Anyone diagnosed with Seborrhoeic Dermatitis after Benzo WD

[pi...]

Anyone diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis?

I was diagnosed with this recently. Unknown cause, apparently an immune issue. Great. More mystery disease stuff.

Hey Pinky!

I seem to be following you around today  ;)

I don't think seborrhoeic dermatitis is anything to worry about, it is a very common skin condition that's often linked to fatigue and stress. Does it cause an itchy flaky scalp? Or do you get it elsewhere on your body? As a matter of fact, I've noticed it had been revving up recently on my scalp. I used to treat the flare ups with T-gel shampoo but recently discovered that the active ingredient in it, coal tar, which is 'natural', may be linked to cancer - and what's to make matters worse, Neutrogena put parabens in their shampoo! So I guess I'm going to try to give it a little time... as with everything else... try not to fret over the chaos of my life...  :crazy:

LOL...

Hugs to you!

Julz

I wasn’t diagnosed but I definitely have something like it. My face is a peeling red itchy mess with little blister things. It’s constantly irritated.

i have something like this i had a rash for over a year since getting off klonopin, no one knows what it is or whats causing it been to doctor everything i have on face ,chest ,back .

I have it just behind my left ear. It went away for a long time after I got off Valium, but now it's back. You could try an anti-dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders to see if it helps.

Anybody can get seb derm, even babies (often referred to as cradle cap). It's not autoimmune. It's simply your immune systems reaction to a certain fungus that lives on all of us. Some people develop this type of inflammation, others don't. Please don't worry about it at all. It's not an indicator of your overall health. Although I would believe that the withdrawal does mess with our immune system to some degree that it makes you more sensitive to outside stimuli.you could have still developed seb derm even if you were never on benzos. I agree that using head and shoulders well help. Pour it on your scalp and let it fall down your face, leave it on your skin for 5 min before rinsing. Do this daily for 2 weeks and then switch to monthly as preventative. I hope that makes sense and helps!

PT  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, and countless tests have shown it's not being caused by any fungus, bacteria, virus or anything else they can detect.

It started in Jan 2019, almost overnight. I used to have the smoothest skin, for somebody my age (50), and then it just started flaking and peeling off my torso and arms. Every couple of weeks there would be a new shedding, and I looked like I was covered in snow.

It didn't itch, and there was none on my scalp. I was asked over and over again if I was using harsh soaps etc etc, and I kept saying no, and that nothing had change in my life except for bento withdrawal. Every doctor and dermatologist I saw said that WD couldn't possibly be the cause. But they have no answers.

Saw a 'top' dermatologist and he just told me to apply urea cream. When I went back two months later to tell him that it hadn't worked, he said to try for longer. Clearly, he didn't have a clue what was causing it, and his wishful thinking that more urea cream would solve it was misguided, I believe.

This was, I should add, after all tests (for causes from liver failure to cancer and many others), and even trying anti-fungals, scrubs, etc, despite no fungal growth showing up.

So, I cannot help but thinking WD has something to do with it. It's pretty hideous and even though washing in oily lotions, and applying creams, etc, can make it less obvious, its there all the time and it makes me feel repulsive.

I have this, mainly on my scalp. Used to be on my forehead too. It started about a year after I came off clonazepam. Still have it. Dermatologist told me to get more sun. Imagine that. A dermatologist recommending more sun. This just gets stranger and stranger. I think it was caused by antibiotics disrupting my natural microbial biota, and not just in the gut, because it happened after I was put on a few courses of antibiotics after benzo withdrawal, for things totally unrelated to benzos. But still, it seems that benzos must have something to do with it too.

I have it on my scalp. Never had it until late taper. It started three months before I jumped from valium, in the midst of cutting .25 mg every two weeks.