that MTHFR mutation may make ppl more likely to end up dependent on meds. Any thoughts?

Gardener99- do you have the MTHFR mutation? If so, 1 copy or 2?  You mentioned being a fast metabolized of X and V.  Does MTHFR mutation make ppl slow metabolizes of drugs or can it make one fast too?  I always associated the mutation with not being able to metabolize the drug fast enough. I have 2 copies of the mutation and I generally metabolize drugs slowly- they last longer in my body. I’ve never been tested for metabolism of drugs- just basing it on experience. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the subject. There some hypothesis I see floating around at times that MTHFR mutation may make ppl more likely to end up dependent on meds. Any thoughts?

I don't know if I have that or not. I've heard of it, but I don't understand it.

I had genetic testing done for liver enzymes. Lots of these meds are processed through the liver. I was only able to test for 2 of them, so I don't have a complete profile. I am ultrafast (same fast allele from both parents) for some meds and non-functioning (same defective allele from both parents) for others. The ultra-fast gene is fairly common. The defective gene is uncommon. I was very unlucky. I've had horrible med reactions, even life-threatening, because of this defective gene all my life but never knew the cause until I had the testing. Doctors who prescribed the meds denied they caused the reactions, of course, but now I know better.