using 190 proof grain alcohol, what ratio for klonopin solution?

[no...]

(i may have asked this before but i couldn't find it so i'm asking again...)

my Hubbs bought a bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol Mohawk brand, so if i use it to dissolve my clonazepam tablets, what ratio of alcohol to H2O should i use since the alcohol is way higher % than vodka?

i take 1mg clonazepam total daily dose.

i've heard for vodka you use 2ml vodka + 8ml H2O + 1mg clonazepam

would using 190 proof grain alcohol be less, more like 1ml of 190 proof + 9ml H2O +1mg clonazepam? or even less, maybe .5ml of 190 proof alcohol solvent?

any help is very greatly appreciated.

got my dr approval to begin my clonazepam switch to liquid on monday  :thumbsup:

Curious, if your doctor is willing to switch you to liquid why make your own? I do not know the answer to your question, but I’m sure someone will chime in... I would say however a lesser proof may taste better lol? I would imagine at least.

Curious, if your doctor is willing to switch you to liquid why make your own? I do not know the answer to your question, but I’m sure someone will chime in... I would say however a lesser proof may taste better lol? I would imagine at least.

oh she doesn't know about making compounded liquids or solutions or suspensions. she's taking notes as i learn from BB and pass it on to her for her future tapering patients. she's my student so rt of lol. but the reason i make my own is i'm extremely picky about accuracy and consistency which compounding pharmacies are notoriously not. also the insurance wont pay for me to taper off using liquid. and i dont trust the math and mistakes of a rushed overworked underpaid compounding pharmacist who may or may not be the same person each month. they already shot me down (one compounding pharmacist) fore taking a long sweet time to taper off an antipsychotic, basically calling me a p**sy for going slow and listening to my body sxs and BB. so there's that.

if i need a less proof alcohol i'll buy it, just need to know which is best/most effective. can't/won't do fatty milks or even vegan nut milks due to cost and fatty mil;ks clash with citrus/acidic juices used to mask tast of other meds in suspension agents. kinda like lemon juice in milk..curdle effect yuk.

thax for input

my Hubbs bought a bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol Mohawk brand, so if i use it to dissolve my clonazepam tablets, what ratio of alcohol to H2O should i use since the alcohol is way higher % than vodka?

would using 190 proof grain alcohol be less, more like 1ml of 190 proof + 9ml H2O +1mg clonazepam? or even less, maybe .5ml of 190 proof alcohol solvent?

got my dr approval to begin my clonazepam switch to liquid on monday  :thumbsup:

For simplicity, you want to end up with a .1mg=1ml solution, so with 190 proof alcohol, use this ratio:

1mgK : 1ml alcohol : 9ml water.

Once you dilute with 8 or 9 parts water, taste isn't really a concern.

Once you dilute with 8 or 9 parts water, taste isn't really a concern.

I thought about that after I typed. But 190 proof sounded intense lol

For simplicity, you want to end up with a .1mg=1ml solution, so with 190 proof alcohol, use this ratio:

1mgK : 1ml alcohol : 9ml water.

thx Builder. i just wanted to make sure since 190 proof grain alcohol is 95% alcohol vs 80 proof vodka whic is only 40% alcohol, sems like there is a BIG difference. but the way you explained it is simple and i like simple!  :thumbsup:  makes sense to me.

I use Everclear as well and take Clonazepam 0.5 mg.  I just use 0.5 ml vodka and 10 ml's of water. I've been doing it this way for two years and no problems for me.  I cannot taste the alcohol when all the liquid gets added and I still have the same bottle of Everclear. I'm thinking it will last for the duration of my taper.  Builder has great advice and a lot of experience with this... good person to listen to.  Good luck to you!  :smitten:

I use Everclear as well and take Clonazepam 0.5 mg.  I just use 0.5 ml vodka and 10 ml's of water. I've been doing it this way for two years and no problems for me.  I cannot taste the alcohol when all the liquid gets added and I still have the same bottle of Everclear. I'm thinking it will last for the duration of my taper.  Builder has great advice and a lot of experience with this... good person to listen to.  Good luck to you!  :smitten:

hey Rockin RaquelRocks! i forgot to thank you on the last post i think it was the Wildflower by the Cult post...anyways yes!!

i agree Builder is sort of the "go to man" when it comes to tapering benzos especially schedules and ratios. he's helped me before in my many exasperating questions about it, and now i understand the math perfectly.

i'm heading out to buy my fancy 1 cup measuring cup in an hour so i can officially start the crossover to liquid clonazepam on monday...then after i make sure i'm stable and no crossover sxs remain, i'll start the real taper reductions following the dlmt math...mine will be a rate of 1% instead of the 2.5% i am currently tapering my antipsychotic at. i feel no rush to taper the 1mg clonazepam, but according to the taper calculater, if i don't experience any HOLDS (which i am sure that i actually will lol), it will take 368 days to finish the clonazepam taper...doesn't matter to me though. it could take a year or 3 years, as long as i get off it i will be happy.

if i were to only use 1/2 of a ml (0.5ml) of the everclear like you do, and add 10ml H2O, wouldn't that throw off my math/ratio of 1ml=1mg when i go to make my 10 day supply? i think Builder was trying to say that...or do you not make a several days supply at once, rather than just making it everyday?

hmm i guess if i did 0.5ml everclear and 9.5ml H2O it would still be 1ml=1mg clonazepam...??? Builder? what do you say, is this correct?

i find making a couple of weeks of my antipsychotic medication liquid saves me a lot of time and worry, even though i still draw out the 3 doses each day from the bottle with my syringe and put them in their lil jars with juice, i do it in one sitting all at once, once a day and it takes me like 5 minutes. i have 3 meds to taper, but currently only doing liquid for 2 of them. maybe by new year's i'll be ready to add the gabapentin liquid taper, depends on sxs.

mwah! :smitten:

hmm i guess if i did 0.5ml everclear and 9.5ml H2O it would still be 1ml=1mg clonazepam...??? Builder? what do you say, is this correct?

Yes, if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution.

But as I say over and over, consistency is much more important the accuracy.  If you followed Raquel's approach of .5 solvent + 9ml water, then you get .105mg=1ml.  That's so close it wouldn't make any difference, and if you do it the same way all the time, it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

"Yes, if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Yes, if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the conformation, but the rest of my post is equally important, IMO:

But as I say over and over, consistency is much more important the accuracy.  If you followed Raquel's approach of .5 solvent + 9ml water, then you get .105mg=1ml. That's so close it wouldn't make any difference, and if you do it the same way all the time, it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Yes, if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution.

But as I say over and over, consistency is much more important the accuracy.  If you followed Raquel's approach of .5 solvent + 9ml water, then you get .105mg=1ml.  That's so close it wouldn't make any difference, and if you do it the same way all the time, it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Per Raquel ... “I use Everclear as well and take Clonazepam 0.5 mg.  I just use 0.5 ml vodka and 10 ml's of water.”  Wouldn’t that result in a solution that is .0476 mg per ml (0.5/10.5)?

just to be clear...

using 1mg klonopin + 0.5ml everclear 190 proof + 9.5ml H2O = 1mg klonopin per 1ml ...is this correct?

(because if it is correct, then that's what my formula will be to make my 10, or 14 days' supply, respectively, as follows:)

10mg klonopin + 5ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 95ml H2O = 100ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 10 day supply.

12mg klonopin + 6ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 114ml H2O = 100ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 14 day supply...(which fits neatly into my little 4 ounce/118ml pharmacy bottles.  :) )

i just want to make sure the confusion over Raquel's formula/ratio was not somehow affecting my math as outlined above. if her formula works for her then i think that is great, but for my personal formula i would like the 1ml to always =1mg of medicine. maybe Raquel makes only a days' dose/s at a time and is not affected by the math for making several days solution in advance like mine. but just to save time and make measuring my doses easier i prefer to make a 2 week's supply at a time.

just to be clear...

using 1mg klonopin + 0.5ml everclear 190 proof + 9.5ml H2O = 1mg klonopin per 1ml ...is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

hey Rockin RaquelRocks! i forgot to thank you on the last post i think it was the Wildflower by the Cult post...anyways yes!!

i agree Builder is sort of the "go to man" when it comes to tapering benzos especially schedules and ratios. he's helped me before in my many exasperating questions about it, and now i understand the math perfectly.

i'm heading out to buy my fancy 1 cup measuring cup in an hour so i can officially start the crossover to liquid clonazepam on monday...then after i make sure i'm stable and no crossover sxs remain, i'll start the real taper reductions following the dlmt math...mine will be a rate of 1% instead of the 2.5% i am currently tapering my antipsychotic at. i feel no rush to taper the 1mg clonazepam, but according to the taper calculater, if i don't experience any HOLDS (which i am sure that i actually will lol), it will take 368 days to finish the clonazepam taper...doesn't matter to me though. it could take a year or 3 years, as long as i get off it i will be happy.

if i were to only use 1/2 of a ml (0.5ml) of the everclear like you do, and add 10ml H2O, wouldn't that throw off my math/ratio of 1ml=1mg when i go to make my 10 day supply? i think Builder was trying to say that...or do you not make a several days supply at once, rather than just making it everyday?

i find making a couple of weeks of my antipsychotic medication liquid saves me a lot of time and worry, even though i still draw out the 3 doses each day from the bottle with my syringe and put them in their lil jars with juice, i do it in one sitting all at once, once a day and it takes me like 5 minutes. i have 3 meds to taper, but currently only doing liquid for 2 of them. maybe by new year's i'll be ready to add the gabapentin liquid taper, depends on sxs.

mwah! :smitten:

I think Builder already answered and again he is correct.  :angel:  By the time I add the rest of the liquid to my solution it makes no difference regarding the ml's of water.  I am making a batch that lasts for a week but I was referring to each 0.5 mg pill.  In other words, I use 0.5 ml's of Everclear for each pill, let each pill dissolve in about 10 ml's of water (about 10 minutes) and then add 100 ml's of water (per pill).  I don't do math so like Builder says consistency is what matters.  I have always used the same beginning amount of Clonazepam, Everclear and water.  I am consistently taking less and less daily which works for me.  The math screws with my head.  Lol.  You are awesome and I agree with you... don't rush your taper.  You do what works for you.  I've been doing this since 2017 and if I don't hold I will be done next year around May.  :thumbsup::smitten:

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

Wouldn't this equal .1mg per 1ml, instead of 1mg per 1ml?

With the way I'm currently thinking, I may be way off though!

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

...no wait...OMG i think you're right! ...if...

1mg clonazepam +10ml (total volume) = 1mg per 10ml

then wouldn't it be...  0.1mg per 1ml ???

and if this is correct, then wouldn't:

1mg clonazepam + 0.05ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 0.95ml H2O = 1mg clonazepam per 1ml total volume  ~or~  1mg/1ml ?

if so then... my new formula to make my 10, (or 14 days' supply), respectively, would be as follows:                                       

10mg klonopin + .5ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 9.5ml H2O = 10ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 10 day supply.

12mg klonopin + .6ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 11.4ml H2O = 12ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 14 day supply...

did i just avoid making a humongous mistake in my taper?

i hope i didn't piss anybody off but it looks to me like Al Sharp is correct... can someone else corroberate this or correct me if Al Sharp's math is wrong?

i seriously need to get this sorted out soon because i almost started this taper yesterday but am SOOO glad now i postponed it. i am now sooo confused as to how i'm going to do this... what is my schedule going to look like now with the new math? is the new math or the old math even correct? ugh anxiety

just to be clear...

p:

Yes, that's correct.

1mg clonazepam + 0.05ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 0.95ml H2O = 1mg clonazepam per 1ml total volume  ~or~  1mg/1ml ?

if so then... my new formula to make my 10, (or 14 days' supply), respectively, would be as follows:                                       

10mg klonopin + .5ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 9.5ml H2O = 10ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 10 day supply.

12mg klonopin + .6ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 11.4ml H2O = 12ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 14 day supply...

i hope i didn't piss anybody off but it looks to me like Al Sharp is correct... can someone else corroberate this or correct me if Al Sharp's math is wrong?

i seriously need to get this sorted out soon because i almost started this taper yesterday but am SOOO glad now i postponed it. i am now sooo confused as to how i'm going to do this... what is my schedule going to look like now with the new math? is the new math or the old math even correct? ugh anxiety

Just to clear my part up.  I don't add 100 ml's of water to the beaker. I fill the beaker up to the 100 ml line.  So I have the 0.5 mg pill,  the 0.5 ml's of alcohol depending on how many pills I'm using in each batch and then fill it up with the remaining liquid after the alcohol does it's magic with the pill.  So everything adds up to 100 ml's per 0.5 mg pill.  Hope that helps.  The math makes no difference to me except for recording my progress here.  I am consistently doing the same thing and drinking LESS of the liquid daily.  :thumbsup

Just to clear my part up.  I don't add 100 ml's of water to the beaker. I fill the beaker up to the 100 ml line.  So I have the 0.5 mg pill the 9-10 ml's of alcohol and then fill it up after the alcohol does it's magic with the pill.  So everything adds up to 100 ml's.  Hope that helps.  The math makes no difference to me except for recording my progress here.  I am consistently doing the same thing and drinking LESS of the liquid daily.  :thumbsup

Given that Buddies often look through old posts for guidance, I want to double-check that you are using 9 to 10 mLs of alcohol to dissolve 0.5 mg of clonazepam.  That’s much more than what is typically suggested.

that is wayyyy too much alcohol to dissolve only a 0.5mg pill of clonazepam!

just to be clear...

p:

Yes, that's correct.

Just to clear my part up.  I don't add 100 ml's of water to the beaker. I fill the beaker up to the 100 ml line.  So I have the 0.5 mg pill the 9-10 ml's of alcohol and then fill it up after the alcohol does it's magic with the pill.  So everything adds up to 100 ml's.  Hope that helps.  The math makes no difference to me except for recording my progress here.  I am consistently doing the same thing and drinking LESS of the liquid daily.  :thumbsup

Dear Raquel,

please do not post about YOUR formula and ratios in a quoted post of MY formula and ratios becasue it is extremely confusing since you use a totally different dose of med and ratio/formula for your liquid. i love ya, please don't be offended, i just need this to be clear and avoid further confusion okay? love to you!  :smitten: 

and now to address the issue with Builder....in a separate post. sigh.(not looking forward to this....)

and now to address the issue with Builder....in a separate post. sigh. (not looking forward to this....)

okay so here's what is bothering me:

i asked on this thread for help with checking and double checking my math in taper schedules and taper math so that i could safely begin my clonazepam taper. i was told Builder is the expert.  he (i mean you, Builder as this is about you) has helped me in the past with varying levels of aggravation and patience and so i knew that i could approach again for his expert advice without fear.  so on this thread i posted:

the parts underlined are conflicting

so i posted again to clarify:

just to be clear...

(because if it is correct, then that's what my formula will be to make my 10, or 14 days' supply, respectively, as follows:)

10mg klonopin + 5ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 95ml H2O = 100ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 10 day supply.

12mg klonopin + 6ml everclear 190 proof alcohol + 114ml H2O = 100ml total volume, with 1mg per 1ml, for a 14 day supply...(which fits neatly into my little 4 ounce/118ml pharmacy bottles.  :) )

i just want to make sure the confusion over Raquel's formula/ratio was not somehow affecting my math as outlined above. if her formula works for her then i think that is great, but for my personal formula i would like the 1ml to always =1mg of medicine. maybe Raquel makes only a days' dose/s at a time and is not affected by the math for making several days solution in advance like mine. but just to save time and make measuring my doses easier i prefer to make a 2 week's supply at a time.

the underlined parts in the above quote are the important ones where i restate my 1mg/1ml goal and also my erroneous math...which Builder said yes is correct again

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

but then, Al Sharp noticed the discrepancy and brought it to our attention: (his part underlined)

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

so i went and scratched my head like a monkey doing a math puzzle (because that's what i feel like) and then checked and rechecked the "new math" with my Hubbs and another calculator and came up with the same answer as Al Sharp did. which meant that my original math, that i posted above and asked for verification on from Builder, was totally wrong. drastically wrong. like so wrong that if i'd gone ahead and mixed my 10 day supply using the formula that i was told by Builder was correct, i would have been actually taking 1/10 or one tenth of my actual dose and that would have landed me in the nearest hospital in probably about 2 days. i was really shocked, how could this happen? there must be some mistake. probably mine. so i sent him a message off the main thread, to let him speak for himself. it's a copied quote of the stuff i already posted but together in one post for continuity. this is what i sent:

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

(also...in your experience with dissolving multiple pills at once for a 10 day supply, how many ml of alcohol do you find the minimum that works? my pills are the 0.5mg size, so a 10 day supply or 10mg is actually 20 pills.)

thx Builder

and his message back to me: (underlining by me)

1) it's NOT about dissolving "tablets", its about dissolving the active ingredient, benzodiazepine.  The ratio will always relate to milligrams of benzo to milliters of solvent.  It has nothing to do with how many tablets you dissolve, or what the dose rating of the tablets is.  For example, 10mg of diazepam would require 20mls of vodka or PG, whether its 5X 2mg tablets, or 1 10mg tablet.

2)  If you are using 80 proof vodka or PG, you must use 2mg of solvent for each 1mg of benzo.

3), If you use 190 proof Everclear, you can definitely dissolve 1mg of benzo in 1ml of Everclear. It might be possible to use even less everclear, but I don't know that.  I would use the safe ratio of 1mg benzo:1ml Everclear.

4)  And in every case, I would diliute with enough water to make a final concentration of .1mg per ml.  So with vodka or PG, the ratio would be 1mg + 2ml solvewnt + 8 ml water.

If you do Everclear, then it would be 1mg + 1ml everclear + 9ml water.

so now Builder states to make my solution using everclear in the correct formula. that's great! but what about the times (very tediously outlined in the preceding posts from the public thread and personal message) where the wrong formula/math is told to me by Builder repeatedly "yes, that is correct" ?? why is there no clear admission that my original math was incorrect and that his subsequent statements of my incorrect math as being correct were...INCORRECT? lol , i'm only laughing because this is so not funny to me that it is darkly funny in a morbid sort of black humor way.

the entire point of this is to show that i asked an expert source on this forum, which is beloved by most including myself, for his help to make sure i didn't accidentally poison myself, or...as in this case, give myself one tenth of my dose, a 90% reduction on day one! and end myself up back in a mental hospital where they would very likely increase my dose of seroquel back to where it was pre-taper 2 1/2 years ago and also my clonazepam and other meds and add in god only knows what else as they always did everytime i was admitted..i would be in worse shape than i started and the last 2 1/2 years of hard work that i've done would've been undone in a day. mental hospitals are great for that. on another note, i also would have wasted 10 days supply (20 pills) of clonazepam medication made into the wrong formula of liquid and i don't have any extras stashed. insurance keeps a tight track of how many pills of this class schedule of drugs that you have. so perhaps you can see why this is bothering me?

it bothers me because this involves a humongous error...not a minor one that would not be felt for days or would correct or balance itself out or any of the other excuses i've read...this errror was only a decimal off, but unfortunately that tiny little dot would have meant the difference between me being safe and sane and well, and me being unsafe, insane and very sick indeed.

why didn't i get a simple, "oh you know what? you're right, i wrote that wrong, it would NOT be 1mg per 1ml the way you wrote the formula, it would be .1mg per 1ml" or something like that. why? i mean, i asked repeatedly for confirmation or correction and was repeatedly given the wrong info which i took as true because of the reputation as expert on tapering and scheduling math on this forum. i feel very glad that i did not begin my taper on schedule as i had planned because if i had...well. i've already explained why i think that would've been a disaster. now i just feel let down. perhaps the lesson for me in this is to not place too much faith in what anyone says because their reputation is awesome or not to put people on a pedestal because people are not infallible. but i still feel let down.

just to be clear...

Yes, that's correct.

hey AL, thanks for catching that error before i messed up real bad!

so if i do:

1mg clonazepam +1ml everclear +9ml H2O,

which makes a solution of 1mg per 10ml

in other words 0.1mg clonazepam per 1ml or

0.1mg/1ml ....

does a 10 day supply of this look like:

10mg clonazepam +10ml everclear +90ml H20 = 10mg clonazepam per 100ml for a 10mg/100ml (1mg/10ml = .1mg/1ml )  ???

and if i got that right then:

how do i figure the math to get my .25mg, .25mg and 0.5mg daily doses?  how many ml of the solution above = .25mg and my later dose of 0.5mg?

(i understand the part about adding the total daily dose of med to the measuring cup and adding H2O to =1 cup & dividing the total 1 cup into 3 doses as 1/4 , 1/4, and 1/2 cup doses)

and the next question of course, is: what does the daily schedule reducing at the rate of 1% every 6 weeks look like in numbers?

nomoredrugs,

Builder stated twice:

"For simplicity, you want to end up with a .1mg=1ml solution, so with 190 proof alcohol, use this ratio:

1mgK : 1ml alcohol : 9ml water."

before you incorrectly interjected, eliminating the decimal point:

STILL, builder comes back AGAIN and states correctly:

"if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution.

But as I say over and over, consistency is much more important the accuracy.  If you followed Raquel's approach of .5 solvent + 9ml water, then you get .105mg=1ml."

AGAIN, it is reiterated in the next three posts the EXACT same thing (you in red, builder in black):

" hmm i guess if i did 0.5ml everclear and 9.5ml H2O it would still be 1ml=1mg clonazepam...??? Builder? what do you say, is this correct?

"if you use .5ml solvent, then you would need to add 9.5ml water to have a .1mg=1ml solution."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:"

Unbelievably, you draw this out yet ANOTHER time with YOUR incorrect assertion:

"just to be clear...

using 1mg klonopin + 0.5ml everclear 190 proof + 9.5ml H2O = 1mg klonopin per 1ml ...is this correct?"

How many times do you need to be told?  It was you who posited the incorrect formula and builder kept correcting you.  It seems that only in the end, when builder had been badgered enough, did he just give in and say:

"Yes, that is correct."

probably not even checking for the decimal point that you never included from his original formula.

I think that you got a bit melodramatic in your final response to builder.  If you look back, it was you who changed builder's formula while he kept responding with the correct placement of the decimal point.

And remember, builder is no doctor.  You should be running these formulations past your doctor while you are teaching her to treat benzo w/d in upcoming patients.

Don't feel let down, nomoredrugs.  It was just a decimal point that you forgot to include and if you would have followed builder's original instructions, you wouldn't have found yourself in the mess that you created for yourself.

Good luck with your taper!

All is well.

Peace

Al