Coming off klonopin

[...]

RSX, I am so proud of what you have accomplished, in terms of research, staying calm, accepting the nastiness of going through withdraw, and you have stayed upbeat, even when in pain or scared.

I feel like 90% of our ability to get through withdraw is how we think, and putting our energy into acceptance, not fighting symptoms. I could go on and on in regards to acceptance and attitude, but your posts express that you have been in that place at least since you joined us.

Thanks for letting us know how your doing as well, and you might think about starting your own blogs in these forums:

Benzo-free Celebrations

Success Stories

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Pa...]

• [ba...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks baddove and pamster, you two have been with me since the beginning and I appreciate it. It was pretty rotten, but what kept me going was a calendar with a schedule and a plan. I wish I could reflect more, but most of it was a blur. I accepted the way things were going to be for a while, the battle to defeat a drug problem is usually fought alone. The same challenge, every day. I regret not keeping a daily log, would have put it somewhere but, hindsight is 20/20 and I wasn't thinking back then. With Dr Ashton passing away in the middle of the episode, it motivated me to keep looking ahead and not to sweat the small stuff. Just throw it all in a proverbial box and put it in a closet somewhere then forget about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont mean to cause any unnecessary alarm, but something terrible happened. A few weeks ago I tried to come off paxil and seroquel. I didnt think there would be any seroquel withdrawals because I was able to taper 50mg at a time from 350 without a problem. Needless to say I was bedridden, lost 20lbs, etc. Went back on the paxil, stabilized. Eventually caved and restarted seroquel at 25mg, then 50mg. That worked for a week but as of yesterday it pooped out and the withdrawals came back and today they're pretty horrible. Today I took something like 150mg of seroquel, no luck.

So im making the decision to come off the seroquel again, but this time I'll have family support. Although it concerns me, I dont care too much if I have to take some klonopin for a while, it's easier to come off of. I sweated out a couple of weeks on the couch. No sleep, no food, not much water. I had my bunny rabbit but even she got annoyed. I was so nauseous, sweating, just horrible.

I've heard awful things about coming off both Paxil and Seroquel, did you try to do them both at the same time?  Are you saying you're going back on Klonopin?

I did come off both, but that didn't last long and I was back on the paxil within a week. The seroquel is a different story, it's very deceptive. Most people don't feel any withdrawals until they're clean and I didn't catch on for a long time. It's been about three weeks since all this started and I've taken ativan a handful of times. Benzos won't do much for withdrawals from antipsychotics. There were a few times during the seroquel w/d's that no benzos worked, for example I took like 3mg of ativan to no avail. They're very debilitating. Sweats/chills, crying, feeling hopeless, severe insomnia, the list goes on but the worst by far is nausea. The nerves that are affected by seroquel live in our stomach, unfortunetely.

This past week I only took 0.25 of klonopin and then half of that, but this morning I took a small dose which did nothing, then about two hours ago I took 0.75mg and I feel better. I'm capable of doing without it, and I'll be at my parents house where they'll be able to help me eat and try to stay in one piece. But I like to know that it's still an option.

Didn't like Ativan, it was real spotty. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it didn't. When I was at the dentist a few months ago I took something like 1.5mg and it didn't do much after an hour or so. I had a deep cleaning that day. Then a few weeks ago during the withdrawals I took 1mg, nothing. Next time was 1mg or so, it worked. A few days later, 3mg and nothing. I gave it up a few weeks ago. I wanted it because of its shorter halflife but, not for me. Temazepam was another lousy one, 30-60 felt dirty and 90 made me sick.

Today I took a real small piece of klonopin, twice spaced out between an hour or two, I think it was 0.5 total and did nothing. Then later that day when the nausea and anxiety and panic attacks started, I took 0.75 and it worked. So, who knows. I'm going to stay with my parents and toughen out the seroquel. First time I did it, was completely unprepared. With the corona virus thing going on, I live in a poor part of town while they're much better off. They have food, friendly pets, and somebody to talk to when the shtf. I feel fine right now but it's not going to last.

It's good you can stay with you parents, but again, please don't reach for a benzo to get you through the withdrawals from the other drugs, it doesn't make sense. 

It's been two weeks as of today, still having mild headaches but it's manageable. The bigger issue: After having restless leg syndrome for the past few months, every day, I finally figured out it's due to Paxil. It's also causing sinus problems before bed, every night. I'm taking 10mg and attempted to do a 20% cut, that went down in flames so I bumped it up to 10% and it's doable, I think. Is there any section on here for ssri's? That would really help.

For my restless leg syndrome I take iron - google it - it has made a big difference in my RLS.

Also, when RLS is really bad, take a bath as hot as you can stand it on your legs.  When I do this, the RLS will be gone for the rest of the night.

Let the benzo go.  It won’t help.  You can see that it doesn’t.  It’s not a solution.  These meds are not helpful.  I hope you can reframe your thinking that they ‘might be. ‘. They are addictive and that’s never a good thing. 

Take care

Wish you well, but your signature says

you tapered of benzos. Try to stay off

them. You worked hard to get off.

Thank you.

I've heard awful things about coming off both Paxil and Seroquel, did you try to do them both at the same time?  Are you saying you're going back on Klonopin?

Hi Pamster. I've been staying at my parents house for the last week, coming off of seroquel. It's been pretty lousy but I'm having good days/hours. Most common withdrawals are nausea, dry-heaving, weakness, itching. Had a few headaches a few nights ago, but it's mostly nausea and anxiety.

In the last week since I've been here, I've only taken klonopin once. A single dose of 0.125mg (0.5 cut into fourths). Did nothing.

I'm very worried that I'm going through post acute from the klonopin, but these symptoms have only come up since I quit seroquel. Up to the end of the klonopin taper and for a month afterwards, there were none of these symptoms. And I read paws only affects 10% of users. Please tell me I'm being paranoid? 

It's been two weeks as of today, still having mild headaches but it's manageable. The bigger issue: After having restless leg syndrome for the past few months, every day, I finally figured out it's due to Paxil. It's also causing sinus problems before bed, every night. I'm taking 10mg and attempted to do a 20% cut, that went down in flames so I bumped it up to 10% and it's doable, I think. Is there any section on here for ssri's? That would really help.

For my restless leg syndrome I take iron - google it - it has made a big difference in my RLS.

Also, when RLS is really bad, take a bath as hot as you can stand it on your legs.  When I do this, the RLS will be gone for the rest of the night.

It was related to seroquel. It's been persitent for months, and ceased after I discontinued. Now I'm dealing with seroquel withdrawals.

Hi Pamster. I've been staying at my parents house for the last week, coming off of seroquel. It's been pretty lousy but I'm having good days/hours. Most common withdrawals are nausea, dry-heaving, weakness, itching. Had a few headaches a few nights ago, but it's mostly nausea and anxiety.

In the last week since I've been here, I've only taken klonopin once. A single dose of 0.125mg (0.5 cut into fourths). Did nothing.

I'm very worried that I'm going through post acute from the klonopin, but these symptoms have only come up since I quit seroquel. Up to the end of the klonopin taper and for a month afterwards, there were none of these symptoms. And I read paws only affects 10% of users. Please tell me I'm being paranoid?

I'm glad to hear you've only taken a bit of Klonopin, and glad to hear it didn't help!  I'd say keep doing what you're doing, I'm feeling good about your chances of getting past this.  Keep us posted, we want to know what's happening.  :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear you've only taken a bit of Klonopin, and glad to hear it didn't help!  I'd say keep doing what you're doing, I'm feeling good about your chances of getting past this.  Keep us posted, we want to know what's happening.  :thumbsup:

Terrible. Its been a very unpredictable week,, things slowly improved and I had a good day the other day. Then today, no sleep and vomiting, panic attacks. Can't sleep tonight either. K keep dry heaving and panic attacks.

When I close my eyes, I feel a panic attack come on and immediately wake up. These past night's I was able to sleep about four hours but wake up early morning like 2 or 4 and immediately throw up and panic. I feel horrible and the worst part is things were slowly improving but now they're horrible again.

You don't sound good, I'm so sorry, are you keeping hydrated?  I have to ask, are you running a fever?  Just want to make sure we're dealing with withdrawal rather than a virus.

Yes, staying hydrated. No fever, we're abiding by the quarantine (except walking around the park).

Something unusual: My days are fine. Mostly. Up until yesterday everything was fine, was mostly normal. And then yesterday/last night, things spiriled out of control and it became the worst night ever. No sleep, anxiety, nausea, etc. This hasn't been the case for a number of weeks. I was always able to sleep a few nights, The problem used to be before bed, I would vomit, then sleep. That went away a few days ago. Then wake up a few hours later, get sick, and not be able to sleep. That was still ongoing but it was easing up.

Seroquel was prescribed because of a sleep disorder, a significant one. And it worked but I got off of it due to side effects. My days are fine due to paxil. They were getting progressively better and finally all day was mostly normal. But the nights were still very messed up.

I think it's rebound syndrome. The seroquel is gone and the original problem has resurfaced. Am I completely over the withdrawals? Probably not but it shouldnt be this bad anymore.

What I did, early this morning was took 0.75 of klonopin. And it's taken the edge off, I wasn't expecting to have a good day because last night was so terrible. I'm calling my doctor later to make an appointment that's sooner than the one I already have, see what she says. Might want to try buspar, I dont know.   

Benzos won't do much for Seroquel withdrawal, they affect serotonin, histamine and dopamine.  Also feel the need to mention that a couple weeks into the Seroquel withdrawal, I was taking lorazepam which did absolutely nothing, even at 3mg.

You don't sound good, I'm so sorry, are you keeping hydrated?  I have to ask, are you running a fever?  Just want to make sure we're dealing with withdrawal rather than a virus.

After last night, I strongly suspect rebound. The panic disorder that was being treated by Seroquel came back after the withdrawals were over, and it was ruining ANY chance of recovery. I don't think it's ptsd because it doesn't show any of the other symptoms.

My day was fine. Took a dose somewhere around 0.6mg in the evening and had a great appetite (for once), my dad brought home Wendy's and it was amazing. You dont realize how good food really tastes until you've gone a month with no appetite.  Slept for 10 hours (which in unheard of, I was always lucky to get 4). Woke up at 4:30 with some usual anxiety symptoms and took a 0.25 and I think I feel better. Normally I would be waking up, dry heaving for two hours and feeling shaky, weak, overheated. It's not worth it and it will never go away otherwise.

Dont remember if I mentioned the specific symptom yet. My days were normal again but I would lay down and close my eyes, get relaxed. Then a strange sensation comes over me, I see something with my eyes closed but don't know what it is. Then like a shock of electricity, a vicious panic attack hits like a tidal wave and I'm awake sitting up. Scared, heart racing at 150bpm, paranoid, crying. Soon feeling nauseous, intense dry heaving, feeling sweaty and overheated. Then 10 minutes later, it disappears and I'm able to calm down. Soon I'll relax and lay down. Close my eyes and the process starts all over again. That's one of the symptoms the Seroquel was helping, but not anymore.

I used to have a recurring nightmare of waking up in the night and feeling like I swallowed needles and that I'm about to die. I would run to the kitchen sink, stick my finger down my throat and try to expunge it. It was dreadful, it was painful.

When I tapered off the Klonopin, it was never my intention to go down to zero because like Dr Ashton has said, benzodiazipines do have a legitimate use for mental health. So, I'll be here for a while. I don't know how long but I don't want to suffer and be in pain. I'm 38 years old and I'd like to be able to live my life, take care of my family and work.

Im seeing my doctor in a few days, will suggest being put on Buspar and see how that works out. Currently I'm on paxil and it works for my daytime anxiety.

I'm grateful for this community, everyone has been so helpful and I hope I can find another solution.

Your issues are totally out of my experience, I wish you would post on the Other Medications board or even the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) because not very many people read the introductions area since it's used basically to welcome folks to the forum, then they move to other areas. 

I feel you would get more support if you asked your questions or outlined your symptoms in those parts of the forum, I'm stumped. 

Your issues are totally out of my experience, I wish you would post on the Other Medications board or even the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) because not very many people read the introductions area since it's used basically to welcome folks to the forum, then they move to other areas. 

I feel you would get more support if you asked your questions or outlined your symptoms in those parts of the forum, I'm stumped.

Things are getting better! The Seroquel withdrawals seem to have passed as of a few days ago. Still a few lingering effects but for the most part, doing good. As for the Klonopin: I'm using as little as possible. It was 0.75 at night for two days, then 0.25 morning and 0.5 at night for a couple more days. The early morning panic attacks have subsided so I dropped the morning dose and only take 0.5 at night. Next plan to move down will come hopefully soon, time will tell. I feel a lot better without the Seroquel, it was some very, very bad stuff.

• 1 year later...

Here's where the fun never stops. Last left off when I was coming off seroquel two years ago. Now that was one hell of an experience, didn't want to be reminded of it. All I remember is dry-heaving and panic attacks of the likes nobody here has ever experienced before. I think the longest I stayed up was four days straight because as soon as I closed my eyes, the worst panic and sickness came over me and I'd have to throw up bile into a plastic bag for 10 minutes.

Since then, I came off Paxil because it was nasty and the side effects were vicious. Switched it for wellbutrin and that was fun for a while, then it gave out. Can't say anything bad about it. From there, went to Lexapro and although it worked at 10mg, the side effects were vicious (more specifically, restless leg syndrome for up to 5 hours a night). Then onto zoloft and it worked then gave out, increased and the cycle continued until I hit the maximum dose and finally got the message. It was promising but, wasn't meant to be. Then went onto Cymbalta by doing a cross-taper up to 60mg. Side effects and lack of efficacy issues. I've been taking about 1.5mg klonopin but it wasn't enough. Recently tried xanax xr but it's not very popular and I can see why: It requires 3-6mg for therapeutic benefit, it's not covered by insurance, and it requires a fatty meal 1-2 hours prior to taking it. My doctor was only willing to prescribe 1mg twice daily, which was ineffective.

Currently, I am taking 3mg of klonopin (1mg 3x daily) and 20mg of cymbalta. 30mg was too high, I had the same side effects from every drug before that and I'll probably come off of it in a few weeks if it does the same thing, which I'm predicting it will.

Being treatment-resistant, the next step is spravato/esketamine treatment. I'm going to see one new doctor tomorrow and another one next week. If I have to take 3mg to have my life back to somewhat normal, that's the breaks and we are all out of ideas. Tried ssri's, snri's, antipsychotics and nothing has worked. I'm hoping that ketamine will because my impression is that it's the end of the line for treatment options when everything else has failed.

There's a phenomena that came up fairly recently: My father moved from california (here) to as far away as possible (florida) about a week ago, and I've noticed my heart condition/mood/energy has been improving. Rewind back to 10 years ago when I started talking to him after being distant for a long time, that's when the symptoms of ptsd returned. Prior to that, I was unmedicated. I told more than one doctor (and I'm friends with a psychologist who has a phd) about one specific symptom every other night: The feeling that something thin and sharp is lodged in my throat, I wake up and run to the sink and stick my finger down my throat to get it out. After a minute or so, finally realizing it was a dream.

These days it's all about my heart racing, which leads to feeling lightheaded, stomach sickness, the runs, lack of appetite. The klonopin and cymbalta is keeping it down so I can do normal things during the week.

Just a follow-up, with some good news: My doctor was lousy, found a new one. She listened to me for an hour then determined, from the symptoms, that an ssri/snri was neither necessary nor was it safe for me due to the rare adverse side effects (that herself and two other doctors have never seen). Changed to a beta blocker (proponolol), doing 95% better, working on tapering the klonopin (again). She also ordered some kind of genetic test kit. I've been off the cymbalta (jumped off at 20mg) for about a week and I'm still having some withdrawals but they're slowly improving and they don't get in the way of daily life. The same thing happened when dropping 60 to 30 and then again 30 to 20.

Side effects from cymbalta are gone, no more libido/urinating issues, and my dreams have gone back to normal. Not planning to come down from 3mg to zero, the goal is something more realistic. I'm thinking 0.5mg twice daily because it does work but only time will tell and it's going to be at least two months.

Its good to hear you're feeling so much better off of the Cymbalta, I'm glad you're going to hold off making anymore changes for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pamster. It's been what, 2 years now? We really have to stop meeting like this, lol.

Turns out I dont need an SSRI/SNRI because the real issue starts with unprovoked heart palpitations. I dont have worrying thoughts (except for the ones that people should have). Those are treated with beta blockers, two of which are used for anxiety. I was started with proponolol and my mood/energy/sleep/heart/anxiety improved 90% (after the cymbalta withdrawals wore off, the last 20mg were hard to shake). I'm back to my previous cynical, working, up to no good mischievous self of committing petty crimes and ignoring everybody while trying to get through the day. But that's a first-generation beta blocker, not specific to any of the receptors and has a higher incidence of side effects that won't show for a while. Plus it has to be taken 3-4 times a day, nobody wants to go through that.

Atenolol is also prescribed off-label for anxiety and they've done studies for the efficacy and more specifically, the comparison to proponolol:

https://academic.oup.com/milmed/article/185/11-12/e1954/5874725

The Japanese are always one step ahead of the rest of the world. My racing bike was made by them in 1986 and runs like a dream.

Reviews concur what they've studied: https://www.drugs.com/comments/atenolol/for-anxiety.html

It's a once-daily pill, too. I'm waiting to start it but need to get a blood pressure monitor first, to check for adverse reactions. Didn't have time yesterday, so later today.

And I'm tapering the klonopin again. Went from 3mg to 2.5 within a couple weeks (Thank you, Dr Ashton). The goal is 0.5 twice daily, plus the occasional prn of whatever, but if anybody's been paying attention to this thread, we know it'll be something slightly higher and that's fine. As long as it helps, and I always say life is for the living.

Not sure if I mentioned it, too lazy to scroll, but I tried Xanax XR and it was pretty lousy. Not effective until 3-6mg and needs to be taken 1-2 hours after eating or else you'll lose 20%.

There's one problem: Sourcing enough 0.5mg klonopin pills to taper down. The doctor who put me on 3mg daily won't take me back as a patient and I've seen 3 doctors already who don't want to prescribe more than 0.5 2x daily. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them because although I live in the city, I'm running out of doctors who take my insurance.

As of tomorrow, I'll be at 0.75 3x daily with only 60 pills in the pipeline.