I'M READY TO SAY IT'S OVER!

[Ki...]

This post is long overdue...

I am closing in on 4 years benzo-free (as of Aug '19) and I'm doing very well. At least 95% of my symptoms have disappeared, for which I'm incredibly grateful.

I could've written this success story about 10 months ago, in my 3rd year, but I waited to make sure it was really over.

When I say I am healed, I want to be clear that my withdrawal/benzo damage is in the rear view mirror but I do have a few lingering issues that I believe are a result of having lived such a small and sheltered life for close to 6 years. As an example; I have ongoing stomach issues which I believe was from limiting my diet so much during my taper and withdrawal. I will say though, even that has greatly improved, but does still flare up.

I went from being bedridden, to playing sports 6 days a week. I also try and walk/hike every day. My exercise intolerance was so low at one point that I couldn't walk around the block...so this pretty amazing.

I do still have anxiety, but it would be irrational to assume that I wouldn't. I've had anxiety since I was a child, its a part of me, but it doesn't rule me like it once did. Benzo fear/chemical anxiety is much different then regular anxiety and I'm managing with it just fine.

I also held true to the promise I made to myself when I first realized what had happened to me. I promised I wouldn't go away quietly and that I would find away to tell my story and help all of us who've had to experience this.

I have started openly talking about my experience with benzos to friends/family/doctors/peers and have been mostly met with compassion. I launch my very own podcast in August that deals with all aspects of mental health issues, including recovery from psych meds. I've been a guest on various  podcasts where I speak openly about mental health and recovery and the tools we can use as a first-line approach to wellness that does not include medication. I've been interviewed for magazines, written for blogs and I wrote a memoir set to be released in early 2020 (it's with the editors now). It's exciting to know that I'm strong enough to help make a difference and I plan to continue pushing the envelope. We are a community of people who deserve to have their message heard.

I wish you all peace, love and healing  :smitten:

I also held true to the promise I made to myself when I first realized what had happened to me. I promised I wouldn't go away quietly and that I would find away to tell my story and help all of us who've had to experience this.

I have started openly talking about my experience with benzos to friends/family/doctors/peers and have been mostly met with compassion. I launch my very own podcast in August that deals with all aspects of mental health issues, including recovery from psych meds. I've been a guest on various  podcasts where I speak openly about mental health and recovery and the tools we can use as a first-line approach to wellness that does not include medication. I've been interviewed for magazines, written for blogs and I wrote a memoir set to be released in early 2020 (it's with the editors now). It's exciting to know that I'm strong enough to help make a difference and I plan to continue pushing the envelope. We are a community of people who deserve to have their message heard.

I wish you all peace, love and healing  :smitten:

If you'd like to follow the podcast/mental health platform the best way would be through Instgram: @author.nicoledalcourt OR on Facebook at: The Things I Couldn't Say - Nicole C. Dalcourt

Nicole, warmest congratulations and huge respect to you! So happy for your wellness. I appreciate your service as moderator, that you came back to post your success story, and that you're going to use your hard-earned experience in such a meaningful way.

Could you perhaps describe your lingering gut issues, and the form of your remaining anxiety?

Wishing you a joyful future, continued healing, and success with your advocacy and memoir.

Wildflower

Say it Nicole!!! :D So happy it is over for you and I hope I will be able to say the same thing soon. Looking forward to your podcast. :thumbsup:

This is wonderful news!!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

I'd been reading your posts in the past and am so happy you're pretty much free from the benzo curse. Thanks so much for not going quietly and instead coming back to give us the good news. Always appreciated!!! Go forth and have a lovely life!!! :smitten:

Ok, I'm so totally beyond impressed.

Perused some of your facebook stuff available.

Incredible.  Amazing, really.  :)

Will spend more time reading you there when I have the time. 

Congrats, Kiddo!!!

Congratulations on your healing. Is there any way you could talk about mental symptoms and how they got better over time? Thank you.

Hello Kiddo,

Congratulations on your healing, it wasn't an easy journey for you, as is the case for many of us.  Your attitude is amazing. Your inner strength has allowed you to come out from behind the stigma of benzo withdrawal to share your experience with people. This will ultimately help others who find themselves in this situation.

Thanks for this and for coming back to share your story.

PG  :smitten:

Dearest Kiddo,

This is what we all wait for! The success stories from our fellow survivors! This makes my day dear one. You've shown what it's like to be courageous in the face of deep struggle.  Your bravery carried me many times and I thank you for that. Those early days were tough.

I am very happy to hear of your efforts to tell your story. You've been busy! I will certainly tune in and follow your progress.

My husband and I are also speaking out. We are working to educate medical providers about the risks of benzodiazepine use. Our website is Benzoreform.org. It is a good place to refer physicians who are not benzo wise. Together with our board and volunteers we hope to raise awareness. I believe there is tremendous power in our collective stories. We can make a difference!

Love to you and your beautiful family. The offer of a beach week on the Oregon coast still stands!

Carita :smitten:

Congratulations! And a Big Thank You for returning to tell your story.  This is helpful for me and for all on this forum looking for hope.  Blessings.

Congrats!!!! I love your personal fortitude! That is what it takes to get off of this horrible drug.

It seems the benzos help short term but at the same time are setting one up for the fight of their life. Doctors seem to be your worst nightmare as they do more damage than good.  I too tell my story to anyone that will listen, most dont really get it. Many doctors are so arrogant they seem apathetic about the issue, dont understand the true damage the Benzo causes and no clue on how to get you off these drugs.

I am 4.5 months off C. I used a very gradual taper from 4mG that took me 11 months. It was hard but not as bad as some I read about. I have found IF I sleep I feel pretty good. My cog fog is lifting, my emotions are back, and my body is starting to heal.

Again, congrats on your story. We all need to hear from survivors!

J

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing and for all of the work that you are doing to educate the public about this issue. It is important to have more people standing up to big-pharma and the quick-fix complex we've created especially in America.

na-  :angel: