9 years later

[ic...]

Hi everyone,

It's been a really long time. Let me say I'm thrilled to see this forum is still up and running, because it literally saved my life.

I came back today because a co-worker told me she has been taking Clonazepam for 2 years every nite before bed. It was so hard to listen to, and even harder to respond without sounding judgmental, or deterring her from what she thinks is working for her.  I tried my best to give her my abbreviated story, and she is going to speak to her doctors. So we will see. Listening to her and talking about my experience made me think about all the others, and this forum, so I wanted to stop by.

When I was on here, it helped me tremendously to read the success stories, so I thought I'd check in - 9 years after I tapered - to let you know I'm fine. I never went back on Lorazepam, although in rare certain trying times I often thought and wanted "just one pill" to help me thru. I'm convinced I have a genetic predisposition to anxiety, its physiological, and my symptoms were bolstered when I was younger - before it was recognized as a treatable or manageable condition. Not like today, where everyone has anxiety and gets help one way or another.  BUT, I never did go back on anti-anxiety meds, and the feeling would pass if I settled, distracted, and grounded myself. I learned tremendous coping skills going thru withdrawal, its a bit ironic. I also, once healed, worked super hard, I mean really hard, at figuring out what causes my anxiety. I mean the real, rooted reasons - not just circumstances (crowded room, public speaking...). Its hard work, and I really needed to pay attention to myself, my feelings, and slow down and focus on my thoughts and fears. Or else they would race and skip the important stuff - its reflexive and I needed to work on forming different reflexes - retrain my brain so to speak and the body will follow.  In my opinion and experience, anxiety is very personal, and so is what works for each of us. But band-aids (the kind taken daily) are not a long term solution, and far more harmful then helpful.

Anyway, I'm sure I don't know anyone on here anymore, but I just wanted to wish everyone well. And thank you to the admins for not deleting or inactivating my account  :)

Best to all,

Danielle

(icandothis)

Thank you, Danielle. I’m almost at 7 months off and I can’t remember my last window. It’s living hell - and what makes it worse is this nightmare is SO PREVENTABLE, but I digress.

Thank you for offering desperately needed hope from the other side.

Thank you, Danielle......Very kind of you to take time to write and give us a little encouragement....You know how important these success stories are for us....

Cheers,

Alan

Thank you for stopping by to share your success. It is very helpful to read stories like yours. You really did the work required to manage the anxiety...congratulations! Enjoy your wellness!

With appreciation,

Carita :smitten:

Danielle,

You're right! Band aids don't help long term....and can do more harm than good! Glad you're doing well! Congratulations and glad life is better for you!

B strong