What can we expect in detox next week ?

[ne...]

Looking for information on medical protocols  used in detox facilities and whether safe for my adult son's detox from illicit use of xanax at 10 mg day for several months. He cant taper as no supply or rx. He also on a maintenance suboxone with Dr. Perscription for that which he intends to keep taking through the xanax detox. After benzo detox he set to enter a months long rehab program to get off the suboxone. This program will not allow entry if patient has any benzos on board. He is afraid he wont survive the xanax detox as he (and I) have read so much about the risks. I hope to find some info on what he can expect -hopefully something to alleviate the fear-some suggestions for how to get through it.  He was told by admissions at detox facility the detox could take up to 14 days. We are both so afraid .

Hello nevermores,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Your son is in a difficult place right now after taking such high doses of unpresribed xanax.  Cold turkey off that amount can be very rough, cold turkey off any amount can be tough, I know from experience. It's likely they will give him adjunct medications to avoid seizures. 

Detox is really just a cold turkey and is not recommended for benzo withdrawal. Is there any possible way to find a doctor that would allow your son to taper at a reasonable rate?

People survive cold turkey, you'll find members here who have gone through that process. We have a dedicated board for those who have experienced a cold turkey, detox and rapid withdrawal. I'll give you a link to the board so you can communicate with others in the same situation.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field. Perhaps you can print off the pertinent pages and take it to the doctor.

You'll find a lot of good information here as well as support for both you and your son. Withdrawal can be challenging for some of us.  I hope there is some way you can find a doctor to work with you and your son on a proper taper. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you pianogirl for your kind advice. I have the Ashton Manul and actually read some to our son in the weeks prior so he would understand the physiology of withdrawal so he would know that some of the most frightenig symtoms are signs the brain is begining the healing process. Our son's suboxone dr was not willing help and we are in a relativy small town with few resources so looked and asked all round with no results. He had to go to ER as bp became critical and other withdrawal symptoms were not managable at home.From there he went to the detox in patient facility with a subsequent ER visit from there for delerium.  Now back at dètox facility and having very rough time, being treated with anticonvulsants and Haldol - and other meds including his suboxone. he has clocked 3 days in the detox facility and today he was looking a tad better relative to yesterday when he appeared to be in a near catatoinic state uttering only fear laden nonesense. Presumably  from the Haldol. We were advised that despite all this he was medically stable. Today he appeared to be himself with no hallucinations. He said the adjunct meds have allowed him to get a few hours sleep, but still zero appetite and excruciating muscle pain, especially in his legs, constant twitching/jerking and deep anxiety and fear. Yet, this is an improvement over the previous 3 days.  Ill take this to the rapid detox boardas advised.

Thanks again for your kind help and for allowing me vent.

Nevermores